Previous   Next

Should sales tax generated on campus go toward scholarships?

Asked at Kansas Union, 1301 Jayhawk Blvd. on September 15, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes because I feel the scholarship program needs to be expanded to better reward students for doing well in high school.”

“Yes … that helps out the students, and that concerns me.”

“I think the tax should be shifted toward scholarships in order to help students that are struggling, especially during this economic time.”

“I am in favor of this, were the money actually to be used for scholarships.”

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

If this happens, how long before universities start attracting retail on all levels to open on campus? The downtown watering holes would dry up, coffee shops, book stores and clothing boutiques would follow the money, enticed by low rent/lease deals. Can't imagine anyone thinking this is a good idea, except for the universities. Bet Lew wished he thought of it.

H_Lecter 4 years, 6 months ago

As I was telling Ines Sainz in the interview, this will certainly lead to the sale of beer on campus. We can order anything at the alumni center, so adding a happy hour at the union and the first three quarters of athletic events should provide enough scholarship money for everyone in need. Cheers...Here'e to scholarships.

LogicMan 4 years, 6 months ago

While in theory this sounds primo for students and their institutions, this giving special tax statuses to various interest groups is part of what got the State into financial trouble. Instead, the legislature should be moving in the other direction - sunsetting special tax breaks to make the system fairer for all as well as improving revenue for the State.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 6 months ago

I agree with you on Crazy Heart, but Bridges is good enough I give him a mulligan.

Bill Lee 4 years, 6 months ago

How about a computer generated John Wayne remaking one of his own movies? It's possible.

Bill Lee 4 years, 6 months ago

beatrice 4 years, 6 months ago

The organ is small?

Are we talking about guns again?

labmonkey 4 years, 6 months ago

Do we really trust the Universities to use the funds for ACADEMIC scholarships and not somehow funnel it into athletics? This is the reason I refuse to donate to my alma mater because I fear that happening.

beatrice 4 years, 6 months ago

"RI has himself confused."

Um, and the sky is blue.

(just kidding RI, just kidding)

sherbert 4 years, 6 months ago

No. From what I understand, the University pays no property tax. Isn't that enough??

Bill Lee 4 years, 6 months ago

The state does not pay any taxes; it only collects them.

BorderRuffian 4 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, sure. Just like lottery income actually goes to education. Whatever.................

Food_for_Thought 4 years, 6 months ago

I love how the four "quoted" interviews shown above are all from what appear to be college students or college-aged persons, who would certainly welcome any financial relief to keep them in school...

beatrice 4 years, 6 months ago

Will KU endowment funds, particularly in sports, go toward the upkeep of the Lawrence infrastructure or help build a new library?

Taxes raised in the city should go to the city.

How much in taxes are we talking about? If we know the amount, then the question should be, Are you in support of allowing X number of dollars from taxes collected to be spent on KU scholarships? I have a feeling I know what the overwhelming response would be.

2002 4 years, 6 months ago

NO. Are you kidding? KU creates massive impacts on the city, most good but those dollars need to go to the City and State to pave roads, provide law enforcement and so on.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 6 months ago

How will the sales tax loss to the city,county and state be replaced?

What services will be cut?

How many people will lose their jobs?

Create instead a campus academic scholarship sales tax dedicated to college and Vo Tech studies.

“I am in favor of this, were the money actually to be used for scholarships.”

— Josephine Michener, organismal biology, Lawrence

Good thinking...

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 6 months ago

Merrill: why do you hate the working class? Further, why do you hate the comma?

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 6 months ago

You must be kidding regarding your economic argument. I suggest you look at Leavenworth to see what Lawrence would be like without KU.

Tony Kisner 4 years, 6 months ago

What if the school lowered the per hour fee for all students giving access to more students which might generate more revenue for the school which could be used to fund more scholarships. Plus students would have more money to spend at the book store producing sales tax which would go into the general fund which could fund teachers salaries which would create access to more students who which might generate more revenue for the school which could be used to lower per hour fees.