Previous   Next

What are your Memorial Day holiday weekend plans?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on May 29, 2010

Browse the archives

“As long as the weather holds up, I plan on barbecuing Sunday with friends and Monday hit the lake.”

“I’m going to my son’s for a barbecue tonight and then I plan to go to Cassoday to decorate graves.”

“Cleaning up my house and waiting for my wife to come here … from Taiwan.”

“Just to be with family and friends and count our blessings … and getting wet in the kiddie pool.”

Comments

Deja Coffin 3 years, 10 months ago

I was hoping it was to go into labor early but someone else is the one that makes that decision and apparently they're pretty comfortable where they're at. Thank you to all the veterans and current soldiers for your service and dedication to this country. I appreciate you all.

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Damn. I knew D-Hop was dying but I didn't know he was gone. Another Kansas sunset. "Thin Man" sounds like a good distraction. Thanks for the info., misterlee.

Donnuts 3 years, 10 months ago

Tying my japanese script print bandana and red tiger striped bandana to hold my straw hat down. Sitting in a fold out lawn chair sippin' on a scissor. Hah.

Watching the cats go crazy off the fire escape with the grill next to me. Boy the sewer rats here in NYC stink. They are loud too.

Yawnmower 3 years, 10 months ago

Iamatworknow thenIwillleaveandeatburger runonsentenceforthewin

Bill Lee 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm going to watch all of the "Thin Man" movies. They'll make me laugh, and will help me forget that we've lost Dennis Hopper, a wonderful actor who was always proud of being a Kansan.

Jaylee 3 years, 10 months ago

Dang Gretchen, I didn't know you got wet!

Seriously though, my 2yo daughter and I are gonna get piss drunk and light all the leftover fireworks from last 4th!

dajudge 3 years, 10 months ago

I'll probably clean the maple trees growing in my rain gutters out. And, go to a wedding reception party. And stay away from the lakes and water parks. And walk my dogs in the unbearable heat.

Kathy Getto 3 years, 10 months ago

Rest a bit, garden, BBQ perhaps, trip to the cemetaries with Mom, and swim.

tange 3 years, 10 months ago

Hmm... tryin' to remember....

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Actaually, I'll probably be like Jackie Chan. Clean the house and stuff. He seems like a nice guy. I'm glad he goes to Hy-Vee.

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm on the way right now. Just downed a case of Coors, 5 more in the Camaro, along with all my cooking products. I've got my B.O.(sleeveless) shirt with the Confederate flag on the back, my cutoffs with the pockets hanging out of the bottom, and hippie sandals. I've got the pop-up hooked to the car, so I'm set. Out to the lake, set up camp, throw on some Skynard, Butt Company, Zepplin, the tunes that make me feel like a real man. Wife is cooking the food, I'm cookin' the meth. I plan on getting in a few fights and spending a lot of time in the lake. I just love getting in the lake. You never know what's in there. Cigarette butts, broken beer bottles, dead animals, and a lot of filthy, sweaty co-campers. And I always swim with my mouth open. I'll spend next week getting rid of bacterial infections. Gotta love these Lake weekends.

Donnuts 3 years, 10 months ago

I would like to take this opportunity to advertise my blog this morning called, "Rev. Garland Hall and the 9th Street Baptists".

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 10 months ago

Not even 9am, and sirens heading out to the highway. Everyone drive safe okay? No need to crowd up on these two lanes in KS. Plan a little extra time for surprise construction everywhere. ;)

Donnuts 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm not into BBQ dog. Ugh.... I love mine and the chihuahua wouldn't make much of a meal. A fryer at the store would have more meat on it. He is pretty cute too.

The flint hills would be good for my bow and arrow as well. I throw the boom in the park. Never had much open space that had short enough grass to find it. Football fields are great for it. You ought to try it. You can pick an easy one to throw for about $8. Keep your kids busy too for a while all alone. (tongue in cheek).

The cat story reminds me of Don whom I named my LJW id based on. As a roomie he not only stole art supplies and shirts out of my room but put the soup spoon for the crock pot in the kitty litter and decided it was time to use it as a kitty litter scoop. A week or so later he pulled a knife on me. Those southern baptists are something else.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 10 months ago

Why don't you bbq my dog and one of my cats while you're at it. I brushed the dog (again) last night, and decided he must be half baby harp seal, because he's got to have not just one undercoat that's coming out, but at least 4, and it's got that thickness to it, that reminds me of wet baby seals. And the cat threw up a furball which I was looking for when I went to turn down the ac, but of course can't see on this animal extrusion colored carpet so I half stepped in it before setting my foot down all the way. And we'll toss that in with his other extrusions that we had to build his own extrusion safe zone for, since he's too special to use the litter box for that type of extrusion. Then he wants to come sleep with me, and I said, "Sleep with me?!?!, I don't even want to know who you are." and guided him off the bed. The other cat was greatly amused.

Donnuts 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks Roe-Dapple? It is a saga officially or an aede as it might be said. I was once very literate before I was attacked for the second time by a southern baptist minister and his congregation. The first time I was 10 years old walking home from school. I didn't remember it and other things until after the second attack while I was in Topeka State Hospital.

My memorial day plans..... I would go throw a boomerang but I am sure there would be too many people around and I might hit one. I think I will stay in for this one. Fold some laundry.

Thanks Roe and Multi for all the nice comments. It helps my lagging self esteem and horrid impression of myself.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 10 months ago

Watching my Catalpa trees snow all over everything. Maybe go for a drive on a back road where the travelers aren't. Oh wait. I just waxed the car. Nix that.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

I dunaknow...nutin prolly. Go fishin and maybe barbque the neighbors dog.

Bill Lee 3 years, 10 months ago

Staying off the highways. Too many idiots on them this weekend. We're seeing accident reports already.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

First I will try a cocktail of battery acid and pond mud. That should be sufficient to burn the memory of trying to follow Donnuts latest blog from my mind. Jeez, it's like reading one of merrill's cut and pastes. . . backwards. And it must be a sequel or a prequel. I never did see the part about the lady and the pooch. Is that even legal? Maybe I'm still asleep, and soon I will wake up to realize it was just one of those strange dreams that seem so real until you are out of your sleep trance. I did have a 32 oz. Coors draft before retiring for the night. Been a long time since I shared one with Mr Coors.

Yeah, think I'll just go with that for now . . .

I'll be back later . . . when I wake up . . .