Previous   Next

What do you do in observance of Veterans Day?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 12, 2010

Browse the archives

““I just fly the flag.””

““I kind of remember them.””

““We would have done something, but we’re from out of town. We did see a parade in Manhattan.””

““I try to go to the parade and I watched the vice president and ceremony on TV. Other than that I just try to say hi and thanks to our servicemen.””

Comments

H_Lecter 3 years, 5 months ago

21 gun salute of course

F.S. F.A. HK416

whats_going_on 3 years, 5 months ago

I went to work, went home, worked out, did homework, and went to bed, as always. I thought of my grandpa, who served, and whom I think about quite a bit anyway.

Bless those that protect us.

HollisBrown 3 years, 5 months ago

The first hour of "Full Metal Jacket" is classic!!!

Kontum1972 3 years, 5 months ago

I RENTED FULL- "METAL JACKET"........then went hand grenade fishing in a pond....killed a bunch of crap then cooked up the heads and had them with rice.....topped it off with a Tiger beer....then i played the star-spangled banner on my Strat....HUWAH!

HollisBrown 3 years, 5 months ago

Oh, and let's clarify something here. If Anwar El Sadat was a terrorist, why did Muammar al-Gaddafi have him gunned down? Sadat was a man of peace. Not a pinko commie at all. I remember waking up the morning he was killed. Not too long before John Lennon. But hypocritical John definitley deserved it.

BornAgainAmerican 3 years, 5 months ago

My 82 year old Mother prepared a wonderful meal for my Father's 85th birthday which happens to fall on Veterans Day. All past and current pictures of familiy members in uniform were on display and we listened Dad's WW II stories.

HollisBrown 3 years, 5 months ago

Hollis Brown He lived on the outside of town Hollis Brown He lived on the outside of town With his wife and five children And his cabin brokin' down.

You looked for work and money And you walked a rugged mile You looked for work and money And you walked a rugged mile Your children are so hungry That they don't know how to smile

HollisBrown 3 years, 5 months ago

I wish I had me one of them Dunkard beards.

g_rock 3 years, 5 months ago

Brenda Baker: Can you remember to turn off the stove in twenty minutes? Samantha: I can remember lots of things.

HollisBrown 3 years, 5 months ago

Hey, KRichards, pick another name, 'cuz the real Keef would be ashamed of you. Blah, blah, I hate the police until I really need one. Have you ever had to hire a lawyer? I have, and it got me nowhere. I had to lay down $750 a couple years ago for a minor charge, and I would have been better off defending myself. The guy has a good reputation, but he didn't do dick-squat for me. Obviously, you're a wuss who's never been in trouble. Good luck, panty-waist.

Marsha Lee 3 years, 5 months ago

““I kind of remember them.”” — Erin Smith, Ph.D. student, Lawrence

What a brilliant answer, coming from a Ph.D. student!

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

Ah thpentit fightin' a het cole. Teh cole ith whinnin'. . Thanks again to all Veterans!

CWGOKU 3 years, 5 months ago

I watch the first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan and thank God that I was not on Omaha Beach that morning. I thanked all the Vets I know and flew the flag. I watch Saving Private Ryan alot, great movie.
I was going to slap the lawyer who lives across the street, but he did not walk his dog yesterday.
Took the day off today to go get some early Christmas shopping done. Great day out there, I like this weather. Gonna come home later and make chili and get ready for the KU game. Longwood... great name. May get that as a personal license plate. Wishful thinking.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 5 months ago

Good day for chicken soup.

Off to the coop.

somedude20 3 years, 5 months ago

““I kind of remember them.”” — Erin Smith, Ph.D. student, Lawrence

Gee thanks.

autie 3 years, 5 months ago

it sure is wet out there.......gettin wetter too.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 5 months ago

"How do you go about identifying veterans who are not in fatigues? I am sure I would have thanked one, but I would have to ask each person first."

All the old guys wear their hats with whatever ship they were on or division they were in. Also, I was out at the legends which is sort of close to Ft. Leavenworth and there were a few guys in military attire.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 5 months ago

Flew the flag, thanked a few veteran's while I was out Christmas shopping, and slapped a couple lawyers.

g_rock 3 years, 5 months ago

Right now.....like at this moment....I'm playing Johnny Cash in my office in remembrance of one of my favorite vets that passed away this year.

Miss ya, Sarge.

autie 3 years, 5 months ago

first, I got up. Then I went downtown to look for a job. Then I hung out in front of the drug store.

not really. I went to work, came home, watched cash cab, ate supper, watched war stuff on TV and went to bed.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 5 months ago

"Guess being a terrorist is why Begin & Anwar Sadat were awarded the Nobel Peace price in the late '70's or early 80's."- kernal

Don't forget the other terrorists awarded the Nobel Peace Prize; Yasser Arafat, Mairead Corrigan, Al Gore and Barack Obama.

flux 3 years, 5 months ago

Veterens day is the day all the veterens go to work while all state and bank employees have the day off.... makes a lot of sense

kernal 3 years, 5 months ago

HollisBrown 3 years, 5 months ago

I fly my underwear. Hey, where's Mr. KU Law today? Isn't he always first? Maybe he stayed up all night in a major conflict about what he's actually doing with his life. Lawyers are truly horrible people. As for the question, I just give my dad a big kiss. He fought for Great Britain in WWII. He was a paratrooper, and he got the privilege of sightseeeing in Africa and Italy. That lasted for 4 years. Then when he thought he was done, he got sent back to Israel to try and get rid of Menachem Begin and his terrorist rats. Because he is a decent man, he made friends with many of the Nazis that his troop captured. I guess when it's man to man, you realize you're just doing the dirty work of governemnts. Anyway , I'm just proud the he is from the Greatest Generation, and he is the man I admire most.

grammaddy 3 years, 5 months ago

We have a BIG family dinner to honor all the vets in the family. Afterwards we sit around a listen to their stories.The younger ones always love to hear about how Grandma was almost drafted to go to Viet Nam.

James Sneegas 3 years, 5 months ago

I went to breakfast at HyVee and dinner at Applebee's. Thanks to all the people who took the time to remember us.....................

labmonkey 3 years, 5 months ago

Why just remember them on 11/11?