Previous   Next

Have you turned on your heat yet?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 6, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes, it was cold at night.”

“No … I usually want the air conditioning running because I usually run pretty hot.”

“No, I have not. It’s still too warm out for me.”

“No, we don’t usually turn it on until about Christmas.”

Comments

CreatureComforts 3 years, 6 months ago

87 degree today? Air con is back on!

TopJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Lots of ways to heat the house this time of yr without using fossil fuels. Besides, when you are as old as I am, using fossil fuels feels a little like cannibalism. Just throw another blanket on the bed, go down and walk a picket-line of protest at Walmart, and you will be good to go. Or, pay your $75.00 fee, and start a fire.

Roland Gunslinger 3 years, 6 months ago

I saw the panel to our furnace was off today (this panel gives access to the pilot light) so I said to the wife "Why is this panel off?"

She says something to the effect that she took it off because she was going to turn the furnace on this morning but couldn't get the pilot light lit.

I then told her "I'll turn the furnace on... you just leave it alone" to which she replied "Oh, don't worry about it now. It's plenty warm now." Me: "No, you don't understand. I'll turn the furnace on when I say it's time to turn the furnace on."

End scene.

TinkyWinky 3 years, 6 months ago

Eh oh Carbon users,

This year I'm shifting from heating oil to coal. I found a large pile of it adjacent to the railroad tracks. Wow that stuff heats up the wood furnace. It smells nice too.

independant1 3 years, 6 months ago

note to self,

get 2 cords firewood

Scott Morgan 3 years, 6 months ago

Get up, put sweatshirt on, hit the Sun Twins heater switch, Mz Mo wakes up to warm an toasty boudoir, rest of home nice and cold.

Haven't used the furnace in 3 years. Wood + Sun Twin, but last Winter was a bugger.

notanoobhere 3 years, 6 months ago

I dont need no furnace crap just skin me up some animals and wear them hides, or burn my old used oil from ma truck on a old tire and that'll keep me nice and warm like.

somedude20 3 years, 6 months ago

I have a heart meal of beans then break wind (was going to say fart but I bet that will get my post removed) into a storage container that locks my "wind" in and then open it whenever my place gets cold.

meat and beans, warm hippie homes and farts live unprecedented

Flap Doodle 3 years, 6 months ago

In other alarming news: “Forecasters say this winter could be the coldest Europe has seen in the last 1,000 years. The change is reportedly connected with the speed of the Gulf Stream, which has shrunk in half in just the last couple of years. Polish scientists say that it means the stream will not be able to compensate for the cold from the Arctic winds. According to them, when the stream is completely stopped, a new Ice Age will begin in Europe…” http://rt.com/prime-time/2010-10-04/coldest-winter-emergency-measures.html (a grain of salt should accompany the above text)

whats_going_on 3 years, 6 months ago

A couple of times just overnight when it got down below 40. I hate trying to get ready in the morning when it's freezing.

Practicality 3 years, 6 months ago

I refuse to watch the Heat ever since the Lebron James soap opera.

statesman 3 years, 6 months ago

As a retiree of Westar and my partner is a retiree of Kansas Gas Service, we constantly have something on, either heat or airconditioning. The windows in our house are sealed and we need one or the other running constantly. But the benefits of being retired utility company management pretty much eliminate any utility bills for us.

beatrice 3 years, 6 months ago

I believe yesterday was the first day we have had under 100 here in Phoenix. So, um, no, we haven't turned on the heat yet.

riverdrifter 3 years, 6 months ago

Not yet. I suppose I should go pick up a couple tons of pellet fuel. I wanted to burn corn but it's too pricey. Good for the farmers, bad for heating.

nobody1793 3 years, 6 months ago

Not yet. I put some uranium rods in the fireplace, but I can't get them suckers lit.

Ricky_Vaughn 3 years, 6 months ago

Yes, my wife's a wuss when it comes to the cold.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 6 months ago

Christmas is a bit extreme, but then again I don't drive an glorified electric golf cart with doors, like Cordelia, nor do I ride goats. The house rule at the Ignacio's, is no heat till Thanksgiving, but we do heat the bathing water after the autumnal equinox.
Yes, I did say autumnal equinox, because the world is biased towards the northern hemisphere and thats the way it shall remain. None of this PC crapola, calling it the September equinox, no, not here, damn namby-pamby communist types.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 6 months ago

"I'm very stingy with electricity and propane" Tom

Damn hippie.

I just throw a few of Snap's Sundries and Supply Store's lemur pelts in my britches to stay warm. One time, Snap shipped a live lemur with the pelts. Oh, I'll get even, Snap. I'll get even. You ever had a mad lemur in your pants with the skin of his relatives and friends? Not a pretty sight.

Pywacket 3 years, 6 months ago

No way! Open draperies and shades during the day allows the sun to heat things up and the house retains the heat very well. By morning, after some of the coldest nights, it has been in the mid-60s, no lower. Hubby put the down comforter on the bed the other night--that thing signifies the changing seasons for us.

We love these rare opportunities to save when neither heating nor cooling energy is needed.

dogsandcats 3 years, 6 months ago

Just for a short while the other night, and I only turned it up to 68 at that. Just enough to get the chill out. Now it's off again and I slept with the windows open last night.

autie 3 years, 6 months ago

I won't turn the heat on until after Nov. 2. Then enjoy it while it last. Cause if ole Brokeback get elected, come this time two years from now I will probably be living in the bunker. Mt. Oread will only be a place for the children of the elite cadre, learning about how some deity created everything in six or seven days. The skies of western Kansas will be eternally cloudly all day (with a light moderate breeze from the southwest). Property taxes will skyrocket to record levels and ignorance will abide throughout the land. The "Family" will bring security and rightousness to the land and in his name we will all be expected to serve.

CWGOKU 3 years, 6 months ago

Heck no. Still wearing shorts. Some windows still open. Give'em the heater Ricky...

prospector 3 years, 6 months ago

I open the curtains to let the radiant heat in each morning for I am not into the instant gratification on this. I do look forward to the smell of the cobweb burning off the gas jets.

Andini 3 years, 6 months ago

My wife doesn't like it when I turn my heat on.

consumer1 3 years, 6 months ago

You granolas had better not turned on your heat yet!! Just cover up with a wool throw or blanket. Or, wear a sweater (hand knitted of course).

Kirk Larson 3 years, 6 months ago

Shoot, I still have my windows open!

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 6 months ago

Yes, but using the day's heat and keeping the house open when it warms up, then closing up around 6 pm, you can almost get through the night without the furnace kicking on, which I ALWAYS keep at 68 degrees, no matter who in the house is whining......I tell them, "Here's an idea, throw on some heavier clothes". I'm very stingy with electricity and propane. Leaving a room with the light on drives me insane.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 6 months ago

I have turned on the heat ... in my trousers.

Kontum1972 3 years, 6 months ago

NO...i have a box of strike anywhere matches.....and a big pot of Ho' made chili.....

JackFrost 3 years, 6 months ago

Nope. I still have my shirt off. Oh, and will the sky be blue again today? I wonder if Phil knows that when he takes the disks out of his ears he's gonna have huge, gaping pigmy holes.

“No … I usually want the air conditioning running because I usually run pretty hot.”

Well I'm hot blooded, check it and see I got a fever of a hundred and three Come on baby, do you do more than dance? I'm hot blooded, I'm hot blooded

scopi_guy 3 years, 6 months ago

Me too, just to take the chill off.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 6 months ago

I have not even started wearing pants.

grammaddy 3 years, 6 months ago

Just once for about 10 minutes to take the chill off the house. It actually got to freezing the night before.