Previous   Next

Why do you think people get involved in sports?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on August 15, 2011

Browse the archives

“Just for the exercise and to stay active.”

“In high school you weren’t cool unless you did sports.”

riverdrifter 4 years, 1 month ago

Bill Lee 4 years, 1 month ago

I think that pretty much nails it for me. Most of us enjoy a challenge, too.

labmonkey 4 years, 1 month ago

The Emporia Gazette is actually much like the LJworld in political leanings.... just without the proofreading. The Topeka Capitol Journal is the conservative newspaper.

pure_republication 4 years, 1 month ago

The goal is to teach children the love of the game!

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

I guess I got involved so coach would have someone to keep the bench warm . . .

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

And because my father wanted me to . . .

david_ 4 years, 1 month ago

Hey ljworld why do you keep allowing people to make fun of and humiliate others on here? I doubt anyone would ever answer your OTS questions if they were told you were going to let others humiliate them in public.

somedude20 4 years, 1 month ago

I get into sports not for the girls, glory or money but rather for all of the free peanut butter and fish tacos that I can eat. My fav sport is playing with myself for the entire family!!!!

somedude20 4 years, 1 month ago

I know, I hate fish (smells like girls, yucky)!!!!!!

1029 4 years, 1 month ago

When I was six years old, my Dad told me that he would break both of my thumbs if I didn't play baseball, so I played baseball.

And then I played basketball one year because the games were on Saturday mornings and it allowed me to skip CCD.

pace 4 years, 1 month ago

I think parents want their kids to play tough, to play hard, to permanently injure parts of their body before they are fully grown. Most of the kids who played sports in school weren't cool, but they were injured. The cool kids read books.

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

All this talk of sports puts me in the mood for a few rounds . . . of golf . . . sandbar style.

Kontum1972 4 years, 1 month ago

the thought of re-occuring jock itch and the smell of dirty towels...and tennis shoes...testosterone envy....more....! oh yeah...flipping towels...!

jaywalker 4 years, 1 month ago

vertigo: "Competition, teamwork, camaraderie... ultimately sports are games- and games are fun!"

Richard Heckler 4 years, 1 month ago

Can we say peer group pressure from home,desire to be the most popular, peer group pressure from Jock heaven and being insecure with oneself?

If the large spot lights and attention were turned on the male and female A students that choose 1. low impact exercise such as bicycling 2. builds excellent woodworking projects 3. demands healthy diets in school 4. loves taking long walks to chill out a bit 5. pays attention to politics thus their money 6. sex education 7. Arts: music/dance/performance/drawing/painting/clay/ etc etc

Yet sees no future in: 1. broken bones 2. concussions 3. worn out knees and ankles

Maybe just maybe our children might have the strength to be themselves and kick peer group pressure out of their lives.

parrothead8 4 years, 1 month ago

I played soccer because I thought it was fun. My parents asked me after each of my first four seasons if I wanted to stop playing. Finally, after my fifth season, I asked them to stop asking me, and said that if I ever wanted to quit, I'd tell them.

Based on the answers I see from the respondents, it seems like people don't play sports for the fun of it anymore. That's a pity.