Previous   Next

What kind of natural remedies do you use to stay healthy in the winter?

Asked at Community Mercantile, 901 Iowa on November 8, 2010

Browse the archives

“A Japanese friend just told me about slicing an onion in half and placing it around, and I guess it absorbs a lot of germs.”

“One of the things I really like is Airborne. It’s got vitamin C, it’s got echinacea, it’s got all these different things, and I swear it has actually kept me healthy numerous times.”

“If exercise counts as natural, then yes.”

Related story

Comments

Stuart Evans 3 years, 5 months ago

I've got an old herbal remedy that my pappy brought back from Vietnam. applied liberally throughout the evening and all is well with the world.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 5 months ago

Stick to pure grain alcohol and rain water for all your beverage needs.

Julie Craig 3 years, 5 months ago

Get enough sleep, eat vegetable and fruit, and drink lots of water.

geekyhost 3 years, 5 months ago

I save my money by not spending it on quack cures, and then I can afford the copay if I actually do get sick.

g_rock 3 years, 5 months ago

My right eyeball hurts today. It may be the result of a Ben, Jerry and Jim hangover from the weekend. My natural remedy may be a dull spork in the eye soon. Thanks for asking though.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 5 months ago

Remember to wash your hands before and after.

MarshmallowsFTW 3 years, 5 months ago

I just wash my hands quite a bit (i'm in food service, so lots and lots of times a day) and I don't seem to get sick. I also eat lots of fruits, veggies, and meat.

somedude20 3 years, 5 months ago

I have been drinking tea from the House of Cha for the last few winters and it seems like I have been sick less than when not drinking their tea. Since I work in the medical field, I am exposed more than a few gems and viruses and the tea seems to keep me from being sick more often (or it could be the gallon of vodka that I drink every night too)

g_rock 3 years, 5 months ago

Also, I feel better if my coworkers are sick too...share the love.

kernal 3 years, 5 months ago

Lots of water, good veggies and fruit, adequate sleep and wash my hands when I get home from the grocery store or any where else where goof balls wipe their noses with their hands then push their carts, doors, etc. Get some couth, fools, you're not three years old anymore.

whats_going_on 3 years, 5 months ago

also, if you go to a gym (well, anywhere really) use those handy clorox wipes or cleaner before and after each machine you use, including weights, dumbbells, and mats.

equalaccessprivacy 3 years, 5 months ago

Great question! I keep a supply of echinancea and generic Airborne or Emergen -C handy. Zinc can help.

BABBOY 3 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, I agree working out is important too. I work out home now which helps.

BABBOY 3 years, 5 months ago

Vit C.

Flax Oil.

Lots of Proteins to get my Aminos contstantly high

V-8 juice

Wash hands and plenty sleep and staying the heck out of Wal-mart

HollisBrown 3 years, 5 months ago

I see The Union has an opening for CUSTODIAL WORKER (Cleans Women's Restrooms While Occupied) again. I got that job last time but then I got canned for doing something I can't talk about here.

CWGOKU 3 years, 5 months ago

Exercise. The wife and I wrestle alot in the Winter and we seldom get sick.

HollisBrown 3 years, 5 months ago

Perfect question for the Merc. I was actually the 4th person asked but I was so drunk I couldn't stand up for the pic. I had just come out of the liquor store next door. See, Everclear 190 proof will kill anything. I had a bad case of smallpox and anthrax last year and that juice wiped it right out. Just wait a while before you fire up a cig, though, or you'll be champing at the bit.

HollisBrown 3 years, 5 months ago

And the Raiders won, too! Chubs actually made a couple crucial field goals.

autie 3 years, 5 months ago

At least the Chowboys losted also so that took some of the edge off this morning..

prospector 3 years, 5 months ago

Free State beer keeps me fit and healthy. I am stronger and better looking after each one.

g_rock 3 years, 5 months ago

The 4th respondent to today's OTS is out sick with a cold. Please tune in tomorrow for a full panel of OTS. Thank you for your patience.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 5 months ago

Whew. I'm glad Autie is ok. He was having a meltdown last night on the Facebook. I think to much scotch was involved.

autie 3 years, 5 months ago

good Scotch Whiskey....wash your hands in it, drink it...whatever. It kills germs. It makes you warmer. It makes you not care about how cold it is. It makes the dreary days of winter, bright and sunny.

davidsmom 3 years, 5 months ago

Frequent hand-washing, healthful diet and vigorous exercise 5-6 days per week.

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

dubble shot of Wild Turkey ever morning. cuzin lucille did an lived to 103. didnt even need to pickle her. ciggeretts finaly got cuzin imelda at 94 though. yep she was hitchin down to the 7-11 to git a pak of lucky strikes an a truk runned her over. stil cant talk boutit