Previous   Next

Have you seen a U.S. president in person?

Asked at Dillons, 4701 W. Sixth St. on December 7, 2011

Browse the archives

“I saw Gerald Ford at Allen Field House and Franklin Roosevelt at a parade in Detroit.”

“I saw Eisenhower in Pittsfield, Mass. when I was a girl. I thought he looked like my math teacher.”

“No.”

“No, I haven’t.”

Comments

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

No, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night . . . .

grammaddy 3 years, 9 months ago

Gerald Ford spoke on the Capitol steps the day I took my newborn daughter home from the hospital. Saw him as we drove by.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 9 months ago

Shook hands with Bill Clinton while he was governor of Arkansas.

George_Braziller 3 years, 9 months ago

Saw Clinton at the mid-west inaugural ball after his first election.

Terry Sexton 3 years, 9 months ago

No actual president, saw Bobby Kennedy at Allen Fieldhouse. What I remember most about it is fighting on the school bus on the way there, or was it after? Another time I saw Abbie Hoffman at AFH. He was PT Barnum re-incarnate. Just there to promote his book that he encouraged us to steal. I do not think Abby would have been electable.

loosecaboose 3 years, 9 months ago

John F. Kennedy inspected us at Navy boot camp in San Diego in 1962.

Kate Rogge 3 years, 9 months ago

Saw candidate John Kennedy speak at a rally at the Wichita Airport. Saw JImmy Carter at the Dole Institute opening, and Bill Clinton speak at both the Lied Center (Dole program) and for the Truman Library in Independence.

Terry Sexton 3 years, 9 months ago

While brevity is the soul of wit, gimme a lil sumthin' babboy. Who'd ya see? And, no, Bill Snyder has never been president, although I would vote for him just to keep him out of Memorial Stadium. He might not appeal to the masses, though, as he comes across a bit w**den.

LogicMan 3 years, 9 months ago

General Washington was impressive, except for those teeth of his.

kochmoney 3 years, 9 months ago

He's definitely got the s eating grin going on.

acg 3 years, 9 months ago

I met Bill Clinton after he was President at a function in Topeka. I got to get my picture taken with him and Kathleen Sebelius who was then Gov of KS. I have met Kathleen numerous times and worked on her campaign as part of my, then, job requirements. She is an extremely nice lady but looks like a muppet in person. Bill Clinton has a charming, relaxing quality to him. He made a joke about bad banquet food but I remember his hands were uber cold.

George_Braziller 3 years, 8 months ago

I was at a small private outdoor party a few months ago and Kathleen was there. I really liked her as Governor, but you're right. She does look a bit like a muppet in person. I think it's the helmet hair.

She must use a can of hairspray a day on it because even when it's windy her hair doesn't move.

JayCat_67 3 years, 9 months ago

I might have been at that one too, if it was for Mr. Landon's 100th birthday. Was there with the KU band. Also saw former president Carter and GW Bush a couple of times.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Alf? Yeah, met him. His firm used to do my taxes. Heard it said the most significant thing he ever did was lose.

gphawk89 3 years, 9 months ago

Shook hands with Ford at a golf tournament in Colorado, but that was several years after he lost to Carter so I'm not sure that that counts. Saw Bush from afar boarding Air Force 1.

Tony Kisner 3 years, 9 months ago

Saw Clinton and the P Funk all stars it was great.

Terry Sexton 3 years, 9 months ago

Adios, Bill Gannon. Condolencias a Gladys. Saludo, Colonel Potter. Tres hurras por Harry Morgan. Also played Truman, I think. Wow, No more Harry.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 9 months ago

no, but I have stood in the places where Reagan and Kennedy were each shot.

xyz 3 years, 9 months ago

Nixon, when I was 3 (he shook my hand and I got his autograph); the Bushes and Quayles at the inaugural parade; and the Fords and Clintons at an event in Vail.

acg 3 years, 9 months ago

Normal, I also stood where Kennedy was shot. It was surreal because I can remember so much of it from the zapruder film. The old fence that ran along the racks right by the depository was still there after all these years. Still don't think Oswald made that shot, but whateva....

roadwarrior 3 years, 9 months ago

Clinton, when he spoke for the Dole Institute. It was a great speech and I shook his hand afterwards. He has an electric presence.

Katara 3 years, 9 months ago

Ronald Reagan in KCMO. He was there for something and our band was the band of honor to play the Hail to the Chief for him.

The Marching Cobras were there too. They were more impressive than he was.

Stephanie Hull 3 years, 9 months ago

I sat across the aisle from President Clinton, Hillary, and Chelsea at Foundry United Methodist Church in 1996. The night before that I got to shake hands with Lady Bird Johnson at a fundraiser.

riverdrifter 3 years, 8 months ago

No, but I've seen The Queen. Long, long ago. I was with a gal named Pam!

"His sister Pam works in a shop She never stops, she's a go-getter Takes him out to look at the queen Only place that he's ever been Always shouts out something obscene Such a dirty old man... Dirty old man..." Was that McCartney or Lennon? I dunno.

H_Lecter 3 years, 8 months ago

Lennon.

rd, Any of your 1999 around here? Wellsville, GKCSC, Harrisonville, or Osage City

jackpot 3 years, 8 months ago

Five. Protected four two in office, two before they were in office.

Sunny Parker 3 years, 8 months ago

haha hitme! I saw Bill Clinton at The Bird in East Lawrence once.

Sunny Parker 3 years, 8 months ago

I would prefer to see a current President behind bars. Now that would make my year!

Sunny Parker 3 years, 8 months ago