Previous   Next

Do you follow the stock market? Why or why not?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on August 13, 2011

Browse the archives

“I pretty much don’t. I don’t have the extra money to put into it.”

“I got stock but I don’t care to look. I don’t want to see how much money I’m losing.”

“No, not really but I should. I do look at the numbers.”

“I don’t really follow the stock market, but I follow my stock at work.”

Comments

jackpot 3 years, 4 months ago

No money to put into it why follow it?

Liberty275 3 years, 4 months ago

I get the indexes at the end of the day on NPR. I wouldn't bother looking them up. Our money is in for the long haul (the next 20 years) so the lower the numbers are today, the better.

Bill Lee 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm too far removed from it to pay much attention. If there are big swings, someone always tells us on the news.

Dan Blomgren 3 years, 4 months ago

Yes, I do. I follow it religiously. My future depends on it. And if you think giving your money to a professional planner is the same as watching it you're way wrong. Like everything else take responsibility yourself. Don't rely on others. They will only let you down.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 4 months ago

I never really did but hearing my grandma's worries about her stock have got me to start paying a little more attention. I know I have no experience with stock and can't help her but I keep thinking maybe I'll see something or hear something to help her out. I know the stock market really has her worried. My grandma never worries about anything or at least she never voices her worries when it comes to herself. So for her to mention that she's worried only puts a huge helpless pit in my stomach. I only hope the stock market turns around for her sake.

riverdrifter 3 years, 4 months ago

I spend about 15 to 30 minutes a day studying the Dow, S&P, EAFE market indexes and some others. Things were doing pretty good until the wormy teabaggin' bull charged into the china shop and crapped on everything it didn't break. WTF.

50YearResident 3 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, I follow the stock market. When Clinton was in office I had about $60 thousand in my 401K mutual funds. It grew to a little over 100K until Bush took over. He screwed the econony up and the 4o1K turned into $50K again. It never recovered. Now Obama is in office the $50K is worth about $45K. Do you see a problem here? At the rate the market is going now my 401K will be worthless in about 6 years. The market is being manulated by computer buying and selling by unknown parties that can steal billions out of the market daily. Yeah, I watch the market, just to see how long it will be before I am broke again.