Previous   Next

Do you remember learning about the Pearl Harbor attack at school?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 W. 6th St. on December 5, 2011

Browse the archives

“I don’t remember much from school, but I learned about it from my grandfather, who was stationed there after it happened. He wanted us to see it and took about 30 in my family. It meant a lot to him.”

“Yes. Dec. 7, 1941 — it was a surprise attack; Congress declared war by the end of the day. And then the U.S. was in World War II.”

“I don’t remember talking about it in school until college, and then it was people talking about controversy — comparing to administrations and warnings of potential terror attacks. ”

“I don’t remember learning it at school. I think I learned more from movies, but that may be because I’m just more of a visual learner.”

Comments

RoeDapple 3 years ago

I started grade school in 1954. Over the years I have had teachers who served in WW2, My dad and uncle served also, several employers and co-workers who served. One employer was a POW in the Philippines. A co-worker had one thumb and one finger on his left hand, one thumb and two fingers on his right, the rest chopped off while being tortured in a prison camp. Their stories would give me nightmares. I can't even imagine what their dreams would be. So yes, I've heard the stories of Pearl Harbor. Among many other stories.

jackpot 3 years ago

Yes and had a best friend's Dad and Mom married Dec.6,1941 at Pearl Harbor. I heard many stories from him and my Dad's in Europe in WWII.

bad_dog 3 years ago

Pres. Roosevelt was speaking to a second grade class on a Sunday afternoon?

That seems a bit odd-perhaps you have the wrong date? At any rate, the official appointment book archived at the FDR library indicates Roosevelt was at the White House the entire day. He had just finished a meeting with the Chinese ambassador and sat down to lunch when news of the attack reached him. There is no indication of a meeting with or speaking to second graders at any time that day.

billbodiggens 3 years ago

did you get this mixed up with Bush and the Trade Center. that seems to have been his route back home.

bad_dog 3 years ago

That seems plausible; both Presidents during a time of war-easily enough confused ;-)

Say, that reminds me. Did I ever tell you about the time Babe Ruth visited me in the hospital and promised to hit a home run? He did it, then ran the bases backwards while reading a signed first edition of "My Pet Goat". After the press conference he hopped a train to Comiskey Field in Chicago ran the bases there and "high-fived" Al Capone at home plate.

rockchalker52 3 years ago

Learned about Pearl Harbor around age 3 or 4 because the day before is my sister's birthday. Happy Birthday, Sis! Didn't realize the significance for a few years, just knew that the day after sis' big day is Pearl Harbor Day.

JayCat_67 3 years ago

"Germans?" "Forget it. He's rolling."

classclown 3 years ago

Hey Bo. The U.S. didn't declare war on Japan until the next day, Dec 8th.

Somebody not learn you right at school?

billbodiggens 3 years ago

Cue the “Twilight Zone” theme music. . .

Bill Lee 3 years ago

I learned about it in school and from my parents. My dad was in the army at the time, and my mother joned the navy soon after Pearl Harbor was attacked. Dad served in North Africa and India during WWII. Mom built bombers in California.

Growing up as an army brat, I met some survivors, and PH was a natural topic in my history classes. It should still be taught. Too many people know too little history. It has a lot to teach us.

Hudson Luce 3 years ago

A friend of mine's grandfather was there and saw the whole thing from his office window. If you saw "Tora, Tora, Tora", he was the naval officer who said "This is no drill, this is no drill", and he wrote a paper in March 1941 which predicted the attack and was ignored. He was a pretty hard core guy.

Grammaton 3 years ago

Ms. Reinfelds is misquoted (I was with her when answering the question). What she said she remembered (this isn't verbatim) was talk about the controversy of whether the administration had foreknowledge of the attack, and comparing that to whether the administration had foreknowledge of the 9/11 attack.

Jayhawk_4_Life 3 years ago

Uhhh, I graduated high school in 2007 and I learned plenty about Pearl Harbor...I have no idea what these people are talking about.