Previous   Next

Have you ever had to perform CPR?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 9, 2010

Browse the archives

“I have not.”

“No.”

“No.”

“No.”

Comments

Sheryl Wiggins 4 years, 1 month ago

@Jesse--that made me spit Mtn Dew all over my laptop. Thanks,

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

Ha! When I was driving trucks and asked while in CPR training what my response would be if a coworker was choking? "Call the supervisor"

nobody1793 4 years, 1 month ago

Lawyers are indeed horrible, but certainly not people.

kansasfire911 4 years, 1 month ago

I have several times, only because its in my job description. If you do CPR, its just compresions at a rate of 100 a minute stop to check a pulse should only take 10 secs. then continue with compresions. You don't have to do mouth to mouth anymore. Tell someone to call 911. This is the new American Heart Assocation standard.

Chrissy Neibarger 4 years, 1 month ago

I have heard this before. Do you know why they decided to stop the mouth to mouth? (not trying to be weird here), i'm just curious because it would seem like one would need oxygen to survive and what good would pumping a heart be if it's not bringing oxygen to the rest of the body?

mcmandy 4 years, 1 month ago

There will already be oxygen in the blood/lungs. Pump whats already there before adding more to it!

kansasfire911 4 years, 1 month ago

Because you are bring oxygenated blood through the heart. Also you have to keep the heart "primed" for when the AED is apllied to deliver a shock. Once you stop for more than 10 secs. you are pretty much starting over. Our success rate has actually gone up with method.

somedude20 4 years, 1 month ago

I tried to use the CPR defense when they brought me up on charges of groping Betty Whites breasts but it did not work and they made me grope Ernest Borgnine's breasts. My hand still smells!

FiremanChris 4 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, the cardiac muscles have to re-polarize before the shock from an AED/debrillator will work. I read once it takes 10-15 good compressions before blood pressure is detectable, so if you do 30 compressions, stop and give breaths, and go back to compressions, you are wasting about half of your compressions just getting the blood circulating again.

This is a good, but slightly NSFW refresher on CPR. Entertaining if nothing else: http://supersexycpr.com/

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 1 month ago

Yes. Once found an idiot unconcious, not breating, cold, and turning blue. It was due to a combination of painkillers and alcohol. I have never had any training, so I did what I had seen on TV, which is chest compressions. Called 911 ASAP of course, and her advice was: chest compressions.

It seemed to take forever for the firemen and ambulance to arrive. Later I was told that he was so far gone that if I had not started chest compressions when I did, he would have been dead for sure within five minutes.

Was that enough to get him to stop drinking while using painkillers? No.