Previous   Next

How much would you be willing to pay for surgery for your pet?

Asked at Pet World, 711 West 23rd St. on April 9, 2011

Browse the archives

“Whatever it took.”

“Probably not more than $500.”

“It depends on how attached I am to the pet.”

“If it was a dog it’d be different, otherwise probably $1,500.”

Related story

Comments

Sigmund 3 years ago

Pets are a easy ways to store protein in case of a famine.

squarepusher 3 years ago

This is simple. Whatever the cost.

panzermike007 3 years ago

Well, my last two Golden Retrievers dies of old age at 13 plus. during that time, I shelled out money for operations, vet care and nutrition supplements. Do I regret it? no! I would do it again. I like dogs better than most people!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years ago

No one spent $6000 dollars on Old Yeller. When my lab got bit by a copperhead, I just gave her a child's dose of benadryl, gave her an antibiotic injection and applied hot moist compresses to the area and made sure she drank. Or I could take her in have spend $1800 for antivenin and kenneling and ran the risk of an allergic reaction to the antivenin killing her.
One time my other lab got into some rat poison, and I crushed up a cigar in some water made a tea, then poured it down her throat to make her vomit.

mr_right_wing 3 years ago

Chant it with me..... ObamaCare for pets now, ObamaCare for pets now!!! What? ObamaCare for pets now, ObamaCare for pets now!!! What? ObamaCare for pets now, ObamaCare for pets now!!! What? ObamaCare for pets now, ObamaCare for pets now!!!

Whether a gerbil or a horse, every animal has just as much right to quality healthcare as any human being (maybe more...! PETA will back me up on that one if you don't.

psycho_theclown 3 years ago

Pay someone else? That's not necessary.

Thanks to Google.

beatrice 3 years ago

It all depends on the prognosis. If it is to mend a broken bone or remove something from the pets stomach that it shouldn't have swallowed, I'm all in. I'll spend whatever it takes. If it is cancer, however, or some other major illness like that, I'm not putting an animal through chemo or any type of longterm care. That seems like human selfishness to me that likely won't lead to longterm quality of life for the animal. I don't want to extend an animal's life if it will be one of general misery for the little creature.

autie 3 years ago

Not much. Old fido was a loyal and faithful campanion...however...a couple of c notes...no more.

autie 3 years ago

CWGOKU 3 years ago

What I am willing to pay and what I can afford to pay are two different things

LadyJ 3 years ago

$500? man I spent $400 on a parakeet. Yeah, I know but it was a very talented bird and my kid loved it.

BABBOY 3 years ago

I do not have a pet

If I did, I would not want it to die so I would spend what I could to keep it alive and safe

I would either have a big dog or cat

jhawkinsf 3 years ago

It's about quality of life. The same standard I would use for myself.

dajudge 3 years ago

For the herniated disc that caused paralysis in the back legs, $3000. Now we can walk everyday relatively pain free, though not at 100% full strength.

Scott Morgan 3 years ago

I'd pay anything a reasonable nationally renowned MD would ask.

You see my dog is special. Not like other pets like yours, mine is well, you know better. How many of your pets get excited when they see you coming home?

How many sleep on the end of your bed, you see mine is special. He even has a special dog bowl.

prospector 3 years ago

Whatever

And have you seen what those groomers get?. Ten times what Amyx will clip you for.

RoeDapple 3 years ago

Mrs Roe will be putting me in the hospital later this month. We'll see how much she's willing to spend on this old cur mutt.

g_rock 3 years ago

Hi Matt!

And the mutant tiger cricket that lives behind my couch is paying for his own boob job. I'm not spending money on that. It is his own choice.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years ago

$500? I guess I should find a more expensive vet, somehow pay more for Iams® than retail, over pay someone to treat the 3 acre yard. Hell, I don't even spend $500 a month to feed a family of 5.

Randall Uhrich 3 years ago

$3000 to restore my dog's eyesight. Worth it.

Ksgirl2000 3 years ago

Just paid over $3k for back surgery for my dog with a 50/50 chance. He made it so it was a successful bargain. I'm not one to keep a pet around out of purly selfishness so many variables would be considered. As for the girl that answered $500, she shouldn't own a pet... A month that includes the animals annual check up, testing, heartworm meds, shots, flea/tick control, possible grooming and mid grade food would cost nearly that. And that's just maintenance.

thebcman 3 years ago

Zero. Zilch. Nada. Sorry, but you have to have financial priorities in these hard times.

tange 3 years ago

Whether and how much to pay for surgery for a pet... guess you end up paying one way or another.

Elrond 3 years ago

$10,000 Been there, done that. Bought me 4 more years with my precious friend.

Elrond

jwl5 3 years ago

....didn't know they could operate on fleas...ummm -$1.23?

RoeDapple 3 years ago

Ah, trick question. I guess it depends on how successful I am teaching her to retrieve golf balls. Most of them float downstream, never to be seen again. Rumor has it there is a yard decorated with them on the North side of town.

rockchalker52 3 years ago

depends on the prognosis. my dog has a living will. if she can no longer bury her own bones, well, it'd be time to bury her own bones. just kidding! there's no will - although she did bring it up in passing the other day. hah! (pure doggerel)

jackpot 3 years ago