Previous   Next

Do you talk more or text more on your cell phone?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 30, 2010

Browse the archives

“I use it to talk more because it’s more personable to have a conversation with people.”

“I would say I text more often because I can text at work, I can’t talk at work.”

“Talk definitely, with my job it’s a lot easier to talk than to text. Things get done faster.”

“Talk more, I usually keep conversations short, but I keep text messages much, much shorter.”

Comments

Lacy Mohler 3 years, 6 months ago

Talk--I had the texting shut off. I don't need text messages from GEICO---or Verizon for that matter.

gccs14r 3 years, 6 months ago

Texting takes too long and is too expensive. It's good for transmitting precise information, though, especially if the recipient won't be able to write it down.

g_rock 3 years, 6 months ago

And how odd is it that the "communication major" of the folks they interviewed was the only one that was a texter??

mr_right_wing 3 years, 6 months ago

It's hard to believe there was life before cellphones.

I think they called that the 'stone age'.

I have never had a desire to get a cellphone and I truly doubt I ever will. There is a reason we have answering machines/voice mail for our home phones.

I will confess I did recently get a 'cordless' phone (with a corded for back-up in case of a power outage.)

RoeDapple 3 years, 6 months ago

i spend all my tiem in my momma's basement sittin in front of this dam screen maybe i would text her for a samitch if she hadnt run my fone thru the wash oh well i can still yell at her to bringit to me.

whats_going_on 3 years, 6 months ago

generally, I don't like either. Since I got an iphone, I really don't like texting all that much. DEFINITELY not for a conversation.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 6 months ago

I cannot stand texting... I really think it is the rudest form of communication ever. Just saying.

CWGOKU 3 years, 6 months ago

Text... saves me the time of hanging up on people.

psycho_theclown 3 years, 6 months ago

I save the txting for when I'm driving.

"my BFF Becky just txted me that she kissed Bill." "Problem is, I like Bill." "Now I've been emotionally compromised and you're all going to pay for it."

HedleyLamarrr 3 years, 6 months ago

I use my telepathy interface to beam my thoughts directly in to others heads

Andini 3 years, 6 months ago

Nice question. 50/50 for me.

I hope tomorrows question will be: Do you prefer Boxers or Briefs?

autie 3 years, 6 months ago

What is more likely to be real, vampires or sasquatch? Vampires can't sext...least thats what I heard yesterday.

g_rock 3 years, 6 months ago

Worst societal impact from texting:

people that no longer take the effort to spell complete words.

....discuss.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 6 months ago

My thumbs are too fat. Hell, I barely use my cell phone at all.

trinity 3 years, 6 months ago

lol good one gutenberg. i text quite a bit, i'm an anomaly-a lady who hates talking on the phone. period.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 6 months ago

"First. Big Bowel Movement."

Dude, TMI, TMI.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 6 months ago

"First. BBM. "

Lame.

BiscuitS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BABBOY 3 years, 6 months ago

I am on my phone all day. Mostly work related. I send emails all day either via smart phone or computer also usually work related. I do not really send texts but the emails are basically the same thing.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 6 months ago

I randomly sext, but not at noon. I dislike psalms, they are like 150 clusters of haiku, and I hate haiku, ever since the third grade, when had to write haiku, I much prefer heroic couplets, as that is how I sext, in iambic pentameter, just like John Donne, who, if cell phones were around in his day and age, would have, obviously, sexted, but not at noon.

Chris Ogle 3 years, 6 months ago

My only text message: Call me

jonas_opines 3 years, 6 months ago

Depends on who I'm talking to and what I'm talking about. Texts are good for the things that if you called would entail a minute conversation to impart 5 seconds of information, such as where you're meeting or what time. If what you have to say can't be put in a text any shorter than 2-3 lines, though, it's time to just hold a real conversation.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 6 months ago

I send photographs of commercial vessels operating on Lake Erie during the first half of the 20th Century.

g_rock 3 years, 6 months ago

I like that a phone has turned into a device that you can avoid talking to people on. Who would have thought?

And I have enough fat finger errors typing on this keyboard. Can you imagine my text-os?

autie 3 years, 6 months ago

OMG. Can we get some creativity here? What's your favorite color?

Bill Lee 3 years, 6 months ago

Neither. Don't have a cell phone; don't need a cell phone; don't want a cell phone.