Previous   Next

Who is the scariest monster?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 8, 2010

Browse the archives

“The Flying Monkeys in ‘The Wizard of Oz’ because I was a little kid and they came flying out there … and they were in Kansas.”

“Freddy Krueger because one hand is a claw and the other one is just a hand.”

“It’s the monster under your bed you can’t really see at night that kind of grabs at your feet.”

“The Boogey Man … in the closet.”

Comments

overplayedhistory 3 years, 6 months ago

Koch brothers Lloyd Blankfein Dick Cheney Rupert murdoch John Boehner Sara Eric Cantor Mitch Mcconnell Dick Army (no one with such a name could be anything but) Robert Rubin Lawrence Summers Rahm Emanuel Glen Beck I like to get a Rush L Got more but got to go.

Christine Anderson 3 years, 6 months ago

Pendragons, I agree completely! For me, the most scary monster is my second ex-husband.

Armored_One 3 years, 6 months ago

Freddy, Jason, Michael, the Tall Man, Anthony Perkins, the thought of PeeWee Herman reproducing, and last, but not least...

the mystery meat from high school lunches...

riverdrifter 3 years, 6 months ago

Thet thing that H. P. Lovecraft came up with in the Dunwich Horror. Both the book and the movie creeped me out and nothing creeps me out. Nothing. Got a weird image from a trail camera stationed deep in the woods that I don't know what the hell it is though.

RoeDapple 3 years, 6 months ago

lew prekins is my exwifes brothers grilfrens cuzin twice remooved an yuo all dont know whut yer talkin bout an he dont even got no escort but he is missin sum eksersizin ekwipment that he stored in his couch but hes a nise guy an he dont know inybody frum tupeeka an thats all im gonna say boutit

Pywacket 3 years, 6 months ago

When I was a kid, I was scared witless by the 1925 Phantom of the Opera. Lon Chaney Jr was the most terrifying phantom ever. The winged monkeys and the figures in the House of Wax were very high on my Scare-O-Meter as well.

Practicality 3 years, 6 months ago

Or Lew Perkins driving a Ford Escort full of Topekans around Hobbs Park.

g_rock 3 years, 6 months ago

I thought you all might want an update....

my e-mail works......ex-loveofmylife is communicating......we shall see.

And I still have on my cute dress.

Thanks for the entertainment and occupying my brain today. I needed it lots.

sigh

jackbinkelman 3 years, 6 months ago

The Trilogy of Terror Devil Doll. Watch that crack under the bathroom door.. ooooooh..

Deja Coffin 3 years, 6 months ago

What is everyone's favorite so bad but yet so good horror movie? Mine is definitely Dr. Giggles

prospector 3 years, 6 months ago

The PC Police

Damn Nanny State!

couranna1 3 years, 6 months ago

George Bush take your pick which total moron you want

zikzak 3 years, 6 months ago

Pennywise cause "they all float down here Billy boy" bwahahahahahaha pop.....

lithium45 3 years, 6 months ago

Mickey Rourke after his plastic surgery and Carrot Top on the roids with that black eye liner.

somedude20 3 years, 6 months ago

donatella versace looks ugly for a zombie

g_rock 3 years, 6 months ago

I was really scared of cement trucks as a yute because I saw a movie on TV where they put some people in one to kill them.....

autie 3 years, 6 months ago

did you look at the Charlie Daniels link...that was done properly, basement boy?

Gene Wallace 3 years, 6 months ago

Fred Phelps. Now that is a real monster!

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 6 months ago

"the Killer Klowns from Outer space..... "

That movie was horribly awesome.

JackFrost 3 years, 6 months ago

Back in the 70's, if you called time and temp, still 842-5115, sometimes the recorded voice would star yelling "Thunder Storms! Thunder Storms!" Now you have to listen to the scary U.S. Bank message before getting the time and temp. They need to update it to yell "Recession! Depression!"

oliveoyl 3 years, 6 months ago

As a kid the Imperial Walkers from The Empire Strikes Back used to creep me out for some reason. I used to have nightmares that they were chasing me.

The other one that would give me nightmares is Poltergeist. I hated that stupid clown, the tree, the ghost figures, the meat crawling on the counter and let's face it Robbie's teeth were scary as hell.

I still watch both of these movies every year!

JackFrost 3 years, 6 months ago

I had a Charlie McCarthy doll until about 10 years ago. I had propped it in a chair. I came home late one night and I swear that thing had found it's way into my bed. Into the dumpster, pronto.

JackFrost 3 years, 6 months ago

Has anyone mentioned Clowns? Clowns are scarier than hell. There is nothing funny about a clown. They are evil. How about that John Wayne Gacey? http://a0.vox.com/6a00c225234aa9549d00d41434c818685e-500pi

Deja Coffin 3 years, 6 months ago

The Mothman..... or Candyman.....or IT..... or the Killer Klowns from Outer space..... okay, I'm just a big baby so I guess anything given the right music and lighting will scare me. Oh and I still won't watch Paranormal Activity just for the fact that other people had nightmares from it.

JackFrost 3 years, 6 months ago

Ok, g_rock, I'll give it a shot. The following items can probably be found in Snooki's hair bun: -Used sex toys -Used toilet paper -Mayonaise -A pack of 2yo hot dogs -Used condoms -A crescent wrench -Ryan Seacrest -A tampon -Nail polish

I could go on, but let's just say that bun is a General Store.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 6 months ago

"Lady Gaga is pretty damn scary."

Good call. That chick is hideous.

rockchalk1977 3 years, 6 months ago

Anyone that voted for Barack Hussein Obama (aka Barry Soetoro).

prospector 3 years, 6 months ago

Lady Gaga is pretty damn scary.

scopi_guy 3 years, 6 months ago

Not a monster (I don't think), but in the mid 70s, whenever there was a storm watch or warning on Channel 13, they'd put up this white background with a picture of a storm on the horizon with the word "WEATHER" across it in big letters...and this mechanical voice would come in to describe what/where the storm was. For some reason, that would always scare me to death. I will never forget that. They did it a lot during the summer.

jehovah_bob 3 years, 6 months ago

“Freddy Krueger because one hand is a claw and the other one is just a hand.” — Gabriel Moreno

But if he had two claws everything would be okay.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 6 months ago

Upon further reflection, I withdraw my complaint. Describing the nine-fingered wingbat as racist and sexist probably is what got me bumped. Allisa ought to sit down and read through his comment history and she'll understand.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 6 months ago

Isaw The Monster of Piedras Blancas movie when I was about 12 & it terrified me for years.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 6 months ago

"Oh come on you all....step it up."

I'm trying. Judith keeps yanking all my posts. In the eight years or so I've been commenting on here I've had maybe a half a dozen posts yanked. Now that Lillian is in charge, every other post gets removed. It is no wonder the OTS dies pretty much after everyone has their second cup of coffee in the morning.

SLOPOKE 3 years, 6 months ago

1.) Dick Cheney 2.) DAD BUSH

lilygrace 3 years, 6 months ago

I am like Jack Frost and his closet. Whatever lurks in my dark bedroom closet is the scariest monster. I cannot go to sleep at night if the closet doors aren't shut. The doors can't be open even a crack. It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

Agnostick 3 years, 6 months ago

A more serious answer to the question...

I grew up in the '70s, when Saturday afternoons were chock full of old movies from the ''30s, '40s, and '50s. If it was too cold or too wet to go outside, and there was nothing else to do, the Saturday afternoon movies were a good, safe way to pass the time. It was here that I developed a deep appreciation for the old horror movies, especially the classics from Universal.

Lon Chaney, Jr. appeared as every one of the Universal monsters (Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, the Mummy) at least once, and was the only actor to hold that distinction. I've heard that his turns in the later "Mummy" sequels of the 1940s were the only halfway-decent thing in those movies.

Karloff, of course, was the king... and the original 1932 "The Mummy" is one of the best. While the whole movie is good, it's this scene I've linked to that has really stuck with me over the years. One of the best movie laughs every committed to film, in my humble opinion, because you can actually hear the poor fellow's sanity melt away in a matter of seconds. It still gives me the chills.

Turn the speakers up for this one--it's worth it.

garyr 3 years, 6 months ago

The Purple-Headed-Yogurt-Slinger!

heyheymama 3 years, 6 months ago

the flying monkeys for sure and ..... wait for IT..wait for IT the clown in steven king's "IT"

frankenstien 3 years, 6 months ago

Everyone knows it is Chuck Norris. Heck even the Boogey Man is scared of Chuck Norris!

Esq2eB 3 years, 6 months ago

Cornhuskers.

Signed,

THE KSU FOOTBALL TEAM.

whats_going_on 3 years, 6 months ago

could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the flying monkeys were not in Kansas?

Anyhow, my answer is Pennywise.

Mary Darst 3 years, 6 months ago

TOB you are right, It has gotten boring of late. Seems like some aren't writing as much. A lot of stuff removed.

prospector 3 years, 6 months ago

The empty Free State growler.

somedude20 3 years, 6 months ago

Rosie O'Donnell. those fat, stubby, greasy, little fingers scare the god out of me and don't get me started on her voice. When I was young and watched the "Exorcist" alone at 9 years of age, I did not sleep for nights. When I was a few years older and watched "Exit to Eden" (Dana Delany, whom I found very attractive is naked for most of the movie) and saw Rosie wearing s&m gear and almost naked, jessus, I wanted so badly to suffer a bad blow to the head so that I could wipe that image out of my head. Dana was smoking though.....

Kontum1972 3 years, 6 months ago

my x mother-in-law...and x wife...

and that thing on the city tower-cam

SpiritTat 3 years, 6 months ago

Sherbert ~ you rock funny

made my day

JackFrost 3 years, 6 months ago

“The Flying Monkeys in ‘The Wizard of Oz’ were totally terrifying. I would say whatever I thought was in the dark closet. To this day, I do not leave my closet doors open. Ever.

JackFrost 3 years, 6 months ago

"Monster's Ball" was a really good movie. The whole cast was great. Even Puff Daddy, or Poopy, or whatever he calls himself now. I really miss Heath Ledger...

JackFrost 3 years, 6 months ago

Damn you, Roe! You stole my answer. Now I have to think of something else. I guess it was the mailman who lived down the street. Every so often he would tell me I could have the quarters in his his pocket if I reached in there. I never fell for it, though.

g_rock 3 years, 6 months ago

Actually, any squidgy sea creatures. Good thing I live in Kansas, huh?

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 6 months ago

The LJW OTS is wilting away. Are you freaking serious, Leslie? If JK was still alive, this place would be thriving again.

autie 3 years, 6 months ago

hey, do they put pictures of missing transvestites on cartons of Half and Half?

autie 3 years, 6 months ago

Hmmm...very interesting. Is there a new secret filter now or am I just behind the times as usual.

emaw 3 years, 6 months ago

The freeloaders that are taking over our society!

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 6 months ago

asbury 3 years, 6 months ago

Cookie (Monster) of course!!

jonas_opines 3 years, 6 months ago

I was wondering how long it would take this one to go political. Three posts.

y'all's slippin'

Gandalf 3 years, 6 months ago

My daughter says clown's! My grandson is terrified by the Morloks in the original time machine. My own vote for all time scariest moster is the invisible being outlined in blaster fire in Forbidden planet.

demonfury 3 years, 6 months ago

President Obama is by far the scariest monster I can think of. He will have destroyed more in 4 years than anyone would have imagined. He is truly the devil in disguise.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 6 months ago

The mindless minions of the current regime.

autie 3 years, 6 months ago

Hey Bruce: "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore". egghead

Roland Gunslinger 3 years, 6 months ago

That's not a monster Evan- just some dude with a foot fetish.

grammaddy 3 years, 6 months ago

Rupert Murdoch and his band of Zombies at Faux Noise.