Previous   Next

Have you ever rented a vehicle?

Asked at Dillons, 4701 W. Sixth St. on December 1, 2011

Browse the archives

“I rented a truck for moving.”

“I haven’t. I’ve always owned.”

“No.”

“No.”

Comments

Loki 2 years, 12 months ago

They should start renting ladies of the night ;)

Brent Cagle 2 years, 12 months ago

I think at least one of those four people are confusing "renting" with "leasing".

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 12 months ago

Oh yes, I sure did! In 1988 or so I went to southern California for only a weekend, and rented a brand new Chevrolet Beretta, unlimited miles!

And wow, did I ever drive all over the place, hitting all the old spots in and around Los Angeles and San Diego just about nonstop. I was only in California for a weekend, and when I picked up the car it had less than 12,000 miles. When I dropped it off two or three days later, it had over 13,000 miles on it.

I forget the exact miles on the odometer, I only remember the result of calculating how fast I had driven the car on average the whole time I had it. The result: I drove it 11.9 miles per hour 24/7 the whole time I had it.

Alamo surely lost money on that deal!

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 12 months ago

During "rush hour", that's going pretty fast.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 12 months ago

In 1988 or so, traffic in southern California was nothing like it is today, most of the time I was really moving. But, it was slower than it was in 1974. And I didn't sleep much, because I wanted to go see just about everywhere I had good times at when I was younger.

In 1974 I was a passenger in a car being driven by a friend on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood, and by weaving around all the other cars, he was able to hit 60 mph!

Today: Hope for 5 to 10 mph on Sunset Boulevard, and that's when all the lights are green.

RoeDapple 2 years, 12 months ago

Yes, on several occasions. Vacation destinations, once after a traffic accident (wife's) while her car was in the shop and even motor bikes back in the '60's a couple of times. Oh, and then there was the tranny incident . . . but no need to go through that again . . .

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 12 months ago

I think it would be better to use salt spray on the occupiers of the governor's office, and there's only one way to do that.

Send them all away to the beach, and then when it storms plenty of salt spray will hit them.

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 12 months ago

In my younger and no car or beater car days, renting one for a road trip was the way to go. I can't count how many I've rented, not including the one provided after an accident. Renting a vehicle hourly doesn't sound very cost-effective for either the consumer or the provider.

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 12 months ago

OTOH, I can see this as a unique shuttle service to and from the airport.

Richard Payton 2 years, 12 months ago

Back in the day Lawrence had a rental car company called lease a lemon. Maybe, she's only owned lemons. Got to love those lemon laws.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 12 months ago

Lease-A-Lemon?

In 1982 I traded in my Mercury Bobcat, which I think had only about 47,000 miles on it, at Saunders Lincoln-Mercury on 9th Street. The Bobcat was the Mercury version of the Ford Pinto. I traded it in for a used 1978 Ford Fiesta with very few miles on it - only a bit over 12,000. And it was actual! But, that was only one thing that was interesting about that car purchase.

My 1978 Ford Fiesta turned out to be the very last car that Saunders Lincoln-Mercury ever sold. I took delivery on a Friday, and in Monday's newspaper it was announced that Saunders had been sold to Laird Noller Ford.

And - for YEARS my old Mercury Bobcat was driven around town as a Lease-A-Lemon! Once I talked to someone I saw driving it, and asked if I could take a look inside it. At that time, it had 97,000 miles on it, and I saw it around town for years after that!

50,000 miles after I traded it in, it was still going strong as a Lease-A-Lemon. Maybe I should have kept it longer!

rockchalker52 2 years, 12 months ago

Reserved a Dodge Challenger last year for a road trip. They gave us a Taurus. Nice car, though. Cruises fine. The button to open the trunk is right in the middle of the dash. Took me ten minutes to find it.

Rented a 3/4 ton truck to clean up an old farmstead. Took a load to the local dump & the guy with the little 'dozer came by & pushed a pile of garbage on us. Everybody stunk all the way back to the rental place. Truck was funky when we turned it in.

RoeDapple 2 years, 12 months ago

hey cuzins just in case i dont remember to includeded y'all in my semi-anal chrissmass letter here be a blanket wish fer everbody . . .

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 12 months ago

I just rented a car for the weekend to go to Pratt to see my daughter not two weeks ago. Cost me all of 67 bucks and I had unlimited miles. Best deal ever.

Bill Lee 2 years, 12 months ago

Whenever I've needed a car for just a few days I've rented. This has unusally been on trips out of town, but there was a time when I didn't own a car, so would rent one when I didn't want to walk or ride the bus. When my car was in the shop for two weeks, my insurance paid for a car rental. They picked me up!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 12 months ago

The problem with trannys is you can never get the cruise control to shut off.

RoeDapple 2 years, 12 months ago

I did NOT have relations with that tranny. . .

There, I said it. Was I as convincing as Bill Clinton

scopi_guy 2 years, 12 months ago

I rented a vehicle once, a black sedan It was great Took me anywhere I wanted to go Had pictures and candy Also took me to the nearest star

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 12 months ago

Once in Calf. they said it was a car, somekinda Chrylser peace of crap, about got killed on the freeways,--spit sputter.