Previous   Next

Would you like to see a temporary outdoor ice skating rink in downtown Lawrence?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 26, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes I would because I want to learn how to ice skate.”

“Yes, I think it would be neat.”

“I would. … I think it would balance out really well with the community pool … and give people something else to do.”

“Yes, sir, because ice skating’s fun.”

Comments

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 6 months ago

Synthetic ice made in some third-world country sweat shop by child labor?

How much of downtown are we going to block off?

toldfield 4 years, 6 months ago

Its unfortunate you are so misinformed. I can't speak for other companies but IcePro is made in a world class factory in Germany - hardly third world, and certainly no sweat shop. I agree with the majority of the comments. This does become a fantastic way to entertain kids (and families) and gives them one more way to become active. It's a great idea and can become a major attraction if done properly.

Tim Oldfield Owner, IcePro Sports, Canada.

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

Sure! Stop fining home owners and businesses for not removing snow and ice on sidewalks and instead encourage them to hose down their sidewalks when temperatures go below 32 degrees! This will create a network of skating paths all winter for the entire city! Why is all the fun limited to downtown? Barricade off half of Walmart's parking lot while you're at it! And Tangier's Wasteland Arena! Fine all non-participants!!

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

According to G.L. Cohen, author of Studies in Slang Part 1 (1985), the phrase smart alec(k) arose from the exploits of one Alec Hoag. A celebrated pimp, thief, and confidence man operating out of New York City in the 1840's, Mr. Hoag, along with his wife Melinda and an accomplice known as "French Jack," operated a con called the "panel game," a method by which prostitutes and their pimps robbed foolish customers. See www.wordwizard.com/.

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

It's amazing what I know! (with a little help from Google . . .)

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

"AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!"

Vital Remains - "Into Cold Darkness"

Lyrics;

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!! Sensual pleasures of non-resistant triumph Spiritual tendencies deeply rooted in man's psyche Ab-I-Hayat waters of immortality A sanctuary to mortante your mind

Chris Ogle 4 years, 6 months ago

Great question...... A summer ice skating rink. Hmmm, sounds like a good idea. We really don't need one in the winter....... with our city streets and all. Wait a minute, doesn't Ice melt in the summer.... oh, I forgot..... this is Lawrence (the special city)

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 6 months ago

My husband drives 13th every day to go to work. I drive it too when I take him to work and pick him up so I can keep the car. The city is spending THOUSANDS to put in speed bumps (since they can't afford islands anymore) while 13th between the campus and New York has huge chunks of asphalt gone exposing the original brick. Believe me, this is a much better "traffic calming device".

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 6 months ago

Wait. I really AM confused. I thought we had a temporary ice rink every winter anyway. Don't they deliberately flood Watson Park down by the columns to make it?

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 6 months ago

It was only one day but yesterday was "Towel Day" in honor of Douglas Adams' birthday. A couple of people I know actually wore pajamas and a bathrobe to work along with the towel but most people I know just took a towel. You never know when you might need to flag down a passing spaceship and hitch a ride. It would seem with your user name you would find a towel really handy.

somedude20 4 years, 6 months ago

if you are going to plunk down a fair amount of coin on a vapor Py, you should use a Vapor Brothers kid. I am sure The Spacehog will back this up too

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in

somedude20 4 years, 6 months ago

You must be careful when hitting that "Vapor" Pywack as those blades could cut your face then you would heve to carry that cat in front of your face all the time (to hide the scars)

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

Looks like the Williams Fund is skating on thin ice . . .

Kat Christian 4 years, 6 months ago

NO - I'd like to see a Permanent ICE & Skate Rink here in Lawrence. Long overdue for one. There's a space in North Lawrence next to the Sonic where one could be built. We are limiting the talent of some of the kids here in Lawrence. So much skill and sports can be gained by having a Rink. Also, a fun family thing to do and a place where tweens can go on a weekend night. If I had the money I'd build it.

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

Too late, sunshine. Already plans for a store going in there

denak 4 years, 6 months ago

I absolutely agree with you. I want a permanent ice and roller skating rink. Seriously, there is not enough for preteens and teenagers to do in this town. We use to have skate night at my grade and high school growing up and we loved it. And even though there are no graphics or controllers involved, I still believe the kids growing up today would love it.

Personally, I would go just to do something I love and get some excercise.

Dena

denak 4 years, 6 months ago

Don't do it Towelee....think of washcloth.

Kontum1972 4 years, 6 months ago

and how much is the liability insurance gonna cost us citizens

somedude20 4 years, 6 months ago

Can they use that ice that was used in the movie "Real Genius" that turned into a gass after they used it?

"If you think that by threatening me you can get me to do what you want... Well, that's where you're right. But - and I am only saying that because I care - there's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing." "Real Genius"

igby 4 years, 6 months ago

The Food-For-Less store on Iowa could be converted into a indoor ice ring. Just a thought!

However, if you wait about 9 months, there will be several big boxes empty on South Iowa, too choose from. That is, after the European bond market crashes in August and they start killing each other, like Europeans usually do when they need someone to blame for their failed Euro, and flat economy.

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

Food-4-Less building being remodeled and will be a furniture store

Kat Christian 4 years, 6 months ago

Mattress store is going in at the old Food-4-Less.

igby 4 years, 6 months ago

If the roller skating went bad, so will the ice skating.

Who will insure the place against law suits when people are broken up and need millions in longterm care for the rest of they're life.

It only takes one!

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

I used to have so much fun at our school skating parties at the place on Iowa...I miss it! People are always trying to find other things to do here besides go to bars, movies, or downtown. A skating rink, ice or roller, would be fun!!

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

HOWEVER, last winter I went to the ice rink in JOCO and there were quite a few brats there. (although, who isn't a brat in JOCO?) Things have changed from the early 90's. Boo :(

mr_right_wing 4 years, 6 months ago

If any of our tax dollars are involved, NO!! Now if Downtown Lawrence Inc. and/or some businesses want to fund it...sure! When we get some kind of economic recovery, in my mind the library improvements would come first. Right now, things are so bad that even the library gets a NO from me.

(I know, I know; what a kill-joy.)