Previous   Next

Do you prefer using paper or plastic bags and why?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on April 8, 2011

Browse the archives

“Paper, it’s better for the environment.”

“I normally use plastic because I can reuse them as little trash bags.”

“Plastic. I can put my kitty’s poop in them.”

“Plastic. I reuse them as trash bags and recycling dirty diapers.”

Comments

Bill Lee 3 years, 8 months ago

Plastic because I can carry more of them at a time. I like the convenience of handles, which is also a big advantage to using reusable canvas bags. I like to limit my trips up the stairs to my apartment to one.

deec 3 years, 8 months ago

I am a little disturbed by the lady who "recycles dirty diapers". How does that work, exactly?

ToteAlongShaker 3 years, 8 months ago

i'd really like to know that too. we use cloth diapers and give the plastic bags to our sitter so she can put the used diapers in them during the day for easy/clean transport back to our house. but if she's talking about disposable i'm very curious ....

Kat Christian 3 years, 8 months ago

Good for you for using cloth diapers. They are so much more healthier and more comfortable for babies then those nasty paper ones. When my kids were babies their weren't paper diapers until my youngest was born. When I used paper diapers on him he broke out in the worse rash. Never used them again. That have definately increased waste since their inception. I'd like to do away with paper diapers all together.

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Jeez . . . we have paper bags filled with neatly folded plastic bags. What are we savin' all that for? It's like an episode of "Hoarders", except every once in a while I sneak a few out to the burn barrel. Plastic does help keep the ammo dry in a high humidity environment. Handy for carrying golf balls to the sandbar too.

grammaddy 3 years, 8 months ago

Neither. Paper bags mean a tree was killed and plastic takes FOREVER to break down. I carry my own reusable bags in my car so they're with me wherever I go. A couple of them were crocheted from other plastic bags.

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

I hope you clean them regularly, as the run off from groceries will grow bacteria in them, especially in a hot car in warm weather. Bags that have carried meat are very prone to this.

Kat Christian 3 years, 8 months ago

Oh brother now another issue with germs. paper bags = poor trees, plastic bags = eternal breakdown, now cloth bags = germs. Some of these were not made to be washed they would fall apart. Just spray then with lysol. Oh that's right arosol - bad for the earth. No where to go on this one.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 8 months ago

You are aware that trees are a renewable resource, right? When a paper company harvests trees, they plant more so they'll have another crop in a few years. Pretty much like wheat with a longer harvest cycle.

number3of5 3 years, 8 months ago

I prefer to use my own reusable shopping bags, but if it is a choice between paper or plastic, I prefer paper. I can use them to wrap packages to mail or to make baskets of all sizes and shapes. Some of them are great for gardening, while others are doll beds. I even reuse the plastic ones when I do get them for trash bags and to put dirty diapers in for disposal so they don't smell so bad.

number3of5 3 years, 8 months ago

Kontum1972 3 years, 8 months ago

u can puke in a plastic bag...and other things too.....portable potty....lol

kernal 3 years, 8 months ago

You still can at The Merc. There's a big bin of them just inside the front entrance.

I remember the days when my mom called in her grocery order in the morning and a they would be delivered that afternoon in cardboard boxes. The kid would unload them and take the boxes back to use again. Of course that ended when supermarkets took over retail food sales and the mom and pop neighborhood grocery stores became history.

seriouscat 3 years, 8 months ago

I bet they would if enough people commented that they want it. Come to think of it I will do that next time I go in. Checkers is really responsive to their customers.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 8 months ago

I like paper bags. I also pity the fool that thinks I am in Blue Springs, MO.

seriouscat 3 years, 8 months ago

This is an occasion where we could learn from the elders in our community. You know, the ones who have those rolling foldable baggage carts? Those ones.

booyalab 3 years, 8 months ago

plastic. I reuse them to trap small woodland animals. Then I repurpose them and craft lovely plastic bag flowers and sprinkle them all over the nearest meadow. Paper bags are good too because so many trees are killed to make them. Stupid trees. It's a tough choice.

somedude20 3 years, 8 months ago

Richard Payton 3 years, 8 months ago

Some gals have a hard time chosing which PP to chose. I've seen them stand in line and work up a sweat trying to determine if they want paper or plastic (PP). I wish the stock boy would just give her one PP and that way she doesn't have to chose which PP she wants.

kernal 3 years, 8 months ago

To answer the original question: five paperbags a year to put the weeds in as I dig them up; plastic bags for meat and hot foods from the deli so they don't leak in my car and washable cloth bags for most of my groceries.

rockchalker52 3 years, 8 months ago

Reusable canvas or cloth bags, the Scrooge McDuck in me LUVS the nickel discount! Last time, I had the clerk put the bag o' spuds into my canvas bag. He wouldn't gimme the five cents, tho - said it was redundant.

boxers_or_briefs 3 years, 8 months ago

Neither. I just make my wife carry everything.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 8 months ago

Since a banned user has indicated that he is monitoring this award-winning forum..."Sven Erik Alstrom does SNAP on the LJW forum really live in Blue Springs, Missouri? stay tuned for more info on the posters that Jonathan & Whitney seem to love." Somebody's double naught spies are totally wrong, but keep raving, punk. It amuses me.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 8 months ago

Paper rips, especially if it gets wet. (I've found 'recycled' paper to be even less durable.)

Plastic stretches; and when you're walking to save on energy (and for some exercise) that's important!!

Eugehne Normandin 3 years, 8 months ago

If you use paper bags it iseasier for the the dogs to sniff out your stuff

Blessed4x 3 years, 8 months ago

I prefer the cloth ones, not because of any environmental mumbo jumbo but because I can carry more in them. Don't completely get rid of the plastic ones though. When I've volunteered with Operation Uplift I've found that the homeless people love the plastic bags and have a million and one uses for them.