Previous   Next

What do you spend the most money on for Thanksgiving?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 W. Sixth St. on November 15, 2010

Browse the archives

“Food. The turkey.”

“The turkey.”

“Hands down, travel. This year we’re going to Iowa.”

Comments

Mary Darst 4 years, 1 month ago

how much fun is that!!!!! We did that last year at a friends.

Bill Lee 4 years, 1 month ago

The turkey. Even more when I decide to have it smoked.

Kash_Encarri 4 years, 1 month ago

Almost as bad as posting it on Facebook or tweeting it to your "followers".

whats_going_on 4 years, 1 month ago

I hate that. The "checking in" garbage is so ridiculously stupid.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 1 month ago

I bought a ham and got my turkey free at Hy-Vee so I will have to say the artichokes and the pies.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 1 month ago

Be a toss-up between ammo and contraceptive devices.

Outsidelookingin 4 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like quite the family get together?

feetup 4 years, 1 month ago

turkey is always on sale for 99lb or less, seems to me i spend more money on the stuff to make pies than anything else, except maybe the drinks! Fam doesn't want pies from a box, they want the home made pumpkin, chocolate, and blueberry pies. Wears me out!

satie 4 years, 1 month ago

ooooh, feetup! Sounds like Thanksgiving at your home is warm, homey and delicious! I get a locally raised turkey from the Merc. Without a doubt, it is my most expensive item. But for the taste and juicy goodness, it's worth it! Thank you, Mr. Turkey.

Kash_Encarri 4 years, 1 month ago

Too funny autie. Thank you for that one.

oldvet 4 years, 1 month ago

Just lather that bird up with your favorite sauce before you take it out of the smoker... they'll enjoy the bbq!

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

Yup, turkey and ham for thanksgiving, but for the last 15 or so years we've made lasagna the Christmas tradition.

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

Ummm, smoked turkey! Glazed eyes, a big smile and feathers in our teeth.

grammaddy 4 years, 1 month ago

The meal. Grandma's house is always Ground Zero for the holidays. It looks like the United Nations when all the clan gets here.This year I'm dragging all the womenfolk into the kitchen.This year they're going to learn how it's done so that next year I can just supervise and play Wii with the grandkids.Or someone else can do this at their house.

Kontum1972 4 years, 1 month ago

mortar rounds and fish-heads...and pop!

Kash_Encarri 4 years, 1 month ago

You're probably one of those people that thinks Buffalo Bob's is good BBQ.

whats_going_on 4 years, 1 month ago

I don't know about the BBQ, but the apple fritters are delicious.

oldvet 4 years, 1 month ago

the wine I serve with dinner will cost more than the turkey and all the other stuff combined... you serve the best on these occassions...

pace 4 years, 1 month ago

If I find turkeys at less than 45 cents a pound, then it will be turkeys. Maybe 4, maybe 5 then I begin, I will begin the great turkey winter. I will roast the first turkey, debone the meat, Creating stock using bones and the secreted hoard of frozen vegetables. With each turkey I will make stock, stock takes a long time. I will use deboned turkey and stock I will make the dishes, yes, I make turkey soup, interesting soups, one with small little yams, another with egg noodles, another with water cress and slivers of almonds, yes turkey is a good ingredient in borscht.I turkey pot pie NY, curried Turkey w peas & onions , turkey salad, turkey hash, turkey chili with white beans, turkey and cranberry sandwiches, Turkey Tetrazzini Then it will be spring. if I don't find cheap turkey, I will use quail, little pieces of quail in canopied beds of puff pastry stuffed with shallots, mushrooms, capers, sauce,
And if I see duck go on sale, i will just go crazy, I will blast the duck at 450 stuffed with prunes, or gosh, duck is so friendly in so many cultures,. Maybe I will just spend the money and buy goose. a nice fat goose, saving and rendering the fat to use throughout the winter as the touch of class in many dishes.

Katara 4 years, 1 month ago

I can't tell if you are serious or not on your post but the curried turkey with peas & onions sounds mighty tasty. Would you share the recipe?

pace 4 years, 1 month ago

I am serious about cooking. I don't use recipes much, I will probably saute yellow onions, red and yellow bell peppers, a touch of ginger, Using the stock I will short cut by using Golden Curry medium, (I buy it at dillons) It is a box and inside it looks like a chocolate bar. adding it to stock,simmer, simmer, then cooking in the turkey and finally just add frozen sweet peas. then over a good rice. it is my version of fast food. Once you have turkey and stock, it only takes deciding direction. I use a lot of onions, lots of onions.