Previous   Next

Do you ever cook with tofu?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa on April 21, 2011

Browse the archives

“Yes, I usually slice it into steaks and cook it in olive oil and soy sauce. I love it.”

“Once in a while I use tofu. I like plain tofu but it’s got to be cooked or it doesn’t have any flavor.”

“Yes, I made fruity curry tofu salad.”

“Yes, I cook it for my job.”

Related story

Comments

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years, 8 months ago

(holds up a forked tofu square) THIS is what FOOD eats!

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Damn. This time I'm the one who has to play nice. Hi Rita. Say hello to Mike, the kids and the grand babies for me.

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Okay, 'nough of that. Where I come from you gotta grind them soybeans up with corn, milo, molasses and who knows what else just to get the cattle to eat it. Guess it's kinda like popcorn though. Without salt and butter at the very least it's pretty blah.

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Bambi and her momma and daddy sure do like soybeans! I've had farmers tell me to hunt their place and just shoot 'em and leave 'em! I won't of course, but it's quite the indicator of what a problem these antlered vermin have become. Those grain fed deer sure are tasty though.

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

I bet fish would eat tofu! I might even stop by the merc and pick some up next time I go sand bar golfing and toss some crumbled tofu in the shallows to see how the fish react to it. Hell, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? Might even use some for a bobber on the bank lines and catch me a big old flat head.

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Dang Ronaldo! this could start a whole new investigation on what wiped out the dinosaurs!

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

"3 Vodka" is a brand made from distilled soy grain alcohol. May have to check it out.

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

probably what killed off the dinosaurs

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Drunken sterile dinosaurs! Who needs 'em anyway?!!

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Whoa! At $24.99 a bottle, them dinosaurs died off drunk . . AND broke!

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Careful there Hollis, you'll get mistook for a vegetarian. Not that there's anything wrong with . . . .

Flap Doodle 3 years, 8 months ago

Tofu is a gateway food. You start eating a little bit of tofu now and then and before you know it you're a smelly hippie living on mung beans and grass clippings.

Eileen Jones 3 years, 8 months ago

It's always good to aim to better onesself. Good luck to you.

Eileen Jones 3 years, 8 months ago

Vegan beats having your arteries clogged.

wmathews 3 years, 8 months ago

You could even use threaded comments as my birthday present. It's free, after all.

somedude20 3 years, 8 months ago

What is with all of this tofu talk? Can we not talk about cool things like Matchbox cars or Dancing With The Stars or what color Star Jone's underwear is?

What color is smurf poop? I would like to make the Kitty purr and my saucer is always filled with milk!

wmathews 3 years, 8 months ago

Don't ever give up corndogs! I can't believe you'd even consider such a thing. I should remove your comment for even typing something like that.

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Whitney's birthday? Yay, Happy Birthday sweety! And I mean that in the most innocent frail old grandfatherly way! You are the best! Tell that Manly Man of yours we expect him to do something really special for you today!

Dixie Jones 3 years, 8 months ago

i thought that was Dorthy's dog in the Oz...oh wait that was toto..never mind

somedude20 3 years, 8 months ago

"I'm a rolling thunder, a pouring rain I'm comin' on like a hurricane My lightning's flashing across the sky You're only young but you're gonna die"

Richard Payton 3 years, 8 months ago

Hollis I hope that tofu bar wasn't dropped in the jail shower.

trinity 3 years, 8 months ago

nope and i'll never ever eat any tofurkey. so there.

LadyJ 3 years, 8 months ago

Autie, I think somebody got disappeareded last night, just haven't figured out who. But at least now I know why, TWMNBM

Richard Heckler 3 years, 8 months ago

Tofu Cookery 25th Anniversary Edition Edited by Louise Hagler From the Farm Community Book Publishing, 2008

Since 1983, Tofu Cookery has been America’s premier authority on how to make tofu taste delicious. Several generations of cooks have discovered the versatility of this healthful soyfood through the range of comfort foods and gourmet dishes found between the covers of this treasured volume.

Tofu has gained a well-earned reputation over the years as an economical source of high-quality, easily digestible, cholesterol-free protein.

In this 25th anniversary edition, all the recipes have been updated for today’s nutritional standards, using reduced quantities of more healthful fats, less salt, and a variety of sweeteners.

Many new recipes have been added to reflect more current tasters and trends, and to complement the old favorites everyone has loved over the years. Sumptuous photos with tofu on center stage will tempt you and help you envision how your finished dishes will look.

Barbequed Tofu

Yield: 8 servings

Using frozen tofu lends a chewy texture. Try this on the grill covered with aluminum foil to save the sauce.

To Prepare the Tofu:

1. Freeze, thaw, squeeze dry, and cut into 1/2 inch thick strips: * 2 pounds firm or extra firm tofu

2. Preheat oven to 350º F.

3. Spread a cookie sheet with: * 2 tablespoons olive oil

4. Arrange the tofu strips on the oiled cookie sheet.

5. Mix together: * 1/4 cup water * 2 tablespoons peanut butter * 1 tablespoon soy sauce * 1 clove garlic, pressed or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder * 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Pour this mixture evenly over the tofu strips and press into the strips with a spatula or an open hand. Bake for about 15 minutes, then turn the pieces over and bake for about 10 minutes more.

Pour your favorite Barbeque Sauce over all and bake 10 minutes more. Serve with French bread and a green salad.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 8 months ago

That Central Soy Hot Fiesta Tofu will warm up the soul in some darn good chili or a yumo stir fry.

Nothing like keeping some regional organic farmers in business with the purchase of a few tons of organic soybeans annually. Local Organic tofu with regional organic soybeans is patriotic.

A tasty dip = tofu,nayonaise,mustard,red bell peppers,garlic,red onion and fresh basil to taste. Grab your favorite crackers,chips,bread plus brew or wine and have at it. Yo brothers and sisters grab a tortilla,fill it, heat it up and you're off screaming YUMO.

Enjoy the day.....

Kontum1972 3 years, 8 months ago

Happy Birthday Whitney....enjoy your special day....even though u have to work.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 8 months ago

Weekly Eat - Chicken-Fried Tofu This recipe is so flexible, you can make it a ton of different ways:

Richard Heckler 3 years, 8 months ago

There are two cafe's in the KCMO metro using Central Soy smoked tofu for a delicious sandwich recipe.

One is FUD(food) near 17th and Summit. http://www.eatfud.com/

The other: Cafe Augusta - a great tasting BLT with smoked tofu (913) 859-9556 12122 W. 87 th St. Parkway Lenexa, KS 66215

Some great tasting smoked tofu fries coming from the Burger Stand and Local Burger. Several local cafe's use Central Soy Tofu.

Mooooooobs!

Save a soybean! Eat more beef!

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

What the heck is a BLT with tofu? Wouldn't that be a TLT? Sounds like Tommy the basement cat when he's gagging up hairballs . . .

LadyJ 3 years, 8 months ago

Could too much Tofu cause someone to copy and paste?

Blessed4x 3 years, 8 months ago

Only in my hot and sour soup at the chinese buffet.

coderob 3 years, 8 months ago

LJworld, could you please next time ask this question somewhere other than the Merc?

I barely eat meat, but it's really no surprise that people who shop at the Merc occasionally cook with tofu.

Blessed4x 3 years, 8 months ago

Sorry, Rob. The merc and downtown are the only places they ask questions. They might get some different answers if they tried Home Depot or west Lawrence every now and then, but they never will.