Previous   Next

Would you like to see a temporary outdoor ice skating rink in downtown Lawrence?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 26, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes I would because I want to learn how to ice skate.”

“Yes, I think it would be neat.”

“I would. … I think it would balance out really well with the community pool … and give people something else to do.”

“Yes, sir, because ice skating’s fun.”

Comments

ChiHawkInKS 3 years, 10 months ago

Maybe this will teach some of you yokels here in Kansas how awesome hockey is... maybe even popularize the game with children.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 10 months ago

If any of our tax dollars are involved, NO!! Now if Downtown Lawrence Inc. and/or some businesses want to fund it...sure! When we get some kind of economic recovery, in my mind the library improvements would come first. Right now, things are so bad that even the library gets a NO from me.

(I know, I know; what a kill-joy.)

whats_going_on 3 years, 10 months ago

HOWEVER, last winter I went to the ice rink in JOCO and there were quite a few brats there. (although, who isn't a brat in JOCO?) Things have changed from the early 90's. Boo :(

whats_going_on 3 years, 10 months ago

I used to have so much fun at our school skating parties at the place on Iowa...I miss it! People are always trying to find other things to do here besides go to bars, movies, or downtown. A skating rink, ice or roller, would be fun!!

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

I would like to see a temporary restraining order, against myself.......

igby 3 years, 10 months ago

The Food-For-Less store on Iowa could be converted into a indoor ice ring. Just a thought!

However, if you wait about 9 months, there will be several big boxes empty on South Iowa, too choose from. That is, after the European bond market crashes in August and they start killing each other, like Europeans usually do when they need someone to blame for their failed Euro, and flat economy.

Pywacket 3 years, 10 months ago

Oops... After posting, it occurred to me that my reply to Spacehog would no doubt be collapsed, making it of no use to him in opening collapsed boxes.

Here's what it says: It took me a few days to figure that out, but here's what works for me. Click on the person's name. That will give you a stupid error message. Close the error box (click on the "x") then go back and click on the person's name a second time. That time, it will open.

I have found that all subsequent attempts to open collapsed boxes on the thread will then be successful for as long as you stay on that thread. (I.e., if you go back there later in the day, you'll have to repeat the procedure).

Good luck.

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Autie, ain't I invited? I'll bring plenty of ice. They should build a permanent rink in the Kwik Shop on 23rd, or in Allen Fieldhouse. I prefer to rollerblade in tight pink bicycling shorts.

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Oh, for God's sake. I'm tech stupid. Can someone tell me how to open a collapsed comment? Thank You.

somedude20 3 years, 10 months ago

Can they use that ice that was used in the movie "Real Genius" that turned into a gass after they used it?

"If you think that by threatening me you can get me to do what you want... Well, that's where you're right. But - and I am only saying that because I care - there's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing." "Real Genius"

Kontum1972 3 years, 10 months ago

and how much is the liability insurance gonna cost us citizens

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

Towelee? ya wanna get high?

Kat Christian 3 years, 10 months ago

NO - I'd like to see a Permanent ICE & Skate Rink here in Lawrence. Long overdue for one. There's a space in North Lawrence next to the Sonic where one could be built. We are limiting the talent of some of the kids here in Lawrence. So much skill and sports can be gained by having a Rink. Also, a fun family thing to do and a place where tweens can go on a weekend night. If I had the money I'd build it.

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 10 months ago

Yes, we have no money "says the commissioners" yes we have ICE.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

Looks like the Williams Fund is skating on thin ice . . .

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 10 months ago

And they skate on real ice, not plastic ice.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 10 months ago

CW, By watching the Tampa Bay Lighting of course...

CWGOKU 3 years, 10 months ago

Forget the towel, how does someone from Tampa know about ice skating?

No to the temporary rink

musbhiorlo 3 years, 10 months ago

better yet, save the money and allow rollerblading downtown

donjuan 3 years, 10 months ago

g_rock is onto something.

is this a prelude to further budget cuts while they spend more money on Farmland property?

g_rock 3 years, 10 months ago

The city has a hard enough time removing ice from the streets during the winter. I think they need to practice that part before they go into the business of creating ice.

Pywacket 3 years, 10 months ago

About damn time. The skates I brought with me from the north died a mildewy death in the basement years ago, but I have my eye on some Bauer Vapors. If they're half as nice as my Vapor inline skates, I'll be a happy skater.

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Enough with the sarcasm, BABBOY.

BABBOY 3 years, 10 months ago

Sure

I would not use it but that would be nice for those who like hockey or like to skate.

prospector 3 years, 10 months ago

Will it bring Holiday on Ice® to town?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 10 months ago

No, I think she is one of those damn French bird eaters hiding from God.

donjuan 3 years, 10 months ago

YES on the corner of 9th & New Hampshire would be an excellent location across from the Bourgeois Pig.

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

I think the towel might have something to do with that Moron cult in Texas. They just started one in FL, I guess. A lot of creepy things happen in FL............

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

Wait. I really AM confused. I thought we had a temporary ice rink every winter anyway. Don't they deliberately flood Watson Park down by the columns to make it?

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, fix the damn roads. I've discovered a new type of music. It's called Greatest Hits of the Skipping CD Player. And yes, I have anti-shock.

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

The towel thing has me confused, too. A couple of summers ago I saw this wierdo at the library(imagine that) wearing a "shirt" that was basically a towel with a hole cut in it to go over his head. Looked like he was stinkin' pretty bad, too.

Donnuts 3 years, 10 months ago

Absolutely !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

spacehog, they only thing that can save you is a massive infusion of bourbon....cheap bourbon. And just sit on the pop to drink about a half a gallon...I'd recommend wheeling in a TV or getting some good magazines...you should pass out and go to sleep about three this afternoon...when you wake up at six or seven this evening, you'll be healed. And in the future, don't eat carp...especially from the Kanas Cuyahoga. It would be healthier to drink a bottle of Ronda's sunscreen.

consumer1 3 years, 10 months ago

Has wearing a towell on your head now replaced those big bug eyed sunglasses? The girl above her would look good with a towell on her head too!

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

Why does Erin Espenschied have a towell on her head?

"What can I expect for the next few hours?"

Nothing you haven't experienced before if you swim in the Kaw on a regular basis.

consumer1 3 years, 10 months ago

I want to see the roads fixed. Quit trying to spend money on frivilous crap. But, more importantly why is that girl wearing a towel on her head? and what kind of lineman is the other on the steeter? Defensive or offenseive? My guess offense.

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Will there be fish under the ice? By the way, Autie, I need some help. I actually caught a carp yesterday when I was swimming in the Kaw. I took it home and ate it. The whole thing. Head, bones, guts, all of it. Somebody said I was supposed to clean it. I did. I ran it under clean tap water for 2 minutes. Now all hell is breaking loose. I feel like I'm in that movie, "Run to the Bathroom", starring Willy Makeit, co-starring Betty Won't. What can I expect for the next few hours?

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Exactly, xbus! Can we get some clarification on this. Are we talking about an outdoor or indoor rink? Winter or Summer? Real ice, plastic ice, or home-cooked ice? Pretty please?

Chris Ogle 3 years, 10 months ago

Great question...... A summer ice skating rink. Hmmm, sounds like a good idea. We really don't need one in the winter....... with our city streets and all. Wait a minute, doesn't Ice melt in the summer.... oh, I forgot..... this is Lawrence (the special city)

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

That link is over the top, Roe! I just had a seizure. Actually, I was just hyphy dancing to it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ohlJk...

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

It's amazing what I know! (with a little help from Google . . .)

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

You're on it, Roe! That's me, alright. And here all this time I thought it had something to do with Sir Alec Guiness or maybe Alec Baldwin.

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Look out, #2! It's David Keith, that dude in "An Officer and a Gentleman". Looks like he's reprising his role as cadet Sid Worley.

Sid: "I'll get my old job back at JC Penney's. Hell, in two years, I'll be floor manager. You're going to love Oklahoma. You and mama will get along great. Money might
be tight, so we'll live at home. It's going to work out." Lynette: "Sid... There's no baby."

Dude, you were great in that. Now you're a lineman. A Wichita lineman? No, a Eudora lineman. I'm glad that's what they still call it. Best of luck!

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Today is Miles Davis Day. Miles Dewey Davis III (May 26, 1926 – September 28, 1991). Happy Birthday, Sugar!

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Wait. I'm confused. I was gonna be a smart alec and say "Only in the summer". Then I saw emily's comment and assumed she was serious. Then I saw Ret's comment about synthetic ice, which I smoke a lot of. What the hell is going on here? I think my head is gonna explode! Just open another damn roller skating rink. It's a great place for kids to learn about sex and score drugs.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

Sure! Stop fining home owners and businesses for not removing snow and ice on sidewalks and instead encourage them to hose down their sidewalks when temperatures go below 32 degrees! This will create a network of skating paths all winter for the entire city! Why is all the fun limited to downtown? Barricade off half of Walmart's parking lot while you're at it! And Tangier's Wasteland Arena! Fine all non-participants!!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 10 months ago

Synthetic ice made in some third-world country sweat shop by child labor?

How much of downtown are we going to block off?

emily_litella 3 years, 10 months ago

I think this would be a great place for kids to go in the summer.