Previous   Next

Do you remember learning about the Pearl Harbor attack at school?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 W. 6th St. on December 5, 2011

Browse the archives

“I don’t remember much from school, but I learned about it from my grandfather, who was stationed there after it happened. He wanted us to see it and took about 30 in my family. It meant a lot to him.”

“Yes. Dec. 7, 1941 — it was a surprise attack; Congress declared war by the end of the day. And then the U.S. was in World War II.”

“I don’t remember talking about it in school until college, and then it was people talking about controversy — comparing to administrations and warnings of potential terror attacks. ”

“I don’t remember learning it at school. I think I learned more from movies, but that may be because I’m just more of a visual learner.”

Comments

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 4 months ago

Uhhh, I graduated high school in 2007 and I learned plenty about Pearl Harbor...I have no idea what these people are talking about.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 4 months ago

Pearl Harbor was Roosevelt's 9/11, 9/11 was Bush's Pearl Harbor.

Don'tacceptwhitewashedhistory

Grammaton 2 years, 4 months ago

Ms. Reinfelds is misquoted (I was with her when answering the question). What she said she remembered (this isn't verbatim) was talk about the controversy of whether the administration had foreknowledge of the attack, and comparing that to whether the administration had foreknowledge of the 9/11 attack.

Hudson Luce 2 years, 4 months ago

A friend of mine's grandfather was there and saw the whole thing from his office window. If you saw "Tora, Tora, Tora", he was the naval officer who said "This is no drill, this is no drill", and he wrote a paper in March 1941 which predicted the attack and was ignored. He was a pretty hard core guy.

Odeo 2 years, 4 months ago

Starlight 2 years, 4 months ago

Dad's living quarters were where the Hilton parking lot is now. They had to take a small gauge train to a point where a boat took them across part of the harbor, crisscrossing through the Navy ships trying to exit the harbor, to a truck which then took them up the hill to their gun. Then Dad had to read the manual, while being strafed, to get directions to change the gun cam from firing shrapnel rounds to firing the high explosive loads the soldiers were hauling to the guns(200# boxes).

Talk about a front row seat. Really messed with his island tropic, marry a Dutch/Polynesian island girl, life on the beach.

Bill Lee 2 years, 4 months ago

I learned about it in school and from my parents. My dad was in the army at the time, and my mother joned the navy soon after Pearl Harbor was attacked. Dad served in North Africa and India during WWII. Mom built bombers in California.

Growing up as an army brat, I met some survivors, and PH was a natural topic in my history classes. It should still be taught. Too many people know too little history. It has a lot to teach us.

BABBOY 2 years, 4 months ago

I am pretty sure they talked about in school. I think they mentioned or talked about it every 12-7.

RoeDapple 2 years, 4 months ago

Roosevelt was a backdoor man?

autie 2 years, 4 months ago

always with the conspiracy theory....It was Colonel Mustard, on the grassy knoll, with a candlestick holder.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 4 months ago

Also Bo, it wasn't a sneak attack.

Roosevelt provoked the attack, knew about it in advance and covered up his failure to warn the Hawaiian commanders. MacArthur was Roosevelt's pawn, keeping his air force grounded in the Philippines so it could be destroyed. Roosevelt desperately needed the Japanese to attack to get Hitler to declare war with the U.S. since the public and Congress were against entering the war in Europe. Because of the Tripartite Pact, Germany and Italy declared war with the U.S. on Dec 11th. Roosevelt then pursued the doctrine of Europe first, pushing most of the resources towards the war in Europe.

It was Roosevelt's backdoor to war.

profound 2 years, 4 months ago

Nope, it must have happened after 4th grade.

classclown 2 years, 4 months ago

Hey Bo. The U.S. didn't declare war on Japan until the next day, Dec 8th.

Somebody not learn you right at school?

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 4 months ago

Who didn't learn when the Germans attacked Pearl Harbor while in school? Our educational system is broken.

g_rock 2 years, 4 months ago

Yep, did. But I found it odd that until I was in high school, our US history trailed off after WWII. I think that our grade school teachers may have not updated their curriculum since then?

CWGOKU 2 years, 4 months ago

I learned about it from watching television, like everything else I learned. TV makes you smart

rockchalker52 2 years, 4 months ago

Learned about Pearl Harbor around age 3 or 4 because the day before is my sister's birthday. Happy Birthday, Sis! Didn't realize the significance for a few years, just knew that the day after sis' big day is Pearl Harbor Day.

hitme 2 years, 4 months ago

President Roosevelt was in the front of our second grade class when the second wave attacked. He went to the media room, made a speech, then flew to Barksdale base in Louisiana, Offutt base in Nebraska, and then back to Washington.

jackpot 2 years, 4 months ago

Yes and had a best friend's Dad and Mom married Dec.6,1941 at Pearl Harbor. I heard many stories from him and my Dad's in Europe in WWII.

RoeDapple 2 years, 4 months ago

I started grade school in 1954. Over the years I have had teachers who served in WW2, My dad and uncle served also, several employers and co-workers who served. One employer was a POW in the Philippines. A co-worker had one thumb and one finger on his left hand, one thumb and two fingers on his right, the rest chopped off while being tortured in a prison camp. Their stories would give me nightmares. I can't even imagine what their dreams would be. So yes, I've heard the stories of Pearl Harbor. Among many other stories.