Previous   Next

Do you have any pets that exhibit strange behavior traits?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa St. on October 16, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes … a little chihuahua … he barks at everything under the sun. If the wind doesn’t blow right, he barks.”

“Yes … our cat is extremely vocal. It howls for half an hour straight at the top of its lungs in the middle of the night.”

“Yes, my cat. She chases her tail sometimes.”

“Yes, we have bunny rabbits. When we bring them inside, they try to dig up the carpet.”

Comments

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

'Tommy The Basement Cat' likes to sleep on the back of the couch with his chin resting on top of Mrs Roe's head.

LadyJ 3 years, 11 months ago

Roe, I like this habit of Tommy's better, from my blog---

RoeDapple (anonymous) says… Another "Tommy the Basement Cat" story! Basement Cat climbs up on the computer desk downstairs (wife's computer in basement, not mine!), pulls pushpins from the corkboard then places them in MY work shoes. They can be quite a surprise on those early mornings I need to get out the door quickly. He also pushes them, along with pencils, paper clips or whatever he can find under the door to the basement as a way of saying, "Hey! I'm here! Somebody open this d@#n door so I can pester the dog!

grammaddy 3 years, 11 months ago

We used to have a cat that would dive bomb the bathtub anytime there was water in it.I never knew a cat that love water like that.

MaryKatesPillStash 3 years, 11 months ago

Was there a chance the cat had some Siberian in him/her? My cat is a Siberian and she gets in the shower with me. Siberians are known for loving water...I'm sure there are other breeds that do, too.

My dog barks at me when I'm on the phone.

jonas_opines 3 years, 11 months ago

Let's see. . . . .

One of our cats has what seems like kitty alzheimers. He'll rub lovingly up against the dog for a bit and then yowl and whap him in the face.

Another has the habit now of waking us up for food in the morning by leaping off one nightstand to the top of my wife's head, to the top of my head, and then to the other nightstand. Repeat as often as necessary.

The dog used to push his dish around the room with his nose like a hockey puck. Then when I made a wood frame for it, he would cry while he ate because he couldn't do it anymore.

HomeSlice 3 years, 11 months ago

Mr. Horan's cat must be unnerved by all the catgut down in the workshop when he roams at night. He is perfectly safe of course, since no cats are used, but have you ever tried to reason with a cat?

BrianR 3 years, 11 months ago

My German Shepherd is a tax attorney.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

My tax attorney is a pit bull . . .

blindrabbit 3 years, 11 months ago

Our male Manx cat (no tail) likes to sit on thr carpet like a human on his butt with rear legs extended outward and front legs tucked between the rears (looks like a buddha), He'll watch television like that for awhile and eventually falls asleep. Looks awful uncomfortable to me as his back is curved so much with no support. We all laugh at him but he seems nonplussed by the whole thing.

He also waits by the shower door and loves to be wetted down and toweled off after we get out!.

asbury 3 years, 11 months ago

Ha!! So does mine!! She took off after two huge German Shepherds last weekend....The funny part is, it was a chilly day.........and she was wearing her fur trimmed pink parka!! Oh, and she catches flies in mid air......we never have to buy bug spray!

lubyloo 3 years, 11 months ago

My Australian Shepherd loves stuffed animals and will lay on the floor sucking on them (yes, sucking on them) for hours. She used to have a snake stuffed animal and would act VERY strange about it. She used to whine and wimper and act very skittish when she saw it, as though she was afraid of it. And she wouldn't actually play with it -- she would just pick it up and move it into another room, like she was trying to keep it away from her. We finally got rid of the snake because it seemed to bother her so much.

Lene 3 years, 11 months ago

Rae Hudspeth 3 years, 11 months ago

The hubs thinks it's funny that our shelter cat runs, yes RUNS across the yard to me when I call him. He also taunts the next door dogs at the fence so he can reach through and bop them on the head, whapwhapwhap!

overthemoon 3 years, 11 months ago

My cat wakes up from time to time. Oddest thing you'll ever see.

riverdrifter 3 years, 11 months ago

My lab hangs out with the neighborhood foxes. They keep a short distance but it is no doubt "hanging out."

kernal 3 years, 11 months ago

... if the wind doesn't blow right, he barks. Chihuahua named Tom Shewmon?

Liberty275 3 years, 11 months ago

I have an oscar that rearranges his tank and bites my hand if I reach in to put things back where I want them.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

I used to know a cat that was a world-class bug hunter except for dragon flies. They freaked her out big time.

alm77 3 years, 11 months ago

I used to have a cat and if anyone stood in front of her with their arms crossed she would leap (not a running leap either) right into their crossed arms and wrap her paws around their neck. She surprised so many visitors!

My dog doesn't like skirts. She barks and growls anytime anyone wears one.

whats_going_on 3 years, 11 months ago

awwwww I would love it if my cat did that

notajayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

I'd imagine the problem arises when the surprised visitor uncrosses their arms.

And the cat hangs on.

notajayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

I have one cat that (before she got too fat) used to chase her tail. Not that unusual, perhaps - but she did it in the vertical plane, not the horizontal. We'd be sitting there watching TV and she'd go rolling by like a donut. Pretty amusing.

Another of our felines is bulimic. Not as amusing. He pigs out like he hasn't eaten in weeks, walks into a wide open space, and purges. He was my wife's cat, which probably explains a lot.

whats_going_on 3 years, 11 months ago

Some of these stories are hilarious

My lab mix is very odd. Scared of everything, even the tiny little grill on the back porch, he won't go outside unless I literally shove him out of the door. He will also chase his tail until he gets so dizzy he falls over, catches bugs in the air, and (this is going to sound dirty) but if you're just standing there, he'll push his way through your legs and then just stand there staring up at your face. If you walk away, he'll just walk with you between your legs. I can't even name all of the weird stuff that he does, very strange.

3 years, 11 months ago

I had a foster dog once that would bark at the TV, but only if there were other animals on OR a steak commercial. Yes I had to change the channel if a Longhorn Steakhouse commercial came on. He continued to do this after he moved to his forever home, sadly he passed away this year.

coolmarv 3 years, 11 months ago

I think we have a winner.

Lene (anonymous) says… My rottweiler mix doesn't walk forward through doors in the house, she backs through them. Once through the door, she turns around and goes about her merry way.