Previous   Next

What book or books geared toward young adults do you think grownups read most often?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 29, 2011

Browse the archives

“Probably Harry Potter.”

“The Harry Potter and Twilight books. My mom read them.”

“Those more childish ones, like Twilight.”

Comments

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years, 3 months ago

The Catcher in the Rye. That is a coming of age book! Mark Chapman shouldn't be reading that damn book! I love that book. Good old Holden Caulfield. He enjoyed the Great Gatsby. Old Gatsby. Old Sport. That killed me.

pure_republication 3 years, 3 months ago

Catcher in the Rye! A great piece good old Caulfield! I also read the Tarzan series and all of Ian Flemings works on Bond, James Bond. There was also Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" that one transformed me bigtime.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 3 months ago

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

clovis_sangrail 3 years, 3 months ago

I still have not finished reading Atlas Shrugged, which I started in 1951.

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

"Cows Are Freaky When They Look at You: An Oral History of the Kaw Valley Hemp Pickers" by Susan Brosseau, Roger Martin, David Ohle

Those of you that were here as it happened know what I'm talkinbout.

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

The Time Quartet/Quintet: by Madeleine L'Engle.

A Wrinkle in Time A Wind in the Door A Swiftly Tilting Planet Many Waters

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

These books along with Tolkien's books were often banned from schools.

trinity 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm a closet "Little House on the Prairie" series reader. Well not anymore. :)

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

Ever read the cookbook that went with the series? Had lot's of fun making the food to go along with our study of the book.

trinity 3 years, 3 months ago

No! Will definitely look it up. I've really enjoyed reading the "after" the series books, written by LIW's daughter Rose...cool stuff.

boxers_or_briefs 3 years, 3 months ago

Yet you care enough to post that you don't care. Thanks for nothing.

goodcountrypeople 3 years, 3 months ago

Lois Lowry's book The Gift is popular among all age groups. Everyone loves Doctor Suess.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 3 months ago

Twilight. Isn't there even a name for 30 something ladies that are obsessed with the Team Edward/Team Jacob love saga. I think it's the fantasy of having two men fighting over them that reels them in..... hum, maybe that's why I read Janet Evanovich's books.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 3 months ago

It's not new by any means but I have always loved the "Dark is Rising" series by Susan Cooper. ("The Dark is Rising", the second book of the actual series, was a Newberry Honoree in 1974. "The Grey King", the fourth book in the series, won the Newberry Medal in 1976.) I loved this series so much that my mother bought it for me as a boxed set for my thirtieth birthday. I still have it thirty years later.

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

What to do if you get arrested

Evidently there are many versions of this book now, couldn't find the hippie version from back in the day.

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

Ickle Bickle Robin, that book is hilarious.

redwombat 3 years, 3 months ago

I've found myself enjoying several late nights immersed in Rick Riordan's 3 current series. Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus (the third one comes out in a few weeks), and the Kane Chronicles are simply fun and I find myself picking up Homer and Virgil to remind me of the original mythology.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 3 months ago

Hmm, didn't Neil Gaiman do that first in "American Gods"? (For adults, admittedly, but still the same plot devices.)