Previous   Next

Should athletics director Lew Perkins resign as a result of the KU ticket scandal?

Asked at Wayne and Larry’s Sports Bar, 933 Iowa on May 27, 2010

Browse the archives

“If he was aware of the situation when he took the job and did not make the effort to correct it, then he ought to look for work elsewhere.”

“Yes, he should. This and the Mangino fiasco kind of ices it for me.”

“Yes, because it’s something he should have been aware of as it was going on. I believe he should be held responsible in some way.”

“No, I think while he is ultimately responsible for everything that goes on in that department, I don’t think he knew anything about it and he’s taking the steps to correct it.”

Comments

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

Resign ? What kind of stupid question is that ? The ba$tard should be imprisoned.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 10 months ago

yankeevet 3 years, 10 months ago

One thing about this; is that he was well paid; for what he did or did not do.

pace 3 years, 10 months ago

Yes, he should. If he didn't care about ticket distribution when anyone who read the papers or went to games knew there was something rotten, then he isn't suited to the job.

4everahawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Don't understand why, when given the opportunity, the investigation didn't go a little deeper into the operation of athletics? Why wasn't their HR dept and the business office checked out? According to exhibits provided, their chief financial officer as well as another of his assoc. ADs signed off on those invoices to Tom Blubaugh and Lew wasn't aware Tom was receiving payment for at least the last 2 yrs? Reports of how much money he was bringing in and all the raises and bonuses he was receiving is disgusting, considering the reputation they have for not paying their bills in a timely fashion.

purplesage 3 years, 10 months ago

I don't know about resign but the whole crowd should take a pay cut.

davidsmom 3 years, 10 months ago

The story was in the Chronicle of Higher Education the past couple of days. There is a segment of folks in higher ed that believe big time athletics goes contrary to the mission of IHEs, and this story is the best evidence yet. And if it had happened at a small school whose athletics department has to be subsidized by the general fund, then the outcry would have been deafening. But instead the story got exactly one little comment. Considering that many stories in the Chronicle get dozens of comments, this is equivalent to "Ho, hum."

I work at another university, where a couple of years ago we also made the front page of the Chronicle for a couple of professors in the Psychology Dept. who were accused of several years of sexual harassment of research assistants and fellow faculty. I wondered how the University would ever live it down.

It blew over within a few months.

This will, too.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 10 months ago

This athletic thing has obviously become so corrupt not only at KU but in Lawrence special interest politics as well.

PLAY,USD 497,Clinton Lake Regional Park = probably $60 million - $75 million. Taxpayers will never ever recoup this kind of reckless spending!

tophawk87 3 years, 10 months ago

Apparently the Chancellor is not strong enough to fire Lew Perkins....

4everahawk 3 years, 10 months ago

But he doesn't OWN athletics - he only THINKS he does....this could and should have been prevented if only everyone wasn't turning a blind eye either out of fear of losing their jobs (how great is THAT atmosphere!!??) or allowing it and just not wanting to deal with it because it would cause a outcry in the community.......guess what, it was ignored and it STILL was reported from someone on the OUTSIDE and ultimately there has been horrible results anyway.

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 10 months ago

I am not a big fan of Lew Perkins, but then, I have never met the guy.

I think putting all the blame on Perkins is unfair. I see this the same way I would a business that was embezzled by the CFO or the accountant.

It happens all the time and you don't fire the owners of the business. They are the victims.

The guys stealing tickets were very slick operators.

If you want to have people fall on their swords, look at Wall Street or Congress.

militant 3 years, 10 months ago

I've always appreciated the honorable Japanese way of accepting responsibility for failure.

chestylion 3 years, 10 months ago

It is time to go Lew! Do you need help getting to the train station?

kubacker 3 years, 10 months ago

Perkins needs to be gone yesterday!

jimjones 3 years, 10 months ago

Lew has mismanaged every assignment he has been given. This time he claims he didn't know about the debacle. This isn't a petty one-time crime; this is MILLIONS of dollars lost through deliberate and repeated actions.

We certainly don't need his total lack of leadership representing KU now. Whatever respect and credibility he ever imagined he had is gone now. He has embarrassed the university repeatedly through his decisions.

The field house seating couldn't have been handled any worse than it was. The existing seatholders should have been provided some grandfathering.

The practice field was placed in the one of the worst spots imaginable. All practices can be viewed and videoed from public locations. It reduced the already starved parking, it ruined the beauty and symmetry of that area, and it cut into the tailgating space.

Firing Mangino two weeks BEFORE the end of the season was ridiculous timing. It could have waited until after the Missouri game.

If you want to thank those responsible for the increased revenue, thank the players/coaches of the teams that won a national championship and an Orange Bowl. THAT is what brought in the money. All Lew did was spend it unwisely.

Throwing tantrums in public. He obviously has his own anger management problems.

Bottom Line: Lew needs to finally be held accountable and be removed. I don't get the impression that the chancellor has the guts to do it on her own. I hope I'm wrong.

xyz 3 years, 10 months ago

Yep, Lew should resign!!!

Hmmm, maybe the Chancellor is letting him sweat while the fed report is being completed to see if he has any conscience at all and leaves before she kicks his a$$ back to the east coast.

Tony Kisner 3 years, 10 months ago

Lew has created a money culture and it came back on him. I think KU should spin KUAI off in a IPO and be done with it.

musbhiorlo 3 years, 10 months ago

I don't believe that KU has ever been embarrassed this badly before, yes he should resign.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 10 months ago

Yes he should go.

Number one reason: for moving KU home games to KCMO screwing local taxpayers out of tons of revenue and lots of fun.

Number 2: How could Lew Perkins and/or his staff not have heard of this activity? Been going on since 2005.

Again YES it is time for Lew Perkins to resign!

BRING KU HOME GAMES BACK HOME!

Newell_Post 3 years, 10 months ago

A ticket scandal at KU? That's sort of like gambling at Rick's. I'm shocked.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 10 months ago

T_O_B, Dude: It's a plastic stringed guitar.
Plastic music. Even Martin's fake guitar strings are made in China. Same a Zebco monofilament. Damn Commies.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

What did spacehog say about harp seals? That reminds....we're having a cookout this weekend. Grill up some of this spring's kill.

I ♣ baby seals.

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 10 months ago

If he didn't know then he was truly overpaid.

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Jeeze, why didn't someone warn me? Willie didn't just cut his hair, he bobbed it! It's horrific. Can you imagine your great granddad witha bob?

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

equalaccessprivacy, could you repost that in English, please?

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Yeah Bob, the Pigs on the Wing stuff. I'm going back to dirty Dylan. Hey, anyone know where I can get a good quality, cheap man-purse? I'm thinking something like fake dark crimson crushed velvet with a nice gold zipper. Some disgruntled athletic dept. employee ripped my trucker wallet right off me at the liquor store. Thank God I already paid for the Viaka and adult lemonade.

equalaccessprivacy 3 years, 10 months ago

The way authority and power operate in the world by means of a disingenuous blame game is pathetically stomach-turning. It might be time for the university to look at switching General Counsels though. The people in that office right now are just toxically unethical, unknowledgable about the law, and not even very good at managing damage control. It's all about blaming and framing the victim for offices like the KU General Counsel and HR---they do an incredibly heavy-handed, sadistically vindictive job in that area too.

CWGOKU 3 years, 10 months ago

If this ticket scandal happened at MU or KSU, it would have been about meth and livestock, not tickets.

CWGOKU 3 years, 10 months ago

I am headed home for an ice cold Bud and a Jack chaser. Lew should have already been gone.

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 10 months ago

Yes. Five of his ADs were dirty and the majority of those people were hired or promoted quickly under Lew. It is obvious reading the report that Lew has very little institutional control and relied heavily on single reporting lines with very little oversight. With the (large) exception of educating student-athletes, the two main functions of the athletic department are to generate revenue through ticket sales and donations. Both of those functions were compromised by people who directly report to Lew and the damage will be long lasting.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

"T_O_B, Proctor and Gamble tampered with BP's blowout preventer's so they could sell more Dawn® with that cute cuddly picture of the harp seal on the bottle and your up in arms because some aging tax evading bud toking nylon stringed guitar freak cut off his ponytails?" RI

Dude, I bet he sent his pony tails to soak up the oil in the Gulf (or ocean, has Big Sis calls it). A true patriot sacrificing his body for the greater good of the country.

Hog - Pink Floyd Pig?

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

I wonder if he gave them to Locks of Love. I bet they stink. He looks like he has poor hygiene, like all hippies.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 10 months ago

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

Holy crap. I just saw that, Clark. No more Willie Tails.

CLARKKENT 3 years, 10 months ago

CONSUMER 1

WILLIE JUST DID CUT HIS PIGTAILS. DID IT IN HAWAII. GUESS YOU ARE RIGHT,

LEW IS GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Lew should Style today. Somebody needs to.

BABBOY 3 years, 10 months ago

No. Not unless he was directly involved in it.

(I wear purple and see myself nuetral on this issue)

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

He can stay, but only if he eats a bug on live TV, a bug with big fuzzy legs!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 10 months ago

You can pry my Silly bandz® from my cold, dead, limp wrists.

Molon Labe!

consumer1 3 years, 10 months ago

The day Willie Nelson cut's off his pigtails is the day Lew Perkins will be guilty!!

consumer1 3 years, 10 months ago

The folks at Mizzou must be going wild right about now.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

I've always been an Oatmeal Stout kind of guy but the last couple of times I find that this Maibock is quite exceptional. Smooth and very flavorful. five stars.

4everahawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Keegan said Lew was not a 'micro-manager'......if only you knew.

Steve Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

Heres the chance, send him packin like the rest of the crew got, right or wrong, it's an opportunity to finish cleaning house. Take it.

yankeevet 3 years, 10 months ago

Perhaps he was so busy going after Mangino; he did not look in "his own backyard"; so what if Mangino lost a few games; at least he was not a crook; thief; and a liar.........my vote is too fire the whole KU Athletic staff...........and the ones who stole money ; pay back all the money; and go to prison; bubba awaits you all...............

Chris Ogle 3 years, 10 months ago

Lew Who??? No , sorry he no longer works here.

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

I watched some cool show about the history of artillary last night. Anybody know where I can get a M777. Hey, is Laundromat 777 still open? I bet they talk a lot of bible in there.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

I hate tofu. Really. It's like eating a piece of rotted but flavorless leather. Nutrition? Yeah, great . . . tree bark has nutrition. And more flavor. Tofu is next to worthless unless it is prepared as filler for something else. Then, just as you're chewing a tasty bite of . . . whatever, you sink your teeth into the unmistakable but indescribable texture of one of those little cubes. But I'm told there are literally thousands of ways to include tofu in our diet, so I will give it another chance. Maybe I can find it in powder form then add a half teaspoon or so into the biscuit dough or pancake batter. Mixing it in with the morning wake up flavors of maple syrup, buttery biscuits, hot black coffee, . . . well it might just mask it enough to choke it down. I doubt it, but I'll try.

Just don't tell the guys at the hunting lodge.

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Yes. It's one of my guilty pleasures to listen to Slash play the Godfather Theme. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPJM4c...

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Celebrities of the Day: We have a tie. The Mikes. #1 is Michael McDonald of the Doobie Brothers. Good idea to trim the helmet hair. Now quit trying to sing Motown songs. In fact, quit singing. #2 is Mike Myers. Don't they have Wayne and Larry's in Canada? I bet you do zany stuff at bars, like singing that "Take Off" song, by Doug and Bob McKenzie. Sorry dude, you're just not very funny.

sickofittoo 3 years, 10 months ago

Lew was too busy going after Joe College he should have been paying attention to what was going on instead of going after the little guy.

justtired 3 years, 10 months ago

Perkins and Marchiony should go.