Previous   Next

What was your favorite cartoon?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 29, 2010

Browse the archives

“‘Tom and Jerry’ because the mouse was so obnoxious that every once in awhile you could root just a little bit for the cat.”

“‘Hey Arnold!’ because Arnold was so cute and wholesome.”

“My favorite cartoon when I was a kid was the ‘Rugrats’ because Tommy Pickles, whenever he cries, sounded like ‘wah wah wah.’”

“The ‘Rugrats’ because I think it was pretty awesome.”

Comments

Roland Gunslinger 4 years, 9 months ago

Gatchaman as it was called in Japan. In the U.S. it was called Battle of the Planets or later on, G-Force.

A few years ago I went and purchased the entire DVD collection of episodes off of ebay. Brought back a lot of memories of early Saturday mornings sitting in my PJs spilling cereal everywhere.

nobody1793 4 years, 9 months ago

was that the one where the space ship turned into fire and there was some prissy underwater robot?

Gene Wallace 4 years, 9 months ago

Natasha called Rocket J. Squirrel, "Silly Squirrel".

looza 4 years, 9 months ago

Rocky & Bullwinkle........................................today replaced by Obama & Biden

Gene Wallace 4 years, 9 months ago

Obama and Biden are Boris and Natasha. Rocky and Bullwinkle are true Red, White and Blue American Patriots!

Gene Wallace 4 years, 9 months ago

Do you remember the evil metal munching mice from Muni Mula who Boris and Natasha commanded to munch the TV antennas from the rooftops of all the houses in America; thereby throwing the entire country into panic and chaos? (Muni Mula = aluminum spelled backwards. )

Sagecasey 4 years, 9 months ago

Hong Kong Phooey and the Laffolympics

dajudge 4 years, 9 months ago

Tom Terrific and his Mighty Dog, Manfred.

Gene Wallace 4 years, 9 months ago

"I'm Tom Terrific, the greatest hero ever. I can be what i want to be, cause I'm so clever."

Frederic Gutknecht IV 4 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Peabody and Sherman Fractured Fairy Tales ...

Gene Wallace 4 years, 9 months ago

The very first made for TV cartoon character, Crusader Rabbit (Does anyone remember? If Yes, then you are Ancient!) Followed by Mighty Mouse, Bugs Bunny and The Road Runner. Supermarionation "cartoon" shows "Fireball XL5" and "Super Car". Of course, Astroboy!

Jeff Cuttell 4 years, 9 months ago

Jonny Quest, Hong Kong Phooy, and Superfriends, were great cartoons. Live action Saturday morning shows were pretty good too. My favorites over the years were.... Land of the Lost Shazaam/ Isis hour Sigmund and the Sea Monsters HR Puffenstuff

Ralph Reed 4 years, 9 months ago

Ah say, Speak up! What's the mattuh, cat got your tongue?

Practicality 4 years, 9 months ago

Foghorn Leghorn or Yosemite Sam, followed by Popeye.

Question: Is that Brian Russell, the psychologist/lawyer, the guy who appears on O'Reilly sometimes?

Practicality 4 years, 9 months ago

Ah yes, Fat Albert. I have often wondered if Fat Albert would have been invented by a White person, if they would have been accused of Racial Sterotyping.

trinity 4 years, 9 months ago

lol sure can tell people's ages with THIS ots! :) my faves? Heckle&Jeckle...Beanie&Cecil...Deputy Dawg!!!! Dagnabbit!

sloppyscience 4 years, 9 months ago

The holy trinity of my youth: GI Joe, Transformers, He-man

sloppyscience 4 years, 9 months ago

And I need to make mention of Superfriends as well "Meanwhile, at the hall of justice..."

Amy Heeter 4 years, 9 months ago

Depuy Dawg was the one who sang oh my darling....

trinity 4 years, 9 months ago

THAT is who Roy Williams always reminded me of! Huckleberry Hound!

slowplay 4 years, 9 months ago

The Jetsons. George, Jane, Judy and Elroy. My favorite cartoon character - Jessica Rabbit.

Kyle Neuer 4 years, 9 months ago

Gottta start with the classics- Warner Bros./Looney Tunes, Fleischer Bros. "Popeye", most anything by Tex Avery, early Tom and Jerry. Several of the Disney "Silly Symphonies" were great. Can't forget Yogi Bear/Huckleberry Hound/Quick Draw McGraw. Rocky/Bullwinkle/Boris/Natasha/Fearless Leader/Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman were super. More recently, I've gotta go with Pee Wee's Playhouse(it may as well have been a cartoon), John K.-era Ren and Stimpy, The Simpsons and South Park. In print, the works of Robert Crumb, Gilbert Shelton, Spain and KU alum S.Clay Wilson were complete game changers.

Kyle Neuer 4 years, 9 months ago

Gene Wallace 4 years, 9 months ago

Pee Wee's Playhouse was first a Comedy Act spoofing children's shows, Then it became a TV children's show, the Pee Wee's Great Adventure movie, followed by the cartoon. Now Paul Reuben, Pee Wee Herman, is back to doing the original comedy stage act.

Jay_lo 4 years, 9 months ago

Actually Alfy Gator a bad guy who tried to lure Yakky Doodle, the little duck (are you my mama?) away from his friend and protector Chopper the dog. Alfy was voiced by Daws Butler imitating Hitchcock.

Wally Gator was a good guy who's only fault was escaping from the zoo for some kind of escapade. Incidently, Wally was also voiced by Daws Butler imitating Ed Wynn an old time comedy actor.

labmonkey 4 years, 9 months ago

Animaniacs had to be one of the best cartoons ever. Kooky and clean enough for little kids, but intelligent enough for those who are older. The last great Warner Brother's cartoon.

Katara 4 years, 9 months ago

"Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?" "The same thing we do every night, Pinky—try to take over the world!"

HW 4 years, 9 months ago

Woody Woodpecker and the rest of the Woody Woodpecker Show.

Gene Wallace 4 years, 9 months ago

Learned to speak from Andy Panda, another Lantz character, and my Tail-Of-Missouri Mom. Went through a few years of speech therapy, in grade school, before people could understand me. Hated those Magpies! and, thought that Chilly Willy was a real wimp.

Kyle Neuer 4 years, 9 months ago

Woody Woodpecker was an evil jerk. Nothing redeeming there, at all.

kernal 4 years, 9 months ago

For animated cartoons, it's a tie between Looney Tunes (wuv that wascally wabbit and Elmer) and Animaniacs. But Opus will always be my favorite for printed cartoons.

earline james 4 years, 9 months ago

The Tick, the Roadrunner and the Pink Panther are still favorites. I remember getting up on Saturdays to watch PeeWee's Playhouse (that counts, right?). I'm late to The Simpsons party, so it's all fresh and new to me. And I watch King of the Hill.

hail2oldku 4 years, 9 months ago

I like the was_freashpowder2 & smitty comic strip that runs along with the Yellow House stories.

fancy80 4 years, 9 months ago

Pepe LePew, Underdog and for printed cartoons, the Far side.

Jay_lo 4 years, 9 months ago

Go Go Gophers watch 'em go go go! Of course Yogi - "Looks more like a Sycamore to me!" and Boo Boo - "Mr. Ranger isn't going to like that Yogi".

The Flinstones, Snagglepuss, and Hokey Wolf & Ding-a-Ling!

Editorator 4 years, 9 months ago

Fritz the Cat, and since some confuse cartoons with comics, Omaha the Cat Dancer

independant1 4 years, 9 months ago

Daffy Duck, what a manic! woo hoo, woo hoo, woo hoo, wo hoo

least, Clutch Cargo and his dog Paddlefoot

Clara Westphal 4 years, 9 months ago

Daffy Duck followed close behind by Bullwinkle Moose and Rocket J. (jet) Squirrel.

Jeff Cuttell 4 years, 9 months ago

Here's some others that you might have forgotten

Dyno Mutt and Blue Falcon The Tick Go Go Gophers were mentioned but great! Tennessee Tuxedo Dudley Do Right Pepe Le Peugh a live action one was Electro Woman and Dyna Girl

Katara 4 years, 9 months ago

The Tick, Eek the Cat, Battle of the Planets & Thundercats.