Previous   Next

Who is your current cellphone provider, and what grade would you give its overall service?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 25, 2011

Browse the archives

AT&T and probably a B. Kind of limited access in areas around Lake of the Ozarks, where we spend a lot of time. Real good around here.”

“I have AT&T. I’d give them a B because sometimes you can’t find signal anywhere and the Internet can be really slow, but most of the time it works fine and the phone itself doesn’t seem to have any issues.”

“I have Verizon. I’d say a B because a lot of their phones now, you don’t even have an option — you have to have the data plan. So if you can’t afford that, you’re pretty much screwed.”

AT&T and probably a B because sometimes it’s great, other times it’s just terrible. Also when I travel it’s kind of spotty.”

Comments

cheeseburger 2 years, 7 months ago

I can't believe anyone still falls for the 2-year contract BS. Make 'em earn your patronage every month with good service!

Odeo 2 years, 7 months ago

One thing I do like about land lines....At least for international calls, Ok, calls in general......It is nice to hear the nice soft voice of a multi-linguist whom is asking me about America. Then we get a conversation going for a while and then She Screams " " The Number? What number are you trying to reach?? !! Sorry.

Was nice for the time though...Guess I was lonely at the time...

Odeo 2 years, 7 months ago

For the "down low" track phones definitely the best. Particularly to trade, if needed. Very hard to get a rundown on them. The nicest thing that I have found is that if I have a problem with one I do not need to call "customer-no-service." I just sell the thing and get another one. I have been having a bad feeling about that lately as, somehow, it could be used for an I.E.D. and hurt/kill someone. P***YS do that stuff. Not a good thing.

HollisBrown 2 years, 7 months ago

See? My_Life even agrees with me. I think we might have a lot in common, except for the Jerry Falwell stuff.. I also use my TracFone to avoid hooker scams on Craigslist.

My_Life 2 years, 7 months ago

TracFone totally rocks. Dirt cheap and it works. Need more minutes? Go to WalMart and pay cash for a card. Mine has doulble minutes for life. Great for Craigslist when you are dealing with morons and scammers.

riverdrifter 2 years, 7 months ago

I have Sprint and I give them an A. In 3+ years I think I've had as many dropped calls. I was in far western Kansas last winter on a pheasant hunt and without thinking whipped out my phone and called a ladyfriend in KC. The residents were amazed that my phone worked out there. I have absolutley no problems with Sprint. Yep, there are gaps in coverage but every provider has those.

HollisBrown 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm telling you, Burners are the way to go. Deal, drop and run. I make fat stacks of Benji's and I'm not about to blow any of it on a phone plan. That's just idiotic.

HollisBrown 2 years, 7 months ago

Yeah I'm wearing shoes, but no shirt. Never. Those uptight pimps at my job sent me home today for violating the dress code. I told the dude, "Violated? Want me to show you violated?". Then some rent-a-cop escorted me out. Pimp daddy was actually laughing and said I can come back tomorrow but I have to at least wear a wifebeater, which is the closest I ever come to wearing a shirt. I'll think about it.

pure_republication 2 years, 7 months ago

AT&T and I would rate them with a C-. They charge an arm and leg when you travel internationally! You must remeber to turn off the data! got my cute arse several times when I received my $500+ bill for the month!

helloannie 2 years, 7 months ago

Had Verizon and would give them an F which is why my cute ass got away from them as soon as my contract was up. Hate paying an arm and a leg for crappy customer service and not enough minutes. Now I have the Wal Mart Family Mobile plan with T Mobile. Pay a lot less for unlimited minutes and text and some free data thrown in as well. And am paying half of what I paid with Verizon and am getting way more.

kswx29 2 years, 7 months ago

I have sprint and I'd give them a B+. I almost always have signal, although sometimes it takes about 5 seconds for my call to connect and start ringing...but I still get thru. I've only have one dropped call in the 5 years I've had them. Plus like someone said above, their a Kansas company! :D

ChrstmasCarole 2 years, 7 months ago

TMobile - D

spotty service abroad. Confusing messages. We had insurance and I had to buy a phone anyway. They lost track of my other users and they were supposed to send a replacement phone and haven't but contacted us wondering why we haven't sent them the bad phone yet.

Uggh.... it would be an F but.....

meggers 2 years, 7 months ago

I wonder if Brie understands that smart phones are mini computers and without a data plan, they won't function as designed.

I'll agree that Verizon is overpriced, though. On top of the data plan, they charge for everything...minutes, text, virtual voice mail, ringback tones, tethering. Some providers include a lot of that as one package and don't nickel and dime you for every little thing. And they have unlimited data plans, which Verizon recently did away with.

g_rock 2 years, 7 months ago

Actually, I think my somewhatboyfriend needs a new phone. His must be broken...

ihatelv 2 years, 7 months ago

T-Mobile for 12 years. A+. Will be a sad day when the AT&T acquisition is approved.............

lunacydetector 2 years, 7 months ago

i've t-mobile. promised 4G...it's never happened. download speed 74 kbps. scammers

to check your download speed to see if you're getting ripped off go to: http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/?tag=cnetfd.bw

the attorney generals should be investigating all the false promises and the $250 charge to quit contract.

kernal 2 years, 7 months ago

I've yet to lose a signal with Verizon, even in the mountains. AT&T on the other hand, I was lucky to get a signal in the hospital parking lot after having to walk the perimeter. As for Sprint, I will probably never do business with them after they moved so many Kansas employees jobs to India.

Lane Signal 2 years, 7 months ago

Verizon, I give them a C+. In my experience the coverage is good. I've had Verizon for many years and have had almost no dropped calls (maybe 3 or 4 in 8 years). Data coverage is pretty good. I like the phone selection. I have a few complains though. I can almost never get a straight answer from their customer service reps. Almost every time I call I get a different answer. I can't tell if they the reps are trying to be deceitful and misleading or if they are all just completely incompetent and badly trained. Also, reps will tell me something is taken care of and then I find it is not done. There seems to be a culture of poor service and I see no indication that Verizon acknowledges the problem or has any plans to fix it. My advice is to get everything in writing. Don't depend on the word of a rep for info on rates or your account or anything else. I'm also not very happy about their contracts being extended, their early termination fees skyrocketing and their data rates going up. I'd switch if I thought I could get better service and similar network performance, but it's not clear to me that I can.

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 7 months ago

ATT, rate them low, travel a lot and lose there signal most places I go

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 7 months ago

I've used Sprint for 10 years and I'll give them an A. Pretty good coverage, price is right, good phone selection and customer service. And they're headquartered in Kansas.

wmathews 2 years, 7 months ago

AT&T and I'll give it a B+. I don't really want to talk to people as much as I want to play Fruit Ninja and check Twitter, so if I can do that, I'm happy.

ForThePeople 2 years, 7 months ago

Yikes, I was planning to switch to Sprint when my contract with Verizon ends in October, but all the negative comments here are a bit worrisome. With Sprint I would be able to do employee pricing through a friend and get four phones free with loads of minutes, internet, and GPS for the same price as I am now paying for three Verizon phones with only talk and text. I was aware that Sprint doesn't have the best coverage, but didn't know that their system has so many problems with going down. While overall I have been satisfied with Verizon, they are way overpriced in a market with so many choices, and their customer service is definitely lacking. That said, the main reason I've stuck with them the last ten years is that their coverage cannot be beat!

prospector 2 years, 7 months ago

Lighter knot and.Ludwig's

Old, old school

g_rock 2 years, 7 months ago

Are there really any cell phone companies with good customer service? They always charge more than I would like them to. Billing issues are never resolved in my favor. When service is down, there is nothing they can do. Worst experience ever was when I had a T-Mobile Sidekick when their entire system melted down. They had zero interest in actually keeping customers and just wanted to sell them different phones. I actually kind of miss the old school cell phones when you didn't expect them to do anything other than be a phone.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 7 months ago

autie, Huffing is bad. All the cool kids use Break-Free®

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 7 months ago

" I have an issue with throwing them and they break" Babboy

I so want to go golfing with you.

Outside of talking to my mother and wife, I doubt I use my cell phone 10 times a month for calling or texting. And those 10 times are Autie calling me up bitching about Brownback. I use Verizon. $5.99 cell phone. I guess it works fine.

kernal 2 years, 7 months ago

Verizon. Started out with AT&T but when I needed it most, the coverage was non-existant. I hate AT&T almost as much as I hate Hitler. I would much rather have the same type of cell plans as Europe. Our elected officials could do something about that if they weren't so heavily subsidized by AT&T.

Phone_Man 2 years, 7 months ago

Sprint Sucks! I give them an F

autie 2 years, 7 months ago

Have you got your stuff out yet for dove season? wipe down that old trusty double, smell the Hoppes, check the pockets in the hunting vest to make sure you didn't miss a bird last year. Yes sir. It is time. The guns of autumn are nigh upon us.

BABBOY 2 years, 7 months ago

I go through cell phones pretty crazy. I have an issue with throwing them and they break. I have used most of them.. I would say ATT is the absoule worse because they are a bunch of no good crooks in that they lied to me about what their service provided.. I do not use them now and never will again. All the others are pretty much the same. Verizon is who I have used the most and appear the easiest to deal with but none of them are perfect.

HollisBrown 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't know. I have 6 or 7 Trac phones. I throw the one I'm using away every so often to keep the cops off my back.

autie 2 years, 7 months ago

I found a white cheddar that I've been enjoying. It bit sharp. It is a nice compliment for the salami. Throw in some grapes or apples and it is lunch.

Gandalf 2 years, 7 months ago

MagicJack 19.95/year. Does my laptop count? If so b+ works anywhere where their is a public connection to the internet.

Andini 2 years, 7 months ago

None. I have a surplus of quarters and a map to every remaining pay phone around.

Steve Jacob 2 years, 7 months ago

Did you know we Americans are the only ones that are stupid enough to have yearly contracts? The rest of the world use prepaid phones and plans.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

I got one of those emails that said to put all my own answers to the twenty questions then forward it to 10 of my best friends in 24 hours to get a pleasant surprise. Now I'm getting 50 or more junk mailings every day instead of my usual four. At least with junk snail mail I could just drop it in the yard as I walked back to the house. The wind would make it the neighbors problem.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

I used to try to communicate with prayer. Then I was told everything that ever was and everything that ever will be has already been decided. Talk about confusing . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm still on the party line, either smoke signals or drums beating in the distance. Morse code can be confusing. I still get SOS confused with OSO. That has made for some confusing emergency calls.

Odeo 2 years, 7 months ago

Southwestern Bell. They have the best lease options for a land line phone. Mine costs about $189 a month, without their insurance, and I only use it if my cell phone gets put out of commission. A SAFE investment.....

Odeo 2 years, 7 months ago

Not sure why I am even posting this other than feeling a bit sorry for fatty and all the newbies attending their first semester at KU. And, of course, my loyalty to Buttrock. BUTTROCK ON!!

Odeo 2 years, 7 months ago

Was to be attached:

part 2.

And now he wears a shirt with name tag, Jeffery, with his other shirt identifying his position? Sales Management Department? Not sure, but I do not think he rocked and rolled to success....Hard times we are living in but I don't think this guy has many followers.

Odeo 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes! A leader in Customer Service. Hmm...Maybe not. Kind of tripped me on his last statement though..to success?? That Dog Don't Hunt With Me....

I wish I knew a profit that could help in this quagmire....Any Suggestions? Anyone??

Gandalf 2 years, 7 months ago

3rd None! Don't have a cell phone.

Odeo 2 years, 7 months ago

Not a fan of Sprint. Sure do miss my original 'Motorola Brick." Wish I had the same today. Would have to but a knew belt to wear it on my side. STYLING, Though.

Roland Gunslinger 2 years, 7 months ago