Previous   Next

Should state universities be allowed to award honorary degrees?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 25, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes, if the other states are allowing it then there’s no reason that Kansas shouldn’t.”

“Yes, they should because some people are worthy of being honored, even though they may not have done all the necessary course work, but their life’s achievements may have qualified them.”

“Yes, if they feel like they deserve it enough and don’t overdo it handing out the awards.”

“If it is an honorary degree in something that the university is well-known for or excels in, then I don’t have a problem with it.”

Comments

donjuan 3 years, 10 months ago

YES, except for Senator Brownback.

blue73harley 3 years, 11 months ago

Since even the Nobel Peace prize is now pretty much meaningless, what's the big deal about a state university handing out bogus paper?

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

somedude20, you think that's bad. I found this art school inside a book of matches once. So I drew a picture of my man-boobs and sent them $200. I was really plastered. Never heard a thing.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

I got an Ichabod once. In HS shop class, I put a 2x4 in the wrong side of a table saw. The thing shot out, went through my neck, took my head off, and put a hole in the wall. So there I am, crawling around looking for my head while the teacher is yelling about the hole in the wall.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Gotcha CW. I posted something here. I don't know how to contact him. He turned 69, the magic number. But thanks for the heads up anyway.

prospector 3 years, 11 months ago

R_I

You get stroked either way.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

Is there a sleepy hollow in Topeka? I got an honorary fish hook lodged under my scalp on the back of head one time. Pops used his secret fish hook removal trick on it. You know, there really is very few nerve ending in your scalp.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

An Ichabod is a abolitionist industrial philanthropist from Massachusetts.

The difference between a philanthropist and a philanderer is just who gets the money.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 11 months ago

An Ichabod is someone who gets chased by a headless horseman.

prospector 3 years, 11 months ago

Sure. I want to be an honorary Gorilla since I'm not real sure what an Ichabod is.

musbhiorlo 3 years, 11 months ago

Hey LJW, thanks for getting rid of your popup window.

sputum 3 years, 11 months ago

They should call it a Dishonorable Degree. Anyone with honor would put in the time and effort to earn their degree and would not accept anything less. Anyone who would accept an 'honorary degree' isn't an honorable person. It would be like calling yourself a war hero when you were actually a draft dodger who ran away to Canada.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

I wonder if they would let me walk down the hill with my daughter when she graduates...ya see, when I graduated, I didn't get to because I already had a JOB and had to be there.

somedude20 3 years, 11 months ago

After 4 years and $40,000 worth of debt; the school I went to had the cojones to charge $60 for the diploma/cap gown. Why is it that cereals give out prizes with their junk but colleges don't?

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

Those boys thought they had a key to the county....probably looked a little bit like a reciprocal saw.....

CWGOKU 3 years, 11 months ago

Hey Spacehog, yesterday was Bob Dylan's birthday. I hope you celebrated, sent him a card or something. Honorary degrees, no problem, just a gesture, like a key to the City.
I think my degree from KU was honorary. I was a bad student, but I paid enough tuition they gave me a diploma and told to keep it quiet and not come back.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Eddie Would Go. Anyone? I really need to make a connection here. And merrill, don't google it and cut and paste a bunch of crap.

g_rock 3 years, 11 months ago

Honorary degrees are kind of ridiculous. The only ones you ever hear about are celebrities anyway. Why honor them? They already get enough attention and press.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Dey you go, Hawaiian, thuja! You know da kine. Goose poop, rabbit droppings, whatever. I prefer the rope with the pruple strands in it, but whatever, I'm the omniscient bud bongman. Eddie Would Go. Anybody feeling me?

thuja 3 years, 11 months ago

Watch out! Goose poop looks alot like kind bud!!

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

Ombudsman? I think that means you will smoke about anything in your bong.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Could someone please explain this question? I went to KU and gadjiated, but I was drinking like a school of whales back then. I might have been an Ombudsman, whatever that is. Ret?

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

They already tried to give me that Barnes & Noble Piece Prize. I told them I don't know how to read, but I still do fine with the ladies.

edjayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

No unless they already have a degree and show outstanding work in their field.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

I reckon if you earn enough of the right credits in honorary they ought to give a degree in honorary.

Why don't they just call it, "We think you're really cool" degree? And the first honorary degree goes to spacehog;.....for all of his natural insight and surreal wisdom of how the world spins....

grammaddy 3 years, 11 months ago

I don't see a problem. JK where do these silly questions come from?

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

And today we have #1, Rivers Cuomo of Weezer. He must be here getting another PhD. or something. Hey Rivers, hurry up and put another album out, you egomaniacal jerk.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Yes. I still think Pearl Jam is relevant, especially when they do "Red Mosquito", with Ben Harper. That dude can really play slide. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NklPPaq4CIw&feature=related

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Roe, tell the cuzins sorry for me. I burn one with her sometimes, but I didn't know she ate it.

Chris Ogle 3 years, 11 months ago

“Yes, if the other states are allowing it then there’s no reason that Kansas shouldn’t

AH Kansas, land of the sheep

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

cuzin elroy gots that no bull piece prize i dont noe why cuz he bin full of bs sinse the day he wuz bron

Hey spacehog the cuzins caught yer dog gettin' into their . . uh . .stash of . .uh . .well anyway they says you really need to keep him leashed up at night . . .

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

No. It's like a brothel saying "you're our best customer" It's cheap, dirty, and demeaning.