Previous   Next

According to James Cameron’s “Terminator” series, Skynet becomes self-aware and declares war on humankind on April 19, 2011. What’s your favorite science fiction movie?

Asked at Game Nut Entertainment, 844 Mass. on April 20, 2011

Browse the archives

“‘Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace.’ Darth Maul was a beast.”

E.T.

“’Star Wars: Episode IV — A New Hope.’ The original from 1977.”

“I really like the science fiction version of ‘Alice in Wonderland.’”

Comments

Kenny Nall 4 years, 3 months ago

Battlefield Earth, an aptly named film.

CreatureComforts 4 years, 3 months ago

Seriously? You are the first person I have ever heard put "favorite" and "Battlefield Earth" in the same sentence, unless it's to say "Battlefield Earth is my favorite movie ever ranked as the single worst movie of the 2000s"

gerald_bostock 4 years, 3 months ago

@kufirst didn't put "favorite" and "Battlefield Earth" in the same sentence.

Catzilla 4 years, 3 months ago

These commenters are so darn pedantic!

BrianR 4 years, 3 months ago

Uh oh, I thought it was just my computer acting up yesterday.

Sigmund 4 years, 3 months ago

The best Sci-Fi movie ever, dunno, but "The Fifth Element" a 1997 French film directed, co-written, and based on a story by Luc Besson (Nikita, The Professional, District 13), starred Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman, Milla Jovovich (Big Badda Boom!), Ian Holm, and Chris Tucker, is easily in my top 5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoKssDjs64o

Also in the top 5 is "12 Monkeys" a 1995 film directed by Terry Gilliam (Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Time Bandits, Brazil) and inspired by a 1962 short film "La jetée," and starred Bruce Willis, Madeleine Stowe, Brad Pitt, and Christopher Plummer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBNMEwNx9x4

No top five can exclude "A Clockwork Orange" a 1971 adaptation of Anthony Burgess's 1962 novel by Stanley Kubrick (Lolita, Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket) and starring Malcolm McDowell as Alex DeLarge/Narrator. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Xc-9YeWE4

Boosh 4 years, 3 months ago

Met a guy who sounded so much like Gary Oldman in "The Fifth Element" 'twere uncanny.

Majestic42 4 years, 3 months ago

Was he verrrrry disappoINTEEEDDDD!!!!!

Paul Decelles 4 years, 3 months ago

These are good choices. Maybe also add Men in Black and from an earlier time Forbidden Planet.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

email issues all day yesterday, but hey it ain't like you all haven't been warned. Bunker is prepped, everything locked and loaded. Bring it. . Oh, the question. Even though Sigourney Weaver is anti gun I can't help but like her in "The Alien" series of films. Rock it Ripley!

tomatogrower 4 years, 3 months ago

Wow, LO, finally something on which we agree.

Peacemaker452 4 years, 3 months ago

Great story, on several levels. Also, the only TV series I have ever purchased on DVD.

Adrienne Sanders 4 years, 3 months ago

Skynet became sentient back in 1997. Stick with the right movie timeline, people. (The 2011 date is from the failed tv show of a few years ago.)

labmonkey 4 years, 3 months ago

Sarah Connor Chronicles was a very good show. I was sad to see SYFI not pick it up.

Bunny_Hotcakes 4 years, 3 months ago

We have to just pick one? Bah. In the spirit of the OTS question, I'll go with my favorite sentient/malevolent computer movie, then.

Colossus: The Forbin Project. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus:_The_Forbin_Project

Also, you must read "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" by Harlan Ellison. You'll never want to say mean things to your computer again.

Joe Hyde 4 years, 3 months ago

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

how in the world did Whitney and her mildly evil band of chimps not catch that ^

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

"Aliens"...why don't you put the kid in charge, man "Event Horizon" "The Fly"...remember the Seth Brundle Museum "Blade Runner" is great I liked "The Last Star Figher" as a kid

he_who_knows_all 4 years, 3 months ago

My favorite scenes are the ones with Steve Burns from Blues Clues in them.

he_who_knows_all 4 years, 3 months ago

I saw Steve Burns drinking a beer before his concert at The Bottleneck. That was a great show and his album "Songs For Dustmites" is great.

snoozey 4 years, 3 months ago

Barbarella for frivolity, Blade Runner for noir, Alien for scaring the most hell out of a theater audience, and Star Wars for classic adherence to the genre all get my votes - and in homage to snap, I will drag out my copy of Flesh Gordon tonight.

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

Must not forget "The Omega Man" and "Lifeforce." The female vampire from "Lifeforce" was so so beautiful and nude the whole movie. It has zombies in it, destroys Angland and the lady is still naked. Great movie!!

Sigmund 4 years, 3 months ago

riverat (Joe Hyde) says… "The Andromeda Strain". Nonstop suspense. I about jumped out of my skin when that particle of lethal material captured by the satellite's filter screen twitched to life under the microscope!"

Which version? The original gets added to my top 5, the TV miniseries is terrible. "What Happened at Piedmont?" http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/sigmu...

rockchalker52 4 years, 3 months ago

Forbidden Planet The Day The Earth Stood Still Close encounters of the Third Kind Mars Attacks Return of the Jedi Plan Nine from Outer Space Planet of the Apes Dune

Also looking forward to Cowboys & Aliens

guess_again 4 years, 3 months ago

Ding Ding Ding, a winner.

Plan Nine from Outer Space! The Day the Earth Stood Still Forbidden Planet

rockchalker52 4 years, 3 months ago

Fantastic Voyage Journey to the Center of the Earth The Terminator series Men in Black

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

Nice!!! I had a thing for Catherine Mary Stewart back in the day....."Weekends at Bernies"

labmonkey 4 years, 3 months ago

Anything Terminator, Fifth Element, Mars Attacks, Any Star Trek, and the old Twilight Zone series.

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like Lawrence. B.O.- the many many hippies and bums that do not clean themselves and stink. People around me do not pick up mr dog's poo and many of the people here are not keen on Mericans

Ahhhhh...I am just being a middle aged grump since I heard that KK Downing was leaving JP

H_Lecter 4 years, 3 months ago

The streets are filled with the poop of the French people, not just dogs. More than once I witnessed the public defecation. I also witnessed public urination that would get us arrested in the USA. I was eating lunch in a park once when a class of primary students appeared with their teacher. The teacher pointed to a wall and every boy in the class lined up and left their mark. Subways, doorways, public streets & alleys. The French are a dirty little people. France is a beautiful country...if we could just get rid of the inhabitants.

BigPrune 4 years, 3 months ago

An Inconvenient Truth, science fiction made to look plausible for the gullible in order to swindle money from and create new industries for suckers including governments.

melott 4 years, 3 months ago

Run Lola Run Forbidden Planet War of the Worlds (50's version) The Time Machne (1960 version) 2001 Terminator Alien Starman The Blob (50's)

ranger73 4 years, 3 months ago

Oh yeah Spaceballs! "Ludacris speed!"

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 3 months ago

I don't think I have ever seen a movie that effected me more than Enemy Mine. The Day the Earth Stood Still comes close to the same theme but it's overly pedantic. Forbidden Planet is a great film and story but it darn well better be. It's Shakespeare. I loved a lot of cheesey fifties SF movies when I was a kid; Them! and War of the Worlds among them. But I never got into the Japanese "Godzilla" style movies. (Will never forget that, in one of them, Godzilla picks up a truck and as the animation moves his arm up to smash the truck down you can clearly see the word "Tonka" on the bottom of the truck.)

Armored_One 4 years, 3 months ago

Good Gods, is no one going to mention Star Trek: The Movie?? V-Ger was just awesome. Excellent metaphor for how we are destroying our future with the technology of today, and yet the technology of today is massively influenced by Star Trek:TOS...

There are movies like Dune, Them, Night of the Lepus (killer, people eating bunnies are just awesome), Maximum Overdrive, The Blob (Steve McQueen version), The Day After (comeon, how many low budget movies actually influence world politics), When Worlds Collide (especially since rogue stars are real, but was only just a theory when the movie was made), Repo, the Genetic Opera, The Faculty, and Ice Pirates...

Chris Golledge 4 years, 3 months ago

Lot of good choices above, Blade Runner, A Clockwork Orange, 2001, etc.

Another older one, On the Beach, 1959.

A more recent one, The Road.

Just for fun, Predator and Predators (skip all the ones in between), Starship Troopers.

Tom McCune 4 years, 3 months ago

"Metropolis," Fritz Lang, 1927, black-and-white, silent movie with inter-titles. It's still the best science fiction movie ever made.