Previous   Next

What is your preferred brand of bottled water?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 31, 2011

Browse the archives

“Tap water. Bottled water is bad for the environment.”

“Smartwater.”

“Tap water. I usually bring it in my own bottle. ”

“I don’t drink bottled water. I don’t know why.”

Comments

Clint Church 3 years, 1 month ago

We have indoor plumbing so I get it out of the faucet.

Bill Lee 3 years, 1 month ago

Add me to the tap water column. Lawrence has good tasting water.

Liberty275 3 years, 1 month ago

Tasteless plebes. San Pellegrino.

Liberty275 3 years, 1 month ago

Do you use 70, 80 or 90% hamburger? I like the one with the most fat!

labmonkey 3 years, 1 month ago

I like Dasani. I get bottled water because our tap-water tastes like ass in Shawnee, and it pisses the green religious nuts off. These are the same people who for years told us to drink bottled water... now when most people do and it is a billion dollar business, they decide it is bad for the environment.

Liberty275 3 years, 1 month ago

Then you have to buy the C02 injector to make it worth drinking.

gphawk89 3 years, 1 month ago

Tap, through a good filter.

beatrice 3 years, 1 month ago

I only drink Acqua di Cristallo Tributo a Modigliani: http://inventorspot.com/articles/guinness_record_goes_highest_price_water_bottle_acqua_di_cristal_39184

Good idea to ask questions at night. It makes use of the flash mandatory.

FlintlockRifle 3 years, 1 month ago

Like so many before me TAP H20====

dogsandcats 3 years, 1 month ago

Perrier is nice, on occasion, when I'm feeling fancy.

Liberty275 3 years, 1 month ago

That works. In Germany, I aquired a taste for Gerolsteiner Sprudel. Perrier is a nice substitute.

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 1 month ago

Ew. Perrier is a terrible substitute.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 1 month ago

1) Bottled water isn't a good value

Take, for instance, Pepsi's Aquafina or Coca-Cola's Dasani bottled water. Both are sold in 20 ounce sizes and can be purchased from vending machines alongside soft drinks — and at the same price. Assuming you can find a $1 machine, that works out to 5 cents an ounce. These two brands are essentially filtered tap water, bottled close to their distribution point. Most municipal water costs less than 1 cent per gallon.

And that's why there's no shortage of companies that want to get into the business. In terms of price versus production cost, bottled water puts Big Oil to shame.

2) No healthier than tap water

On the other hand, water systems in the developed world are well-regulated. In the U.S., for instance, municipal water falls under the purview of the Environmental Protection Agency, and is regularly inspected for bacteria and toxic chemicals.

3) Bottled water means garbage Bottled water produces up to 1.5 million tons of plastic waste per year. According to Food and Water Watch, that plastic requires up to 47 million gallons of oil per year to produce. And while the plastic used to bottle beverages is of high quality and in demand by recyclers, over 80 percent of plastic bottles are simply thrown away.

Thanks to its slow decay rate, the vast majority of all plastics ever produced still exist — somewhere.

4) Bottled water means less attention to public systems Many people drink bottled water because they don't like the taste of their local tap water, or because they question its safety.

This is like running around with a slow leak in your tire, topping it off every few days rather than taking it to be patched.

5) The corporatization of water In the documentary film Thirst, authors Alan Snitow and Deborah Kaufman demonstrated the rapid worldwide privatization of municipal water supplies, and the effect these purchases are having on local economies.

Water is being called the "Blue Gold" of the 21st century. Thanks to increasing urbanization and population, shifting climates and industrial pollution, fresh water is becoming humanity's most precious resource.

Multinational corporations are stepping in to purchase groundwater and distribution rights wherever they can, and the bottled water industry is an important component in their drive to commoditize what many feel is a basic human right: the access to safe and affordable water.

What can you do? There's a simple alternative to bottled water: buy a stainless steel thermos, and use it. Don't like the way your local tap water tastes? Inexpensive carbon filters will turn most tap water sparkling fresh at a fraction of bottled water's cost.

Want to know more? Start with the Sierra Club's fact sheet on bottled water.

Bottoms up!

Copyright Lighter Footstep 2008

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 1 month ago

Spam makes me thirsty for some fine Norwegian water.

Liberty275 3 years, 1 month ago

Lipton Iced tea bottles work pretty good for scotch. Get off that frat boy vodka and start drinking like a man!

cj123 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't like the taste of bottled water! Ever since I moved out of Lawrence, the tap water tastes a lot better, so I don't drink bottled water anymore. I always remembered city water tasted too much like chlorine!

Richard Heckler 3 years, 1 month ago

For what consumers spend on bottled water they could install an in home reverse osmosis system many times over. Filling up water bottles at home with cleaner water would be real instead of getting duped.

Rae Hudspeth 3 years, 1 month ago

I will drink more tap water when they quit poisoning it with chloramines and fluoride. Chloramines don't "air" out of the water like regular chlorine, and fluoride isn't filtered out by carbon or other filters, only reverse osmosis will get that out. Don't think fluoride is a poison? Have you read your toothpaste tube lately? Call Poison Control if your child swallows it, it's right there on the label.

My water of choice is a refilled big jug at the Merc filter, and refilled carry bottles if needed.

But honestly, we don't need to be sucking on a water bottle all day long. Americans are weird. Most people get enough fluids from food and the occasional beverage, there's no need to water ourselves like drought-starved flowers.

jonas_opines 3 years, 1 month ago

I just drink tapwater, and I wear a stillsuit.

pure_republication 3 years, 1 month ago

I totally agree with merrill above! You should travel to Saudi Arabia and see all the discarded plastic bottles lining the fences along the highways! And they just built a factory to make more plastic bottles! America will be next if we do not stop it!

Get a stainless bottle and fill it with tap water use a carbon filter and it will taste wonderfully.

Keep it going merrill!

HomeSlice 3 years, 1 month ago

It has been said that Lawrence tap water has been consumed seven times before it comes out of your faucet.

Meaning consumed, voided, treated, sent back to the river......seven times 'up stream'.

Yum!