Previous   Next

Do you have a veteran in your family?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 11, 2010

Browse the archives

“Not anymore. My dad was, in the Korean War.”

“Absolutely. My dad was in the Korean War.”

“Yes, my dad. He served in the Air Force at the beginning of the Vietnam era.”

“I did. My dad was in the Army in World War II, and he was a prisoner in France.”

Comments

bkreed1960 4 years, 1 month ago

Both of my nephews are veterans of the current war taking place in Iraq.

Bill Lee 4 years, 1 month ago

My family has served since before this was a country. I was in the army; my brother was in the navy and my sister was married to a guy in the air force. A stepson was in the air force, but no one is currently in uniform. As far as I can recall, none died in combat. Hug a vet today, and say "thanks."

usnsnp 4 years, 1 month ago

yes. My wife navy, I was in the navy, my father navy, my wifes father coast guard, my uncle army, my cousin army air force, my nephew navy, my wifes nephew air force etc.

grammaddy 4 years, 1 month ago

Many. My Grandfather,Father and Uncle served in Korea, A brother made the ultimate sacrifice in Viet Nam and I have a few neices and nephews serving now. They will ALL be honored at a big family dinner this evening.A big "Thank you!" to all our vets.

lionheart72661 4 years, 1 month ago

My dad, 2 brothers - in -law, cousins, a nephew and myself.

number3of5 4 years, 1 month ago

All f the men in our family, dad (deceased), my two living brothers, one deceased brother (decapitated in Vietnam),my husband, and many nephews served in different branches of the military. But since the draft has not been in effect none of my childen or grandchildren have chosen to serve. Just so there are not a lot of outrage at this, just remember it is their choice.

Brandon Devlin 4 years, 1 month ago

My paternal Grandfather and Great-Grandfather, my Dad, my Uncle, my Father-in-law, both of my brothers-in-law, and myself. "Thank you" to all of my fellow veterans.

denak 4 years, 1 month ago

Yes, me. Marine Corps

My sister, Army retired now.

And my brother in law who just retired with 40 years of service. He has been in every major engagement since the Vietnam War.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 1 month ago

His uncle was shot down in 'Nam four times. Well, the true story was there was a court order because of a lawsuit filed by a NVA attorney claiming that his 'copter was in violation of noise ordinances, followed by 438 wrongful death suits, so his 'copter was repossessed... he's still mad about that.

nobody1793 4 years, 1 month ago

I bet he/she is not even a lawyer. Have you EVER seen a lawyer give a one-word answer to ANYTHING?

irvan moore 4 years, 1 month ago

my dad, (deceased), my father in law and me.

fan4kufootball 4 years, 1 month ago

My Dad served in the Marines during the Vietnam War. Since has battled non-hodgkin's lymphoma twice - agent orange?

Thanks to all the veterans - we are humbled with your dedication and sacrifice.

Liberty275 4 years, 1 month ago

Every male in my family since at least my father is a veteran. I don't know anything about my family prior to that. Any male that doesn't defend his country should be ashamed to live there.

Liberty275 4 years, 1 month ago

You don't really need to be tough to be in the military, just willing to do what is needed. Now go back under you rock where you belong.

ashamedofyou 4 years, 1 month ago

A direct line all the way back to the civil war (and probably before, I just don't know those off the top of my head). My husband, Grandfathers, 3x Great uncles, Father in law, 2 brother in laws and many, many, many friends....a very special THANK YOU!

Rae Hudspeth 4 years, 1 month ago

My father, my uncles, grandfather and more on both sides of the Atlantic, including a great-aunt who was in the RAF ambulance corps in WWII.

notajayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

I have my grandmother's six-star flag from WWII, since my father and all five of his older brothers were in that one (five in the Navy, one in the Army). My Dad's the only one left, he was in HS when he went off to the Pacific at age 16.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 1 month ago

My husband is a Marine, my brother inlaw was in the Army Reserves until he passed away, I had three grandpa's serve (one was in the Navy, two were in the Army), numerous ucles have served, along with many of my cousins. I also have a cousin who is currently overseas in the Marines. I have such great respect and appreciation towards all the men and women that have, will, or are currently serving and I try to thank a veteran whenever I meet one. Thank you!!

redwombat 4 years, 1 month ago

My Dad, my uncle, my grandfather and my great uncle. My great uncle served 44 months in a Prisoner of War camp in Guam. He was captured on December 8, 1941. Spent the rest of the war stealing from his captors, hiding rations, pilfering medicine to save the lives of his fellow soldiers. He once found a can of condensed milk and hid it between his legs behind his hooo-haa and walked the miles back to camp from the labor fields. Gave it to the guys in the infirmary. Carried the scars from it the rest of his life. I remember Richard Salisbury today.

jd 4 years, 1 month ago

My father was in the Army and served in combat in WWII, Korea and Viet Nam. He was an Atomic soldier in the 50s where he witnessed 2 bomb tests from a trench and then marched on to ground zero. His final service was in 1968 West Germany during the cold war where he retired.

He's almost 90 and battling Alzheimer's now. He and my mom were married almost 64 years.

Ceallach 4 years, 1 month ago

My father served in the South Pacific during WWII. They had just been issued winter uniforms, as preparation for invading Japan, when the bombs were dropped.

Both of my brothers served in the USMC, one in Viet Nam.

I always called my Dad on Veteran's Day. He died several years ago but I still think of him on this day . . . Happy Veteran's Day, Dad!!

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

We've got Army, Navy & Marines and had one consciencious objector.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Every generation dating back to the 1770's. Wouldn't take me as I turned eighteen thirty-two days after Saigon fell. Remember, they had two milliion in uniform from the draft, and no money as Congress had slashed the military budget. They could not afford to even pay the guys they already had. Honestly though, at the time I was scared to death, and was thrilled when they told me I was not needed.