Previous   Next

What summer activities do you plan for your kids?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 24, 2010

Browse the archives

“They’re going to be visiting grandpa in Minnesota.”

“Band camp at KU.”

“I have two kids, and I would like for both to find some job and have some fun, and I will send them for a couple of weeks to Europe.”

“Well, we’re planning on going to the Deanna Rose Farmstead and quite possibly the Kansas City Public Zoo.”

Related story

Comments

donjuan 3 years, 11 months ago

and swimming at a Kansas Lake

donjuan 3 years, 11 months ago

permaculture

in this case PERMANENTLY helping in the garden! LOL

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 11 months ago

Chuckles, I worked 40 hours a week during the summer starting after 6th grade or so during the summer, at $1 an hour, with 3 total brats baby sitting plus full housekeeping for a family of five, for one of Lawrence's biggest slumlords in their nice home.Vacuumed everyday because the kids were slobs (we never had to do that daily in our home) I even had to start dinner sometimes.Talk about slave labor. That experience alone made me not want to have kids for years. My other babysitting job would pay me often $20 for a weekend night,(sometimes I worked fri, sat nights and sunday if there were games or they had plans) but that was my brother's business partner who lived in an equally nice home about three blocks down. All had rental properties, all had three kids, the first were just real cheapskates.

H_Lecter 3 years, 11 months ago

I have a wonderful game for kids that keeps them furiously occupied for hours. The only equipment required is a length of rope. Kids love rope tricks.

I like to call it, "See if you can get out of this one?"

M. Lindeman 3 years, 11 months ago

When it is nice outside, they are going outside and figure it out there self. If it is raining or nastey out there, I will let them play there video games.

g_rock 3 years, 11 months ago

How I spent my summers as a yute:

fetching a cold Bud for Dad while he mowed the lawn digging potatoes on great grandpa's farm summers volunteering at daycamp swimming lessons tennis lessons summer band debate camp working at a grocery store playing in the sand pile at the lake fishing with grandma and papa and long vacations with the family, my sister and I sitting under the shell in the back of the pickup on old couch cushions in the bed of the truck while pulling the camping trailer to Florida and back...amazing that we didn't die in a crash or kill each other.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Roe , you get 5 stars in my book. Congratulations and all my respect for all those years of hard work. You deserve to be here. I'm just Lost right now. Oh wait, that was yesterdays' topic. Sorry.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 11 months ago

There are plenty of activities on the table ...... as always.

The Lawrence Art Center is a big player and mowing too. Late summer it will be the Rocky mountains after loads of people have returned from vacation for school.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

Paying jobs? Did that from age 13 on . . . 49 years of paying jobs. Time now to coast a while, be an obnoxious old fart and eventually fade away . . .

How am I doin' so far?

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

True, 75x55, paying being the key word. Like jobs that pay enough to live on. Can't seem to find one around here. Any suggestions? Slow day at Affinitas?

75x55 3 years, 11 months ago

Times must be bad - it's very clear that some of you need a paying job.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

Megafauna farts could have stopped the ice age 12,000 years ago

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

I tell my boys if they wax the dolphin, they'll go blind and crazy. Crazy=Cold Irons Bound. See for yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hO-83...

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 11 months ago

zones are popping N to S..going to be anything fun this way later? http://www.spc.noaa.gov/

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Drop them off at the pool. Pick them up in August.

That was my routine. My brother and I terrorized the Municipal Pool, The Elks Club, and Holiday Park Pool. We spent most of the time on the deck for dunking kids and wreaking havoc. I can still rip a one and a half off the high dive. If you don't believe me, meet me at the Aquatic Center.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

I can't wait to tell my kids about vacation bible school. I'll be wearing a helmet when I do.....

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Damn right! My kids are dyed-in-the-wool Teabaggers! Hol, no-more-taxes, Royd!!

SpeedRacer 3 years, 11 months ago

Band, baseball, mowing 4 yards, swimming, a little fishing and camping, maybe a road trip, and READING.

1029 3 years, 11 months ago

My kids' favorite summertime place to play is at Bowersock Dam. They have so much fun playing in the water and hanging out in their "fort" under the waterfall that I can usually slip over to Johnny's for a beer or two and they don't even notice that I'm gone. Summertime fun ain't just for the kids, you know :)

sputum 3 years, 11 months ago

I am enrolling them in a head start program where they will learn Spanish and how to fill out welfare papers.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

Plan for my kids? What do you think I am, some little pancake eating communist? Hell No. They can make up their own minds, they don't need any government telling them what to do.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

I want every kid to learn a bout great musicians. By the way,

“Ladies and gentlemen please welcome the poet laureate of rock 'n' roll. The voice of the promise of the '60s counterculture. The guy who forced folk into bed with rock. Who donned makeup in the '70s and disappeared into a haze of substance abuse. Who emerged to find Jesus. Who was written off as a has-been by the end of the '80s, and who suddenly shifted gears releasing some of the strongest music of his career beginning in the late '90s. Ladies and gentlemen — Columbia recording artist Bob Dylan!”

Happy Birthday, Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

prospector 3 years, 11 months ago

Drop them off at the pool. Pick them up in August.

Not really. They know they can find me at the Free State Brewery.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Hey, Ed Norton is here! I didn't know his grandpa is in MN. I really liked him in "Primal Fear". "I lose time, I lose time......" Madonna's great, great grandson Richard Gere was in that, too. He just turned 20.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

throwing hedge apples at cars.....oh spacey, reminds me of the good ole days.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Vandalism, mostly. Egging cars and houses, stealing fire extinguishers, siphoning gas out of people's cars for me, flatening tires, taking lug nuts off, throwing hedge apples at cars, prank phone calls, lighting fireworks under people's porches. You know, the good stuff I did a couple years ago.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 11 months ago

We have a zoo pass for the KC Zoo, vacation Bible school, swim lessons and T-ball. The rest will be filled with picnics, swimming, the park, and loving on their new baby brother. I love summer!! I've missed my oldest and she only goes to preschool for half the day!

ms_canada 3 years, 11 months ago

They mostly do their own thing, but on June 24 I am taking my girls to Banff to The Club at Banff Art Center to see and hear that great GREAT african guitar player, Alpha Yaya Diallo. Don't know his music??? you are missing one super great guitarist. He has a website. I can hardly wait for June 24.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

happy brothers day. And polish up those shoes boys, tomorrow is tap dancing day.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

The_Original_Bob (anonymous) says… Teaching them to properly cut and paste on newspaper website comment sections.

check

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 11 months ago

Teaching them to properly cut and paste on newspaper website comment sections.

looza 3 years, 11 months ago

cleaning and dissenfecting his frat house at the Univ. of Pittsburgh.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 11 months ago

5 gallons of flat wall paint, paint brush, oil drum commode (going green by recycling), long life bug lite,
and all the art supplies they can use in a large walk in closet. Cases of canned pop for unlimited fart entertainment and washing paint brushes. Crack under the door big enough to slip pizzas (got the 90 day pill packs of Soma from Canada), freeze pops and the end of the roll of toilet paper. Tru Value time lock on the outside set for mid August. (shop local) Us old folks needs our sleep.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

The Prairie Acre, thats where I recognize Mr. Musser from, or maybe somewhere else...

grammaddy 3 years, 11 months ago

The usual, swimming, library programs,etc. Anything that will keep them out of the house and out of my hair.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

They can cast those Keith bullets! I've been breathing those lead fumes for years and it hasn't affected me! Has it? . . . Well . . . ?

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

The little nippers need to learn how to reload a musket while running full speed through the woods.

Chris Ogle 3 years, 11 months ago

Everything they need is in the paper...... you know..... job, car, apartment

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

Building fence, cutting hedge, hauling hay...you know, the usual stuff.

Donnuts 3 years, 11 months ago

Drum lessons, piano lessons, softball, swimming lessons. Lots of fun activities. A short vacation.

Bill Lee 3 years, 11 months ago

My kids are old enough that they're responsible for their own schedules. I just hope that visiting their dad is high on those schedules.