Previous   Next

What advice would you give kids trying to lead a healthier lifestyle?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 9, 2011

Browse the archives

“I have seen the American habits. They eat kind of unhealthy and in really big portions. They should try to learn to make their own food and be careful about what they put in their stomach.”

“Don’t spend too much time on electronics. Don’t let the Internet ruin things for you. It’s OK sparingly but … be outside and experience things from a young age.”

“Learn how to love things that are outside. There’s something to be said for going to the gym and working out but if you create habits when you’re little, (getting involved) in a sport or … activity then it’s going to be easier for you to continue that when you’re older.”

“For kids to just play outside more. For parents to create more of a community within neighborhoods so kids are playing with each other outside and running around rather than inside playing video games and watching TV.”

Comments

Pitt_Mackeson 4 years ago

Raffaele - I am American. And it's true, I don't really notice what I put in my stomach. Heck, just yesterday I was so wasted I was trying to shove some old shoe down my throat. My pals stopped me. The point is, ........ well I guess there is no point. You Italians should try an old shoe once in awhile. And one of them slabs of Grandaddys bbq nom nom uh good.

Reta Cosby 4 years ago

A few good examples already in response. Work on your Spirit. It's not what's on the outside, but what's on the inside that counts. Man looks on the outward appearance, God looks at our rotten souls. Would you invite Him into your heart today?

Pitt_Mackeson 4 years ago

yes, yes I would. Im rotten to the core baby!

Pitt_Mackeson 4 years ago

Three fourths of the jury is female! And an Italian! I demand a new jury! AHHGHHHHHGHG RIBS ARE GOOD YOU PASTA LOVING MONKEYS!

pace 4 years ago

Learn to cook from scratch, learn to cook vegetables well,

Sheryl Wiggins 4 years ago

and we have a John Prine reference.

monkeyhawk 4 years ago

Let's teach them at a young age how to stick their noses in the business of everyone else while we pig down on fries, burgers and ribs (i.e. BO and the wife). How about a super size serving of chocolate covered hypocrisy?

Sheryl Wiggins 4 years ago

verbing weirds language. However "I merrilled that from Wikipedia" made me dork laugh

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

Biscuits and gravy count as vegetables in the new food pyramid.

Sheryl Wiggins 4 years ago

dork laugh all ya'll are funny today

boxers_or_briefs 4 years ago

There's AA meetings for people like you. Seek them out now.

crittersister 4 years ago

Don't eat meat. It rots in your colon and is filled with antibiotics and chemicals from Monsanto.

boxers_or_briefs 4 years ago

Steer clear of HollisBrown and people of his irk.

boxers_or_briefs 4 years ago

My apologies. I didn't even notice.

somedude20 4 years ago

Watchout for number 1 and don't step in number 2!! Do not tug on Superman's cape Don't eat after midnight and don't get yourself wet Never trust a person who says "trust me," trust me! If you were married on Memorial Day remember that it is a revolving holiday and switches days every year (so if it was on 5/25 last year do not expect it to be on the 25th again the next year otherwise you will get burned) and wear your sunscreen!!!!

beatrice 4 years ago

Get outside and play! Physical activity is key. Also, don't buy the giant sodas. Just because the 44oz soda is cheap doesn't mean you need that much sugar water. Ever.

beatrice 4 years ago

The question is what advice would we give. I stick to that, but love how being healthy has become politicized.

If you wouldn't give children advice on how to live healthier, then that is on you.

whats_going_on 4 years ago

I'd bet good money that you aren't the LEAST bit healthy.

H_Lecter 4 years ago

Blueberries, cardio sports, water

Don't do anything out of anger...do it because you enjoy it....everything is more fun when you're smiling...everything

Deja Coffin 4 years ago

Eating as healthy as we can is something our family struggles with a lot. I'm constantly wondering if the food choices I make for my kids are going to benefit them or hinder them in the long run. I don't want to deny them certain bad foods completely because that was how I was raised when it came to soda and then when I became an adult I overly indulged in drinking Dr. Pepper and Pepsi. To the point that I can guarantee I turned my freshman 15 into a 20. Then again when we do have the occasional junk food in the house it seems like that's all the kids want for snack. I try not to worry to much about it because my kids are not overweight but I just hope I'm teaching them that while it's okay to eat junk food every once in awhile our focus needs to be on eating healthy. Part of why I started gardening is in an effort to encourage my kids to grow their own food and look forward to eating fresh foods. I know it's silly but it does make me feel good to see my kids picking peas or tomatoes right out of the garden and eating them.

Deja Coffin 4 years ago

I guess that would have been a lot easier to say then the previous rambling post. Unless this is a 420 reference......... and then, well nevermind.

riverdrifter 4 years ago

"If I'd known I was gonna live this long, I would've taken better care of myself."

-Mickey Mantle

whats_going_on 4 years ago

Be involved...if you have more things to do (whether that be sports, clubs, art, or just playing outside with friends), the less you'll need to be inside on the TV or computer, the healthier you'll be, and you'll just have a rounder, happier, and healthier lifestyle, emotionally and physically.

jonas_opines 4 years ago

Learn to catch your own food without using tools. Chasing that deer down or wrestling a whole cow to the ground will burn as many calories as you put in my eating it.

Tackling rabbits is a fun and challenging activity for young children.

Bob Forer 4 years ago

Stay clear of organized religion.

Kirk Larson 4 years ago

Drink lots of water. Eat more plants. Ride your bike. Don't get too stressed out.