Previous   Next

How much would you be willing to pay for surgery for your pet?

Asked at Pet World, 711 West 23rd St. on April 9, 2011

Browse the archives

“Whatever it took.”

“Probably not more than $500.”

“It depends on how attached I am to the pet.”

“If it was a dog it’d be different, otherwise probably $1,500.”

Related story

Comments

rockchalker52 3 years, 8 months ago

depends on the prognosis. my dog has a living will. if she can no longer bury her own bones, well, it'd be time to bury her own bones. just kidding! there's no will - although she did bring it up in passing the other day. hah! (pure doggerel)

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Ah, trick question. I guess it depends on how successful I am teaching her to retrieve golf balls. Most of them float downstream, never to be seen again. Rumor has it there is a yard decorated with them on the North side of town.

LadyJ 3 years, 8 months ago

And the garden gnomes surely do appreciate it. Who would have thought gnomes play golf, at least that's what I think they're doing with them.

jwl5 3 years, 8 months ago

....didn't know they could operate on fleas...ummm -$1.23?

Ksgirl2000 3 years, 8 months ago

Just paid over $3k for back surgery for my dog with a 50/50 chance. He made it so it was a successful bargain. I'm not one to keep a pet around out of purly selfishness so many variables would be considered. As for the girl that answered $500, she shouldn't own a pet... A month that includes the animals annual check up, testing, heartworm meds, shots, flea/tick control, possible grooming and mid grade food would cost nearly that. And that's just maintenance.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 8 months ago

So...at least half that for your pet gecko? It's just another four legged pet....... (The question didn't include pet size)

Katara 3 years, 8 months ago

It is the least I can do for him. He saved me tons on money on my car insurance.

Randall Uhrich 3 years, 8 months ago

$3000 to restore my dog's eyesight. Worth it.

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Mrs Roe will be putting me in the hospital later this month. We'll see how much she's willing to spend on this old cur mutt.

LadyJ 3 years, 8 months ago

I'd be buttering her up right now if I were you.

LadyJ 3 years, 8 months ago

Hopefully they have wi-fi in case you get bored.

shamanator 3 years, 8 months ago

Top 10 Reasons Why A Pets Haircut Costs More Than Yours:

1. Your stylist does not give you a bath, clean your ears or express your anal glands.
  2. You do not go for weeks, months, or even years at a time without washing your hair.
  3. You do not roll in nasty things before seeing your stylist. For example: poop, pee, dead critters
  4. Your stylist does not have to demat your hair
  5. You sit still for your stylist
  6. Your haircut does not INCLUDE a pedicure or manicure.
  7. Your stylist only cuts the hair on your head.
  8. You don't try to bite or scratch your stylist.
  9. Your stylist doesn't kill or pick the bugs out of your hair-you get sent home without a haircut.
  10. The likelihood of you pooping or peeing during your haircut is slim.

squarepusher 3 years, 8 months ago

This has nothing to do with the article.

squarepusher 3 years, 8 months ago

You should probably give the website you got this from some credit.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 8 months ago

I'd pay anything a reasonable nationally renowned MD would ask.

You see my dog is special. Not like other pets like yours, mine is well, you know better. How many of your pets get excited when they see you coming home?

How many sleep on the end of your bed, you see mine is special. He even has a special dog bowl.

dajudge 3 years, 8 months ago

For the herniated disc that caused paralysis in the back legs, $3000. Now we can walk everyday relatively pain free, though not at 100% full strength.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 8 months ago

It's about quality of life. The same standard I would use for myself.

LadyJ 3 years, 8 months ago

$500? man I spent $400 on a parakeet. Yeah, I know but it was a very talented bird and my kid loved it.

squarepusher 3 years, 8 months ago

There are payment plans available nowadays.

LadyJ 3 years, 8 months ago

I could give you the golf balls in my garden and you could sell them to Roe if it's more than a couple hundred.

beatrice 3 years, 8 months ago

It all depends on the prognosis. If it is to mend a broken bone or remove something from the pets stomach that it shouldn't have swallowed, I'm all in. I'll spend whatever it takes. If it is cancer, however, or some other major illness like that, I'm not putting an animal through chemo or any type of longterm care. That seems like human selfishness to me that likely won't lead to longterm quality of life for the animal. I don't want to extend an animal's life if it will be one of general misery for the little creature.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 8 months ago

Chant it with me..... ObamaCare for pets now, ObamaCare for pets now!!! What? ObamaCare for pets now, ObamaCare for pets now!!! What? ObamaCare for pets now, ObamaCare for pets now!!! What? ObamaCare for pets now, ObamaCare for pets now!!!

Whether a gerbil or a horse, every animal has just as much right to quality healthcare as any human being (maybe more...! PETA will back me up on that one if you don't.

squarepusher 3 years, 8 months ago

We take these animals in to care for them, as if they were our own family. Some people here say they wouldn't spend much if it were more than a broken this or that. So if your pet has cancer, you think it would be inhumane or selfish to try and keep them alive? So it's fine if a loved one, who just so happened to be a human, is kept alive during a battle with cancer?

And why is this a trick question. Do people need to have witty angles on this subject? Don't get a pet if you aren't willing to care for it.

speak_up 3 years, 8 months ago

The difference is that if your pet has cancer, you cannot explain to them that the painful treatment they are about to receive, be it amputation, radiation, etc., is actually for their benefit. A human understands this, of course, but a dog does not. Therefore, a "battle with cancer" is fundamentally different for a human than for an animal. Some of us don't believe it is worth putting your animal through this sort of pain to extend its life for a short time. It is not a question of willingness to care for the animal. Rather, sometimes allowing your pet to pass or putting it to sleep is the more loving choice. Sometimes, I wish this approach were more socially acceptable/lawful for humans. I know I would rather be allowed to die than kept alive in pain in a nursing home when I'm 95.

Sigmund 3 years, 8 months ago

Pets are a easy ways to store protein in case of a famine.