Previous   Next

Have you ever been in a traffic accident?

Asked at Hy Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on December 2, 2011

Browse the archives

“Yes, about four weeks ago, in Denver, on the highway.”

“No, never. I’m a good driver. ”

“Several. One was a Jaws-of-Life situation. I was not at fault.”

“No.”

Comments

purplesage 3 years ago

Yes. Some guy who was high, driving a minivan that wasn't his, had no license or insurance (naturally), turned left in the middle of the block, where there was no drive or street, nothing fut the side of my car. It about knocked me out. My insurance paid the tab. Bum deal, no long term injuries, thankfully.

rockchalker52 3 years ago

Three that I can think of, driving as a teenager. Since then just one guy plowing into me & I smacked Bambi into the next forest with the F150. Do door dings count? cuz this guy at Target the other day....

labmonkey 3 years ago

I would actually want to stay out of the car with Holly... usually people who feel the need to brag are overcompensating...

RoeDapple 3 years ago

Not since 1969. Before that it was rumored I would roll my car if I got bored. Never due to a bad tranny though. Are all these automotive questions lately somehow related to . . . . nah. Couldn't be . . .

RoeDapple 3 years ago

Nowadays it seems the deer get the blame. Back in the day it was always "some old lady pulled out and I had to swerve . . .". Inattentive driving and lead in the right shoe are responsible for most accidents. (IMHO)

RoeDapple 3 years ago

Back in '47 BR (Before Roe) my parents and sister were in a passenger train that collided with a fuel tanker truck. Most of the cars were covered in burning gasoline so my folk, in the wisdom only young parents can have, threw my then four month old sister out the window into the gravel and brush of the RR right of way. The fire was out moments later due to the cold rainy weather and the fast burning fuel. She's been gone 10 years now but I always teased her that being thrown away could explain a lot in her regard . . . .

Christine Pennewell Davis 3 years ago

one, I was not driving but on sixth street game day traffic box van no windows in the lane next to us so the poor guy did not have a chance to see us. He was so freaked out felt worse for him then us.FYI i hate sixth st now.

purplesage 3 years ago

So YOU were the guy that the witnesses said got out of the passenger side and ran down toward 21st street????

I don't think it was w**d that made the driver high though. Something a little more potent, I fear. Plus, when TPD showed up 45 minutes later, they started screaming obscenitites at the guy from 50' away. Turns out he caused an accident about 2 or 3 years earlier that put a Shawnee County deputy, who was directing traffic at a fatality accident, in the hospital for months and off the job for a couple of years.

Eugehne Normandin 3 years ago

I was invovled in a few auto accidents but only one happened in traffic.

Bill Lee 3 years ago

A few. The most recent was two weeks after I got my car, and less than a block from my insurance agent's office. I just walked over and reported it to her. The adjuster was there before the cops arrived.

My worst was in 1971 when I had a head on collision with a DOT snowplow in a blizzard. His bumper was a lot bigger than mine. I ended up with a broken arm and a totalled '69 New Yorker. I still have the scars to prove it.

RoeDapple 3 years ago

"Thank (G)god for cell phones."

Gee, I dunno tracy_g . . .

I got mine through AT&T . . .

Flap Doodle 3 years ago

In Colorado a few years ago, I was involved in an alcohol-related accident. A beer truck sideswiped my parked car.

Loki 3 years ago

Once, at a young age, I asked my mother why they, her and my father, didn't have me a month sooner as I would be a grade higher in school. She told me to go ask my father. Upon asking my father the same question, it was at this time I learned about the first accident I was involved in....