Previous   Next

Do you do anything in recognition of Earth Day?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on April 17, 2011

Browse the archives

“No, I usually forget when it is.”

“I used to when I was younger. We did activities for school. We used to clean up trash.”

“I try on a daily basis to recycle. I do lots of gardening and I plant trees.”

“No, I generally remember Earth Day a week afterward.”

Comments

Pitt_Mackeson 4 years ago

I used my own "man made" fertilizer on the lawn. Works great but whew is it smelly. Shouldn't have had spicy possum chili yesterday yikes!

Gene Wallace 4 years ago

Bill Lee 4 years ago

Not anymore. I've moved on to others causes.

RoeDapple 4 years ago

China, one of the worlds worst offenders, produced 25.6 tons of sulfur dioxide in 2005, or roughly .003 tons per hour. During the first nine hours of the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo in the Philippines in 1991 20,000,000 tons of sulfur dioxide were released or 2,222,222 TONS per hour. Go hug someone else's tree. Get off my yard.

LogicMan 4 years ago

Fortunately for you critters there aren't many of my species here. We pass Freon instead of what you do. I'll try to hold back on Earth day.

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

Every year on Earth Day, the lemurs go off into the woods and hold a ritual. They've never let me come along. Don't know exactly what they do but they're all very frisky when they finally return to the compound.

RoeDapple 4 years ago

“The extensive use of pesticides on golf courses raises serious questions about people’s toxic exposure, drift over neighboring communities, water contamination, and effects on wildlife and sensitive ecosystems,” according to Beyond Pesticides. Now the attention towards greening golf has shifted to the golf balls themselves, which can take 1000 years to decompose."

RoeDapple 4 years ago

There are also negative environmental impacts to lawn care such as using a gas powered lawn mower, fertilizers, pesticides, and other chemicals. These can lead to adverse health impacts on children who play on lawns as well as pets, and can adversely affect the environment due to runoff.

RoeDapple 4 years ago

Just trying to beat the usual cut 'n pasters at their own game! Like how golf balls take 1000 years to deteriorate. If they quit making them today hundreds of generations of Dapples could shoot them far into the future!

kernal 4 years ago

A mixture of gin, applie cider vinegar, water and liquid dish soap will kill weeds. So will a flame thrower.

Sunny Parker 4 years ago

Earth day...I get the heck out of lawrence!

RoeDapple 4 years ago

Still celebrating the aftermath of my birthday. Anybody got any valium or hydocodone layin' around? They wouldn't give me any more morphine. . . . kicked my butt outta the hospital 20 hours after cuttin me up. jeez that first two days were mind blowers . . .

RoeDapple 4 years ago

'course there's the genuine possibility I'm as obnoxious in real life as I am here and 20 hours is all they could stand having me there . . .

Liberty275 4 years ago

Did you have the cool little morphine button while you were in the hospital? If so, you could have kept hitting it to stock up for the hard times ahead.

Of course, if you forgot to tell your doctor to prescribe some tranquilizers and painkillers this time, it's likely you will remember them next time as well as scotch for a chaser. Also remember, don't get the stuff with acetaminophen. It will destroy your liver.

RoeDapple 4 years ago

All I know is there's more staples in my back than what comes on the shipping crate for a sony widescreen. And I can feel the pointy ends of every one of 'em.

RoeDapple 4 years ago

Haha, oh, ouch, haha,ouch, ouch!!

Liberty275 4 years ago

I crank up my 19HP lawn tractor to mow my half acre if the grass is high enough and it falls on a sunday. IOW, I treat it it like every other (insert silly cause)day/month/year by not bothering to care when it is.

Romans832 4 years ago

Sorry, dajudge. Try again.

April 22, Earth Day, happened to be Easter Sunday in 1984. That is my baptism anniversary, and I sang a song with another college student who was baptized that day. So on Earth Day, I sing "Pierce My Ear" in my head. The pastor who baptized me is now in a church in St. Louis, and I visited some friends there one year, from the 21st to 24th, I believe. We went to his church the evening of my baptism anniversary.

gphawk89 4 years ago

For a long time, I never really paid much attention to Earth Day. Then one April about 20 years ago I got a bit interested and went to an Earth Day get-together in Swope Park in KC. Thought it would be a neat idea to help clean up the city a bit. There, I saw some folks running around in body paint and other strange costumes, some folks selling items made from hemp, quite a few folks doing various forms of illegal drugs, another group of folks claiming to be witches and warlocks, and some folks selling artwork. Since that day, I've never really paid much attention to Earth Day.

Kontum1972 4 years ago

they should rename it 3rd stone from the Sun day...

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years ago

I enjoy cleaning all the expired chemical products out of my house and dumping them into the wetlands. Later I will go hunting for hawks.