Previous   Next

How soon did you take your children to the dentist?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 20, 2010

Browse the archives

“We haven’t taken him in yet. I would have to talk to our physician when we go in for his one-year checkup, but I would guess maybe three or four.”

“When they started getting ready for school.”

“Before they hit kindergarten when they were about 4 years old.”

“When she started getting teeth, and I wanted to make sure they were coming in good.”

Comments

grammaddy 4 years, 10 months ago

My oldest 2 went at 4 when they were getting ready to start school. The youngest 2 went as soon as they had a couple of teeth.

Raymond Munoz 4 years, 10 months ago

Ronaldo: Because you love your children and know that we're here to help, not hurt. :)

But in all seriousness, folks, we recommend you start bringing your child to the dentist at age 1. A "happy visit" gets them used to coming to the dentist and we often diagnose decay and other problems in children much younger than 3 or 4 years old. In fact, we've seen children that have a whole mouth full of cavities by age 2!

The Douglas County Dental Clinic has a program called ABCD (Access to Baby and Child Dentistry) whose sole purpose is to make sure low-income, uninsured children ages 0-5 living in Douglas County visit the dentist to prevent any major dental issues during these formative years. Please visit the clinic's website to find out more about ABCD and the services we provide!

Deja Coffin 4 years, 10 months ago

Why is it that the dentist I talked to that take my insurance say they wouldn't see my children until they were around 3 but yet the dentist that would love to see my children at the age of one, don't take my dental insurance. Is that just me and my funky dental insurance or a common thing?

Nikki May 4 years, 10 months ago

What's interesting about that is that you probably have a family plan for dental and you are paying the premium. I don't know the answer though. Both mine started going at about 3 which is what the dentist told at the time, but all the parenting magazines are saying 1 now.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 10 months ago

We took my oldest daughter right around three years old and our middle daughter at 2 1/2 because I thought she had a cavity. Which actually they have an appointment this week... thanks for the reminder LJW!!!
Also, I think the baby is already getting teeth at 3 months old because he is drooling and chewing on everything. I thought this was extremely early but someone I know said her youngest son was born with 2 teeth. Isn't that crazy? Has that happened to anyone else?

Deja Coffin 4 years, 10 months ago

Ha ha, I meant has anyone had a baby born with teeth. Although my 5 year old swears she remembers being a baby.

Bobbi Walls 4 years, 10 months ago

My oldest started go around 4 and my youngest started seeing the dentist before her 2nd birthday because she knocked a tooth out.

Harold_Chasen 4 years, 10 months ago

It amazes me that even with all the diagnostic capabilities of the internet and ability to order one's own supplies/equipment that the American medical and dental professionals have any business. I make it a habit to practice before I attempt the actual surgeries. That's why all the neighborhood dogs and cats have have received free vasectomies.