Previous   Next

What summer activities do you plan for your kids?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 24, 2010

Browse the archives

“They’re going to be visiting grandpa in Minnesota.”

“Band camp at KU.”

“I have two kids, and I would like for both to find some job and have some fun, and I will send them for a couple of weeks to Europe.”

“Well, we’re planning on going to the Deanna Rose Farmstead and quite possibly the Kansas City Public Zoo.”

Related story

Comments

Bill Lee 4 years, 7 months ago

My kids are old enough that they're responsible for their own schedules. I just hope that visiting their dad is high on those schedules.

gphawk89 4 years, 7 months ago

I bet there are quite a few folks that think Autie's remarks were meant to be humorous, but those activities really are "the usual stuff" for a lot of the kids in rural KS. Helping with farm work - either as hired help or as part of a farming family - kept many of my classmates occupied full time during the summer months. That, plus vacation bible school and going swimming on the really hot days.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 7 months ago

Everything they need is in the paper...... you know..... job, car, apartment

Flap Doodle 4 years, 7 months ago

The little nippers need to learn how to reload a musket while running full speed through the woods.

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

And how to operate the Dillon 550 so I can get some shooting time in too!

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

They can cast those Keith bullets! I've been breathing those lead fumes for years and it hasn't affected me! Has it? . . . Well . . . ?

grammaddy 4 years, 7 months ago

The usual, swimming, library programs,etc. Anything that will keep them out of the house and out of my hair.

looza 4 years, 7 months ago

cleaning and dissenfecting his frat house at the Univ. of Pittsburgh.

ms_canada 4 years, 7 months ago

They mostly do their own thing, but on June 24 I am taking my girls to Banff to The Club at Banff Art Center to see and hear that great GREAT african guitar player, Alpha Yaya Diallo. Don't know his music??? you are missing one super great guitarist. He has a website. I can hardly wait for June 24.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 7 months ago

We have a zoo pass for the KC Zoo, vacation Bible school, swim lessons and T-ball. The rest will be filled with picnics, swimming, the park, and loving on their new baby brother. I love summer!! I've missed my oldest and she only goes to preschool for half the day!

1029 4 years, 7 months ago

My kids' favorite summertime place to play is at Bowersock Dam. They have so much fun playing in the water and hanging out in their "fort" under the waterfall that I can usually slip over to Johnny's for a beer or two and they don't even notice that I'm gone. Summertime fun ain't just for the kids, you know :)

SpeedRacer 4 years, 7 months ago

Band, baseball, mowing 4 yards, swimming, a little fishing and camping, maybe a road trip, and READING.

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

Paying jobs? Did that from age 13 on . . . 49 years of paying jobs. Time now to coast a while, be an obnoxious old fart and eventually fade away . . .

How am I doin' so far?

Richard Heckler 4 years, 7 months ago

There are plenty of activities on the table ...... as always.

The Lawrence Art Center is a big player and mowing too. Late summer it will be the Rocky mountains after loads of people have returned from vacation for school.

M. Lindeman 4 years, 7 months ago

When it is nice outside, they are going outside and figure it out there self. If it is raining or nastey out there, I will let them play there video games.

H_Lecter 4 years, 7 months ago

I have a wonderful game for kids that keeps them furiously occupied for hours. The only equipment required is a length of rope. Kids love rope tricks.

I like to call it, "See if you can get out of this one?"