Previous   Next

What do you think is the most recognizable brand?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 5, 2011

Browse the archives

“Probably McDonald’s. ”

“Coca-Cola.”

“Nike.”

“McDonald’s.”

Comments

devobrun 2 years, 8 months ago

It hits you all day long, in every place you live: Shopping, Advertising, Science, Legal issues, News and Media. It is used as an excuse, a motivation, a hedge. It justifies and it categorizes. Inflamess and guiltifies, it is the only thing left for science and engineering to work on.

It is GREEN. Green guilt. Green energy. Green engineering. Green, green, green. It is the basis of everything designed, built, manufactured, and promoted today. The ubiquitous brand of green is on dish washing soap, motor oil, paper, everything.

You think that marketing of cars and fast food is everywhere? Not even close to Green.

tange 2 years, 8 months ago

Let me just leave all you buttrockers with some advice from the last of the full-grown men...

tange 2 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, Charles really came into his own, after he left the Pixies. Oh so macho mojo. Must've been al those kicks to the taco.

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

Seriously, my very favorite brand is the Ω branded on my left shoulder. Oh yeah, I was a frat boy all right. The first and only white Omega in history. Yope!

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

This is definitely Buttrock. My dog started barking while I played it, always a good sign. Especially when Frank starts screaming like a damn woman. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXvvSa...

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

Damn, I gotta get into that Placebo! And Frank Black always wants me want to break a pile of butt plates over my head. I'm saving that one.

tange 2 years, 8 months ago

I think I first heard the placebo version on butt pirate radio.

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

I love it, Tange! I always liked the Kate Bush version, and I've heard the new one but I had to look it up. Placebo? Better than buttrock.

tange 2 years, 8 months ago

My favorite song of all time, buttrocked...

autie 2 years, 8 months ago

HollisBrown(anonymous) says…

Autie? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEoG5r...

Hollis, that is some rockin s**t!! dude, now I want that on my Ipod so I can strut to it on the working out machine at the gym. It is just too bad that Skydog couldn't drive a motorcycle better than he played that guitar.....that boy could play.

sulliedotcom 2 years, 8 months ago

It must have been "Wear Ridiculous Glasses Day."

prospector 2 years, 8 months ago

"...because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

They got best chef at the fair last night too.

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

He liked the question, but then he got really bitter again.

CWGOKU 2 years, 8 months ago

BABBOY liked the question... The world as I know it just stopped. OTS folks, go have a party.

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

Absolutely, Lab! Foreign Buttrock. But still Buttrock.

labmonkey 2 years, 8 months ago

This song applies to the OTS and quite possible to Hollis's Buttrock theme.

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

I think for the next few days it will be Westar. In fact, I might not pay my bill anymore. Go ahead and cut me off. I have plenty of lighters.

demonfury 2 years, 8 months ago

The most recognizable brand(s) world-wide would likely be Coca-Cola as a product, or the American Flag and/or the Christian Cross as a branded symbol. But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong.

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

18- The number of consecutive times Springsteen chants "Hidin' on the Backstreets" at the end of "Backstreets".

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

I LOVE ABBA. Chance-Chance-Chance-Take-A-Chance-Chance-Take-A-Chance-Chance-Take-A-Chance-Chance-Take-A-Chance-Chance.

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm with you on RATM, Babboy. There are very few guitarists as good as Tom Morello. When he started playing he used to practice 8-10hrs/day. His playing is very organic, with very few if any effects pedals or toys. However, you really should research Karen and Richard Carpenter too.

BABBOY 2 years, 8 months ago

Good question.

I hate to say it, but Wallmart is probably the biggest name here in Red Neck hell......

McDonalds is big but makes feel greasy inside (literally)

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

I think Merrill was actually making a stale joke, but I'm not. I became a fan of heavy metal while in high school at Pojoaque. The CD which hooked me in was Sepultura's 'Chaos AD.' I never really got into anything more thrashy than that. Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and such never found a place in my heart. Shortly after I first heard Sepultura, I went on a trip with my family, where I met up with one of my cousins. Said cousin was a fan of Nine Inch Nails, so I thought he might have some interest in the tape I had made. Not so. In as non-insulting a manner as he could muster, he told me that I was listening to Butt-Rock. I didn't know exactly what Butt-Rock was, but I was quite sure that Sepultura wasn't an instance of it. Recently, the topic came up again, so I spent a little time trying to find a way to define Butt-Rock so that I could wield it as an insult without worrying (or perhaps knowing when to worry) about having it turned back on me. One caveat: this definition is based mostly on me scratching my head, not looking around at how the term is used. I'm sure that I'm not entirely off the mark, but I doubt everyone will buy into what I have to say. Condition 1: music must be testosterone-driven. Condition 2: music must be rockin'. Condition 3: music must take itself seriously (especially its own testosterone). By way of clarification and defense, here are some examples of bands that I take to meet or not meet these conditions: Hair metal. Hole in one. I think that some people take Hair Metal and Butt-Rock to be the same thing, but I feel that Butt-Rock is a broader notion. For example, I don't think Pantera entirely left their Butt-Rockness behind from 'Cowboys' onward (something I say with much respect for an exceptional set of musicians - RIP Dimebag). Country-western. Especially truck-inspired. 1 and 3, but not 2. Much of this music reminds me of things like butts, but there is no Butt-Rock without the rock. So is any of the music I like Butt-Rock, by these conditions? I think bits of it are. Every now and then old White Zombie hits the spot, and though there is tongue-in-cheek-ness there, it's not enough to outweigh the testosterone. The songs about macho cars settle it.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 8 months ago

rockchalker, what you are thinking of starts with "s"

rockchalker52 2 years, 8 months ago

I was thinkin' about what R_I said & noddin' my head in agreement - beer, bongs, babes, boobs, basketball - and then I thought of brownback...

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm even gonna take a break from Uncle Bob for awhile and totally devote my time to bringing back Buttrock! http://citythatbreeds.com/2011/02/top-4-buttrock-songs-of-all-time-because-5-is-one-too-many/

CWGOKU 2 years, 8 months ago

McDonalds

Personally, I can't stand their food, never eat there. For me it is Budweiser. Been known to follow one of their trucks for miles down the highway, hoping it breaksdown.

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

I hereby declare war on all this cerebral, hip, humanitarian crappy music. Hey Bono, shut up about Apartheid and just blast some Buttrock, dude! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq7DOC...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 8 months ago

Why do all the good things in the world start with the letter "b"?

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

No, CW. Happy Buttrock Revival Day! Today is the start of Kanrocksas. It would have been so much cooler if they just called it Buttrocksas. I think the poor treaders might get rained on. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=buttrock

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 8 months ago

"Happy international Beer day!" CW

And a good day to you, sir!

rockchalker52 2 years, 8 months ago

Mickey Mouse (I'm talkin' Disney, not congress)

CWGOKU 2 years, 8 months ago

Happy international Beer day!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 8 months ago

Did you know it is illegal to use cruise control and windshield wipers at the same time in Kansas?

LadyJ 2 years, 8 months ago

How about if we add sauerkraut to the ketchup and mustard? Maybe diversity is the key.

rockchalker52 2 years, 8 months ago

My friend, Gus, asked me to send him a link the other day. I told him I'd 'merrill' it right over. Then, I forgot. Sorry, Gus.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 8 months ago

"Can't ketchup and mustard coexist peacefully on a hot dog? Tolerance. :)" Lady J

Heathen.

"I think merrill just made a joke, but I'm not sure." Lady J

He didn't cut and past that answer so I have no clue what he was aiming at.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 8 months ago

America is the greatest country conceived by man and allowed by God.

tweetysvoice 2 years, 8 months ago

Qtips & Kleenax. Everyone calls them that, I doubt a lot of people don't even know that they are name brands and assume that's the actual product (cotton swabs and tissue)

TopJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Ruger.

IF someone points a Ruger at you, you will recognize it immediatly

RoeDapple 2 years, 8 months ago

Rocking J. Branding is a very cruel way to mark livestock. De-horning is done without anesthesia and sometimes leaves a hole in the skull exposing the brain.

But what the hell, I still enjoy a medium rare steak or big juicy hamburger cooked on the grill.

with ketchup . . .

labmonkey 2 years, 8 months ago

Coca-Cola, Chevrolet, and America. U.S.A, U.S.A, U.S.A!!!!

Gandalf 2 years, 8 months ago

The pentagram on brownback's butt!

worthlessljworldposter 2 years, 8 months ago

Olympics. Doesn't Leno do this bit? I miss the show Street Smarts.

Bill Lee 2 years, 8 months ago

Coke. There are people who order a Pepsi and refer to it as a coke. The name has become generic for soft drink.

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

The only one I recognize is Wild Turkey 101.

HollisBrown 2 years, 8 months ago

Either Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian.