Previous   Next

Should high schools start later in the day so kids can get more sleep?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 5, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes, research shows that high school kids don’t get enough sleep and that affects their health and their academic performance and everything else.”

“Yes they should. I remember when I was in high school I would have been able to concentrate a lot better if I had more sleep.”

“I would say no because, generally, when you have to start working you’re going to have to start waking up very early in order to meet those obligations.”

“Oh, give me a break … get them up early in the morning. It would do them some good.”

Related story

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

When I was in high school I had t get up at 2 AM to milk 90 head of cows, feed 200 hogs and gather fresh eggs from 500 chickens. I wore hand-me-down clothes from my dead uncles and didn't have any shoes until I was seventeen. I carried my brother and sister on my back twelve miles to school, uphill both ways, in blinding snow storms with lightening striking all around me. The school was one room and the teacher taught 47 kids grades 1 through 12. She made me shovel coal into the boiler down in the basement, plus tend to her laundry and dirty dishes. Due to my extremely high IQ and the fact I was driven to excel I managed to graduate with honors and became the manager of the local chapter of American Mud Wrestling.

Kids these days don't know how good they got it!

;-)

Boosh 4 years, 3 months ago

"She made me shovel coal into the boiler down in the basement, plus tend to her laundry and dirty dishes."

Makes one wonder what you did ta git such punishments :) No time outs fer you!

RKLOG 4 years, 3 months ago

I hear ya. I was very close to finding a cure for both TB and heart disease in my high school science lab class, but the long hours at Dunkin Donuts mixed with the inch high pile of homework from my PE class allowed me to only have time to complete my popcorn and noodle macrame project. Which ended up all wrecked anyways because I had to use it to cover my cap-less head, walking our 12 miles to school, during one of the blinding ice needle snow blizzards we would have every morning.

ohjayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

^^^ lol

Anyway, here's a novel idea for kids to get more sleep... GO TO BED EARLIER!!!

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

Excellent suggest. That is the other side of this coin.

wysiwyg69 4 years, 3 months ago

Start classes later and the kids will stay up later knowing they can sleep in a little later, brilliant!!!!!!!! How about if parents maybeeee try to put rules down that thier kids go to bed sooner. And once they get out of the school system, and have to get a job, maybe their bosses can start their work day a little later. Quit raisng a bunch of softies.

Boosh 4 years, 3 months ago

A point that Susan seems to be totally ignoring.

Boosh 4 years, 3 months ago

I should point out that Susan should should be the expert here.

nobody1793 4 years, 3 months ago

I think we should replace all the high school teachers with mean-ass nuns who will smack the crap out of them.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 3 months ago

I say sure let them sleep a bit longer. Have school from 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM. This also eliminates public school traffic from the morning rush hour.

Not only that I challenge USD 497 school board to revise classes completely. This I say will be more productive for teachers and students.

Is there truly any need for students to be doing class per se 5 days a week?

Let's talk 3 days in class and two days to read and do written homework. The two days could in classroom for assistance, study hall or home for excellent students. This constitutes a full time student.

Yes the the teaching staff would still be at school 5 days a week. No doubt they could find plenty to do. Grading papers,preparing for tests/lab experiments etc etc. Teaching staff do put in plenty of time after hours. Perhaps these two days would be helpful. Not only would they be doing themselves some benefit but also be there for students who have questions and/or need help with homework.

It would seem that two days available to help students,if necessary,would be equally as beneficial as "class time".

The school library would be open as well for research work.

All in all could this empower the student, feed comprehension, improve testing, be more productive and make school less stressful yet more interesting?

Could it save revenue?

Tuesday and Thursday could be days for study hall, teacher access and exercise? All of which are good for the brain cells?

budwhysir 4 years, 3 months ago

just as long as employers are willing to change the work days as this generation gets into the work force. Who comes up with this stuff??? The school district is in financial ruins and there is someone doing a study on how kids can go to school later? sounds like a money saver to me.

Next I suppose somebody is going to tell me that these kids should be able to fix food and brush thier teeth without any help.

Here is an idea, let em start school later, but have them walk to school. no more driving or bus riding. Good old fresh morning air. In a few years they can text answers to the mainframe computer and we can do away with school all together.

1029 4 years, 3 months ago

After around age 15 or so they should have a choice to go to school to begin with. This will also save tax dollars. Kids who would rather sleep can get second or third shift jobs and learn trades instead.