Previous   Next

Mother’s Day is May 8. What will you get your mom?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 27, 2011

Browse the archives

“Flowers.”

“I’m getting a breast cancer tattoo on my wrist for her because she had breast cancer and survived. I’m also getting her kitchen supplies.”

“A perfume gift set.”

“Victoria’s Secret perfume and a gift card.”

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

"Lots"?

Well my mom only needed one lot next to my dad's. They've both been there long enough I don't think Mother's Day or Father's Day will mean much to them anymore.Funny. (or not) One passed the day before Father's Day then a few years later the other died the day after Father's Day

RIP Mom and Dad

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 1 month ago

My mommy and daddy are gone too, Roe. I really wish i could just give my mama one more kiss. But somehow I think she knows how much we all loved her and miss her. I bet your mama knows too.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

The S.O. doesn't like it when I tell her she's not my mother so Mother's Day just kinda slips my mind. She's been purty good with the sammiches and fluffin' my pillow and all during my brief convalescence here lately. Maybe I can git one of the younguns to pick her up a new skillet or a pack of vacuum cleaner bags and a card from the quick shop for me. I'll have them sign it for me too so as I don't over exert myself and need more medical attention. I just know she'll be thrilled.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Candice you are all right in my book! Victoria's Secret gift to mom! I ordered a Terrycloth robe from them for the Wifey many years ago and lo and behold! They sent me VS catalogs for 'bout the next five years! I don't think Victoria has too many secrets anymore I don't know about! How come she ain't got no bellybutton?

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

(Jeez, I thought these meds were supposed to help get me to sleep. I'm as wired as if I had the welding cables in each hand and turned up to 400 amps)

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

(I bet Hollis will know what to do. Being the OTS medical adviser and all)

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Wait! maybe I took the wrong pills! (checking . . .) Nope, nothing there . . .

LadyJ 5 years, 1 month ago

Boy I need to go to bed earlier so I can get up in the middle of the night and join the fun. Fortunately the graveyard where my parents are lets you do just about anything. I already made a raised flower bed a couple of years ago, expanded it last Mother's day. This year I am making a little brick patio. The clematis is coming up and rose bush is getting all green. As for myself, hope my SO gets me some new tires or a tune up for the car.

LadyJ 5 years, 1 month ago

The best anniversary present I got was on our 25th when he got me the vacuum I had really been wanting.

LadyJ 5 years, 1 month ago

Next only to the new fangled garage door that opens with a touch of a button I got for Christmas one year.

duhhh2010 5 years, 1 month ago

Not only did you spell "tattoo" wrong, but I have three of them already, sooooo looks like there will be plenty more in my future. Also, what could be better than a permanent reminder of my mothers strength on my body? At least it's not a tacky heart with MOM in the middle. It's respectful and classy. I respect your opinion, but it's you and the rest of the world's close mindedness that creates hate.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Damn, my head hurts this morning. Did I miss something?

East to explain then. Finally went to sleep around 5:00

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

I got my wife a new microwave oven the year our first was born. About the size of a lunch box and over $500! Sure did make warmin' the baby's bottle a lot faster and easier when it was ole Roe's turn for the night feedings.She kinda blew up over it, but microwave ovens are sorta like pickup trucks. You don't know how bad you need it until after you've had it a while and it quits workin'. My first pickup is sittin' on blocks behind the bunker with three old microwaves, a Kelvinator ice box and uncounted blenders, 8-tracks and vacuum cleaners in the back. I just know "American Pickers" is gonna drive by and offer me a fortune for it all.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

"Mrs. Roed said you missed the toilet."

She been sayin' that for nigh on to 40 years now!

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Hollis I contacted that Gary Spivey dude and he told me I was gonna die . . . I paid him good internet bucks for THAT? Hell I could dish out a prediction like that to everybody and be 100% correct . . eventually! I'm gonna be around for a long, long time, I don't care what my new golfing partner thinks!

Kontum1972 5 years ago

and the city wonders why they have a budget short fall....they didnt when the festival was here in lawrence....Brett got fed up with their gestapo tactics....now arkansas gets all the perks...they love it being down there....

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

I had to produce my birth certificate when I started drawing S.S. Maybe Mr. Obama is figurin' on gettin' retired soon so he went ahead and turnt it loose.

(Yep folks, it's out there. Let's move on.)

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Special guest appearance by Whitney, and no deletions (yet)!! Gonna be a good day!

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Think I'll go med up (or down) and try to get some rest.

Later, tater!

somedude20 5 years, 1 month ago

Since my mother has been married to my father for a long long time I bet she would like a pocket rocket. Happy Moms day yo!

LadyJ 5 years, 1 month ago

Roe-do you do like my SO and call you wife on the cell phone if she doesn't hear you yell? If I left my phone in the car or bedroom where he is and I'm in the family room, he will call me on Skype if he wants a sandwich or drink. Once he called me in the kitchen when I was making him a sandwich to see what was taking me so long.

LadyJ 5 years, 1 month ago

Darn, I shouldn't have posted that and given all you husbands the idea. Hope I don't make any wives mad.

LadyJ 5 years, 1 month ago

LOL. The other day, just for the heck of it, I did a search for RoeDapple pictures. Besides lots of pictures of horses and daschunds and road apples, a picture of Roe's avatar with this birthday cake came up. But also a LJW picture of Scooter (the guy and his buddies arrested for drugs) came up. Are they secretly Roe's cuzins?

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Nah, I wuz just pi$$in all his cuzins an baby mommas an mommas babies off with my comments there. Seems to be my specialty. That's prolly whut brung it up.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

I think Mrs Roe been reading my comments lately an' mixin' my meds up in retaliation. I should be in LaLa land 'bout now but the wiring is startin' to smoke! Gonna be a long day . . .

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

What's a meth lab smell like? I gots a neighbor out this way who's up all hours (look who's talkin') and it smells like the old Dupont plant up Topeka way. Do I need to reinforce that side of my house in case of a blowout?

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh lordy LadyJ, you got me curious so I googled RoeDapple pictures too Here's a couple I came up with

Now the "Forked Escort" one I can kinda understand getting a minor association but how the bejeebus did I get that other mess hooked to me?

LadyJ 5 years, 1 month ago

Did you see the one of the river and the other one of guys with rifles?

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

No, but Sarah Palin sure shows up a lot. Seem a bit odd to you?

;-)

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

. . must . . resist . . urge . . to . .google . . . spousal unit set at x-low tolerance today. . .

O..M..G!!!

LadyJ 5 years, 1 month ago

That's nothing compared to the autie pics. Roe would be sleeping in the car if he looks at those.

LadyJ 5 years, 1 month ago

Only in hubby's dreams do I look like that.

RoeDapple 5 years, 1 month ago

I believe we have a winner! Want to place an order before I turn them in?

K_Verses_The_World 5 years, 1 month ago

I’m forty miles from the mill—I’m dropping it into overdrive Setting my dial on the radio I wish my mother was still alive

Deja Coffin 5 years, 1 month ago

My mother will be in Florida on vacation like every year but when she comes back I will be making her favorite Lemon cake with Raspberry Cream Frosting.

Maddy Griffin 5 years, 1 month ago

Has anyone thought to ask their Mom what she would like? My Mother is no longer with us, either. She always graciously accepted and fawned over whatever little trinket the 5 of us kids came up with. I'm sure she would much rather have had a day away from ALL of us. I love the trips to Olathe to gorge ourselves on whoever has a big buffet and all the wonderful things the kids and grandkids buy for me every year, but I would absolutely LOVE a day away. Sometimes the gift of quiet is the best gift of all.

Bill Lee 5 years, 1 month ago

Mom's gone, but my ex-wife, the mother of my children, isn't. She alwys hates whatever I give her, so I may not bother this year. I haven't decided.

gphawk89 5 years ago

Can't send flowers 'cause Mom manages the only floral shop in town. I'd be creating work for her.

KUnlv13 5 years ago

I sent my mom an assortment of about 20 or so different bottles of West Coast craft beer. IPA's, Sours, Imperial Stout...everything a gal could need to help kick her feet up after a long day of work. Not supposed to ship alcohol across state lines without the right permit, but meh.