Previous   Next

Have you ever carved a pumpkin?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 16, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yup, for Halloween. It was fun.”

“I have never carved a pumpkin. My family does not celebrate Halloween.”

“Yes, everyone did it when they were kids … triangle eyes and a jagged mouth.”

“Yes, I did it because I was really into ‘Ghostbusters’ when I was little, so it ended up being the ‘Ghostbusters’ emblem.”

Comments

H_Lecter 4 years, 3 months ago

I prefer to think of it as assisted seppuku.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

me an cuzin elroy got caut aksadenttly drivin thru this punkin patch the farmer sed yuo boys kin werk teh nex three munths too pay fer dammages or he wuold cal the law we lernt a good lessin that fall of 1963 yessiree but i aint sposed to talk boutit.

Bill Lee 4 years, 3 months ago

Simple carvings and elaborate ones. I enjoy finding new ways to carve 'em.

gatekeeper 4 years, 3 months ago

Colorado Springs is full of ultra crazy religious people. They probably think it's the devil's holiday.

monkey_c 4 years, 3 months ago

Glad to hear the report. I was wonderin'

Katara 4 years, 3 months ago

I lived in Springfield for a few years & I miss that cashew chicken so much. I don't remember it being sweet though, more of a savory taste.

There was a hole in the wall shack that I got it from. It was pickup only because there was no room for seating. I don't remember the name of the place - only that it was on the same street as the Golden Nugget, a pawn shop/movie rental store. We would go get movies there & then pick up the cashew chicken - $3 & enough for 2 meals.

When I moved to Kansas, I was surprised and a bit disappointed to find out that cashew chicken was not even remotely the same as it was in Springfield. On top of that, no one seemed to know what I was talking about when I described the dish. :(

I have not found any place locally that serves Springfield style chicken cashew but I found a recipe for it though. I have not tried to make it yet. http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/springfield-style-cashew-chicken-i/Detail.aspx

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I carved one out of a cantelope. Painted it orange, and it looked just like a pumpkin!

riverdrifter 4 years, 3 months ago

In on this one late and I was going to bait H_Lecter into commenting if he hadn't. Should've known...

blindrabbit 4 years, 3 months ago

I'd say if you are from Colorado Springs and your family does not believe in All Hallow's Day you need to be a psychology major and also add a little levity. Better yet, try to attend one of the Druids ceremonies held around here; kinda hard to find since the Stull Church site is heavily defended Bah Humbug! Remember the Spring's is home to the Air Force Academy, by far the most christian, conservative of the service academies, also Ted Haggart and that former Colorado University footdall coach McCarthy

Lighten up, life is too short.