Previous   Next

When was the last time you used a public library?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 4, 2010

Browse the archives

“Maybe a month ago. I have a really overdue book.”

“I’ve used it in the last week or two.”

“Sometime within the last year.”

“Probably two weeks ago to get audio books.”

Comments

Bill Lee 7 years ago

Last month. I should go more often than I do.

RoeDapple 7 years ago

30+ years? . . . maybe longer . . I buy or borrow most of the books I read, however I have donated books to the library in the past for their annual fund raising sale.

Richard Heckler 7 years ago

Monday November 1,2010 was the most recent visit.

Will likely be there at least one more time this week.

LogicMan 7 years ago

Back on the home planet, I think maybe a few thousand years ago when I was young.

But due to our evolution to what you are calling your digital age, libraries became obsolete and quickly were changed into daycare centers and homeless shelters.

pace 7 years ago

I hope libraries have books, computers and support from the community. I hope working families have books, computers and the respect they deserve from the community. I hope people who think kids going to a library somehow demeans the library is seeking help. There are many professionals and clergy that can counsel persons who associate children going to the library as something bad to return to reasonable thought patterns.

Maddy Griffin 7 years ago

I try to take the grands once a week to return their books and get new ones. They love it! Can't wait to see what the new improved library will look like.

monkey_c 7 years ago

I have a recipe for carp balls and chowder. But, I'm immature and I haven't tried it because the name "carp ball and chowder" makes me laugh, then I go onto other stuff...like crappie.

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

Depends on how you define "used".

rcjhmichael 7 years ago

Katy looks stylish. I wonder if there's anywhere I can see more outfits she likes to wear.

kernal 7 years ago

Tuesday. Lots of wasted space in there.

kernal 7 years ago

C'mon Wilbur, they'll make great bird perches (just don't look up), spiders can swing on a breeze.... There's all kinds of things useful for those thingys!

timeforachange 7 years ago

I've been in Lawrence 25 years, my wife has been here 20 years and niether one of us has ever stepped foot in the library. Other than an occassional field trip for school either have my two children. The Lawrence library simply doesn't offer me, or my family, any service. For the record, both my wife and I hold post graduate degrees so don't assume we are uneducated or unemployed. And we live in Old East Lawrence! I voted "NO' not because I don't use it, but because I thought it was a poor use of funds. Satelite libraries, better use of new technologies, and dumping a parking garage onto the proposal were all issues I had problems with.

pace 7 years ago

Since you or your wife have never set foot in the library, I would not credit your expertise with what services the library offers. I wonder how a satellite library, (which I think would be useful to most attentive parents and others) would be useful to you? I think it is sad that your kids will have to learn how to use the library by themselves. My parents took me, taught me how to behave in a library and the joys of just exploring the books. Books were important in my family, not just the books being offered in the current market or book stores but all types of books. I took my kids, taught them the reference desk was a resource not a place to pester people. I think taking the time to go with your kids to the library and teaching them manners as well as discussing with them the variety of ways to research and access information is my joy and my job. When learning and access to information is restricted to only those that can afford it delivered to the home, then this country is headed down, not up.

sherbert 7 years ago

I used to use it all the time, until the BO of all the homeless people sitting at all the tables ran me out. It was BAD.

kernal 7 years ago

I know. That's pretty sad. All public libraries allow the homeless to hang out for a while during bad weather as long as they don't cause any problems. I guess it's hard in the summer, when you can't get a daily shower and change of clothes, to not be smelly.

whats_going_on 7 years ago

yeah, to be honest the city still does not put a good impression upon the world, library or not.

whats_going_on 7 years ago

I don't think they'll let me rent books there anymore (if I wanted to) because I had a past due fee from about 15 years ago.

And I'm not kidding.

booyalab 7 years ago

"If more people put money into the system than taking it out" I think that already happens. It wouldn't work if A and B paid for benefits received by C - Z because as soon as A and B catch on and leave, no more funding. But what does work is for C and D to try to get money from A,B and E - Z by promising the ones who are funding it that they will be only taking money from A and B and that the rest will benefit. That way, if/when A and B leave, E-Z are still putting in money for C and D, who toss them a bone once in awhile but enjoy most of the money themselves.

booyalab 7 years ago

...and I'm not cynical, I just understand human nature. C and D want to make a living just like anyone, but they go about it in a way that others can't get away with in the private sector. Plus, they may have the best of intentions and therefore the approval of their consciences that they are doing it for the good of the community.

Stuart Evans 7 years ago

I once went in there to drop off a DHL package....

Bill Lee 7 years ago

Not all of my research needs are met online, so the library is a good source of info I need for my writings. My favorite library is in downtown Denver, CO. They have a truly awesome periodicals collection. I hate the drive so don't get out there as often as I used to. It helps that my favorite record store (Wax Trax) is only a few blocks away.

mytwocents 7 years ago

Ironically, I'm there (here) right now. The library rules!

Richard Payton 7 years ago

For $18M could offer everyone a free e-reader in Lawrence and be more environmental conscious. Makes a hippy want to sing put up a parking lot!

pizzapete 7 years ago

Just got back about 10 minutes ago, I go at least once a week, but did not support the 18 million expansion, way too much money.

Aiko 7 years ago

I was there last week looking through some Microfiche.

RoeDapple 7 years ago

heck she's all over the place! YAY!!

Deja Coffin 7 years ago

I'm actually a member of our libraries book club and Friends of the Library group that helps raise funds for the library. I love the library!!

PrettyTony 7 years ago

Used a public library yesterday.