Previous   Next

What is your favorite form of art?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 8, 2011

Browse the archives

“Vocal. Choral vocals.”

“Graffiti. If someone does it right it’s one of the greatest forms of art I think.”

“I’d have to say photography.”

Comments

Deja Coffin 2 years, 8 months ago

My favorite form of art is writing. Growing up I always wanted to be a famous poet. Now I can hardly find the time to write in my kid's baby journals. I miss having that time to just sit with pen and paper and get carried away by a thought. It is like a form of meditation to me.

Also I'm not sure how artistic others will believe it to be but I use baking and cake decorating as my artistic medium. Even something so simple as a pie when done exactly how you want it to be can be one of the most beautiful things ever. I'm also learning there is truly a beauty to canning veggies. Anyone else see the artistic values in these things or do I just need to get out more? I'm sure the latter is true!

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

I spelled Bork wrong. I meant Robert Bork. I have this nagging feeling that Autie has a railroad spike fetish.

bobberboy 2 years, 8 months ago

Imagine a little turdbird with Brownbacks head on it. HeHe.

bobberboy 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm kinda partial to the Kansas Turdbirds. I'd like to see Brownback set for one.

Pywacket 2 years, 8 months ago

David.

I'd say he's quite a form of art.

g_rock 2 years, 8 months ago

And I'm torn between Art Linkletter and Art Vandelay....

beatrice 2 years, 8 months ago

Did you know that Cassius Coolidge's paintings of dogs playing poker, painted in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, have sold for as much as $600,000 at auction? http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/6976660/ns/today-entertainment/t/dogs-playing-poker-paintings-fetch/

And people thought me crazy for mortgaging the house for my cats playing parcheesi paintings.

CWGOKU 2 years, 8 months ago

We gots some of them there pink flamingos and garden gnome fellers in the yard. That's good art there.

Multidisciplinary 2 years, 8 months ago

autie, I didn't get a call from you about a kitten yesterday. Not sure if that's good or bad.

autie 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm going down to the Merc and Alvin's to hang out in the parking lot. If anybody cares..stop by and give me some cigarettes please. I'll be the big dude out there with a railroad spike hanging around my neck on a chain. It is an artistic statement.

Multidisciplinary 2 years, 8 months ago

Great cemetery statues and headstones. Cinema and music are so tied together, it would be hard pressed to list them separately.

autie 2 years, 8 months ago

Lady Gaga is to music ...as the Big Mac is to healthy eating.....

Lady Gaga is to music ...as the Royals are to baseball....

Lady Gaga is to music ...wait a minute..that is not music at all. Foul! Foul!

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

Okay, it's bugging me, so I'll say the very roots of American Popular Music are: - The slaves and their worksongs. - English traditionals - Buttrock - Bjork - Frank Sinatra - Lady Gaga

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

Definitely music. It's all good. I'm into everything except classical, not that it isn't great. But if I had to name the two most influential, definitive forces in American Popular music, if I had to, I would say Miles Davis and Bob Dylan. Of course, they had their influences, whohad their influences, but that would take me all damn day.

autie 2 years, 8 months ago

We got our own ammunition, it's filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes... pretty pictures.

I need me one of them.

trinity 2 years, 8 months ago

psychadelic institutes of higher learning? or psychadelic collAges?

CWGOKU 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm with BABBOY and consumer, music and the female body. And they go well together.

bolshavik_vw 2 years, 8 months ago

I am an artist, so picking just one type of art can be tough. Although I am fascinated with Graffiti. If it is done correctly with several colors,and detail. I have to say my second choice is Photography, especially Black and White or Sepia. I do a lot of Psychadelic Art, and Colleges, so anything out of the ordinary and totally off the wall would my third choice.

pace 2 years, 8 months ago

I like a well painted cat.

somedude20 2 years, 8 months ago

Heck the ability to sculpt Trump's hair is an impressive form of art as is the amount of face paint and bondo it takes Bachmann to "put her face on" but I think the best form of art is rollin the perfect joint. Not too much slobber and not to tight or loose, not too thin and to not have a runner. Shout joint art!

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 8 months ago

"Zoo-doo art." Prospector

Doo doo? Four girls fingerpaint fan?

g_rock 2 years, 8 months ago

Anything retro, Eames, mid-century modern......

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't know if this counts, but my wife loves it when I scream when I hit the big O. She says I sound just like Pavarotti.

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

I bet Scott likes Trucker Art, too. I also love the shotgun art of William Burroughs, or anything by William Burrroughs. That twisted idiot used to put a can of spray paint in front of a piece of plywood, stand back about 12 feet, and blast it with a shotgun. Yeah, now that's art. William Burroughs...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjqTlt...

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

I definitely go for strippers and the black velvet stuff. A friend of mine had this black velvet of Elvis, during his fat period, looking up toward the sky with a tear running down his cheek. Surreal man. I mean, Dali is definitely my favorite Surrealist, but Elvis even blows Dali away. I also really dig anything with a clown or unicorn theme.

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

Autie, I could have told you Spacehog was real. I ran into him in the bathroom at DQ yesterday. He blocked the door and wouldn't let me out for 2 hrs. Didn't say anything, just kept giggling and screaming. I was supposed to help a friend move some stuff, but the Spacehog Experience was well worth it.

tange 2 years, 8 months ago

Dreams are art. Right now, I'm dreaming of a velvet Brownback, you know, something that just reeks of class.

autie 2 years, 8 months ago

It wasn't a dream..no. Spacehog is friggin real man. I waited outside the Merc for like a day and finally...I think it was him, I flippin saw the real spacehog. Unless it was a dream.

That is like art; dreams are art. Right?

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 8 months ago

I like music of all types. I'm very eclectic where that's concerned. I love Aeolian wind harps. The harps themselves are works of art and the music they create is breath taking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qESQa8...

Gandalf 2 years, 8 months ago

Ccooking. My mother raised it to high art. Damn microwaves! :(

homechanger 2 years, 8 months ago

My favorite art is state funded art. Without state funding art cannot exist. Right?

Bill Lee 2 years, 8 months ago

Music is my favorite. Throughout my life rock and roll has sustained me.

TopJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Gotta agree with Megan.

I used to do a lot of singing in our Colleges' Choral. Gives me goosebumps thinking about it. Especially things like Randall Thompsons' Hallelujah. And stuff like that.

TopJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Anything to do with black velvet. Elvis, the Duke, it just don't get better than that.

Also really like the Dogs playing poker.

gvnobas 2 years, 8 months ago

Stuff that doesn't require government funding. Oh by the way - your beloved NPR will be shut down soon !!!

milkman_dan 2 years, 8 months ago

The best art comes from deep inside the gut. I've always been a bit of an artist myself. Just this afternoon, I created a very large sculpture that resembled the design on the Gadsden Flag.

beatrice 2 years, 8 months ago

American scene paintings of the 1930s.

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 8 months ago

My favorite art is art that I "get." I just don't "get" some art. I never could figure out how the stack of toilets at the Library was art. ("Endless Toilets," a 160-pound ceramic work that shows toilets stacked bowl to bowl, by Jason Lumetta, Kansas City, Mo.) Maybe, Jason doesn't "get" it any longer; he does not feature "Endless Toilets" in his portfolio: http://jasonlumetta.com/main/?page_id=2219

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 8 months ago

Not sure if this qualifies, but I like the musical fountains. http://youtu.be/FzzJXWODyHw

riverdrifter 2 years, 8 months ago

Oh, form. Sorry. Eh, bronze & dirt.

And other. Nevermind. I like Iowa art. Right.

riverdrifter 2 years, 8 months ago

DIST, you meanie!

Uhm, to answer, I like my local friends Jim Brothers and Stan Herd.
Stan is a cheapskate though. Next Freestater is definitely on him. Sometime. Maybe.