Previous   Next

Do you prefer to watch election results as they roll in or wait until the following morning?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 3, 2010

Browse the archives

“Wait until morning. Then I don’t get my hopes up.”

“I wait until morning.”

“I wait until the morning. That way you avoid editorial spin. If you watch as they come in, it’s a case of getting more politics and political interpretation.”

“The next morning.”

Comments

Bill Lee 4 years, 9 months ago

I like watching the returns come in until I get bored with the pundits and the repetition. That's when I decide to bail and get the final numbers in the morning.

grammaddy 4 years, 9 months ago

I start off watching the returns on TV. Too many "projected winners" had me turning it off and waiting until this morning to see the final damages.

beatrice 4 years, 9 months ago

Watch as they come in. In a weird way, I like seeing the really stupid charts and computer graphics that the news people are obviously very excited to be using. My favorite (like watching a really good bad movie) was the tweet history tracker on CNN (I think it was CNN). It was about as exciting as clicking on a random comment from someone on these boards and just as relevant.

Belinda Rehmer 4 years, 9 months ago

I like to watch! I like the charts and the banter, but I don't like it when they announce the "Projected Winner" especially before 20% of the ballots in Douglas County are even in.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 9 months ago

A 'stay-at-home mom' in Eudora? Wow...refreshing. Thank You.

ChadDukes 4 years, 9 months ago

Did it bother anyone else that the LJWorld put "Kansas University" professor for John Gronbeck-Tedesco's occupation instead of "University of Kansas" professor? Maybe they just meant he is a professor at a university in the state of Kansas.

ChadDukes 4 years, 9 months ago

They also did it yesterday for John Colombo

wmathews 4 years, 9 months ago

Hi Chad, The LJWorld.com style is to use "Kansas University" over the "University of Kansas." You'll find us referring to it that way in every story mentioning KU, including things like Kansas University Hospital instead of the University of Kansas Hospital. As for why we do it, it's not only been our policy for decades, but it follows the school's initials on its letterhead, sports uniforms and official correspondence.

Whitney Mathews Online Editor

mr_right_wing 4 years, 9 months ago

According to stylebooks, it is supposed to match the abbreviations.

Kansas University (for KU), and University of Kentucky (for UK)

What about 'united kingdom' (you ask)?? I don't know! I don't write those stylebooks!!

ChadDukes 4 years, 9 months ago

Huh, that's interesting. I would have just thought the proper way would be to use the actual name. Just another reason why English is so hard to write properly.