Previous   Next

What is the worst spot for flooding in Lawrence?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa St. on May 21, 2010

Browse the archives

“The road by Pines nursery.”

“Ousdahl Road.”

“West Lawrence over by the 1500 block in the county, near K-10.”

“Probably in the alley right behind my house, 12th and Louisiana.”

Comments

thuja 3 years, 11 months ago

Who knows, but the intersection of 11th and New York just got a brand new surface, some kind of brick or cast brick.
Anyway, brand new intersection and it holds puddles of water on sunny days and will surely, (unless this is some kind of miracle surface) freeze-thaw and pothole up just like it was before they fixed it. In a couple years.

Were you guys thinking about what you were doing? Nice job!

1029 3 years, 11 months ago

northwest corner of 16th and idaho gets pretty bad sometimes

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

LJW/Jonathan, the donuts were stale @sunflowerbike this morning.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

space, Whacked for quoting a Saint?

I want that comment re-instated.

LJW/Jonathan, the donuts were state @sunflower thismorning.

Pywacket 3 years, 11 months ago

23rd and Ousdahl, and 1055 Hwy (what Haskell becomes, heading south), immediately south of 31st St. I've seen water over the road several places in town over the years, but those two areas are consistently among the worst.

Tomorrow's question, to be asked in front of the Taproom: What's the worst spot to be in Lawrence during a volcanic eruption?

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 11 months ago

"And I hate the f'n Eagles, man!!!"

The Dude.

riverdrifter 3 years, 11 months ago

Kasold on the curve. Surprised nobody's mentioned it.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Sorry Ret. You know I was kidding. "Someone" doesn't have a sense of humor and whacked us both.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Awesome song, Bob. I could have saved a lot of time. Did you see Petty on SNL recently? And here I thought no one looked or sounded worse than Bob Dylan. But at least Bob has a sort of magnetic awefulness. First time I saw Bob, Tom and the Heartbreakers were backing him at Sandstone in July 1986. They did a short set in the middle, pretty good. Favorite TP & HB song? Umm........"Here Comes My Girl". Yup.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

The Eagles are head lining the Austin City Limits Music Festival, and with the announcement of tougher emission and mileage standards, it is now official: Obama hates truck drivers and Baby Jesus

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 11 months ago

They are pretty much awesome, but I'm not paying Tom Petty money to see them play for 45 minutes at the Sprint Center.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

Ever since I heard an interview segment on NPR a few odd years ago.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 11 months ago

RI -

Are you a Trucker's fan or just quick on the Google trigger?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

space, Not cursing, just stating where I am from.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 11 months ago

Spacehog's prior post in song form...

Life ain't nothing but a blending up of all the ups and downs Dammit Elvis, don't you know You made your Mama so proud Before you ever made that record, before there ever was a Sun Before you ever lost that Cadillac that Carl Perkins won

Mr. Phillips found old Johnny Cash and he was high High before he ever took those pills and he's still too proud to die Mr. Phillips never said anything behind nobody's back Like "Dammit Elvis, don't he know, he ain't no Johnny Cash"

If Mr. Phillips was the only man that Jerry Lee still would call sir Then I guess Mr. Phillips did all of Y'all about as good as you deserve He did just what he said he was gonna do and the money came in sacks New contracts and Carl Perkins' Cadillac

I got friends in Nashville, or at least they're folks I know Nashville is where you go to see if what they said is so Carl drove his brand new Cadillac to Nashville and he went downtown This time they promised him a Grammy He turned his Cadillac around

Mr. Phillips never blew enough hot air to need a little gold plated paperweight He promised him a Cadillac and put the wind in Carl's face He did just what he said he was gonna do and the money came in sacks New contracts and Carl Perkins' Cadillac

Dammit Elvis, I swear son I think it's time you came around Making money you can't spend ain't what being dead's about You gave me all but one good reason not to do all the things you did Now Cadillacs are fiberglass, if you were me you'd call it quits

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Excellent question, Ret! Here's my take. Most of what Elvis did before he went into the Army in 1957 was excellent, influential, a definite melding of "race music"(later to be coined Rhythm and Blues) and white hillbilly country. Just listen to anything from the Sun Sessions. You also need to credit Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, and Jerry Lee Lewis. However, once in the Army, some genius at the PX or whatever they call it got him hooked on amphetamines. Beginning of the end of the talent. Additionally, Sam Phillips, owner of Sun, sold Elvis' contract for about 50 cents to Andreas Cornelis ("Dries") van Kuijk, aka illegal alien Tom Parker (hence, the reason Elvis never performed outside the U.S.). After being discharged from the Army, Elvis was forced by Parker to do nothing but make a 10 year string of bad movies, while consuming more and more drugs while the values and music of the world changed drastically. His next concert wouldn't be until the "Live '68 Comeback Special" which mostly rehashed everything he did 1955-57. And we all know what happened in the 70's. A fat, drugged-out mess who slurred his words on stage and forgot lyrics. And died of a drug-induced heart attack while sitting on the toilet at the age of 42. So yes, Ret, I would say The Elvis Legend (but you also have to hold Col. Tom culpable), is to blame. Elvis Presley: Jan. 8, 1955-Aug. 16, 1977. Thank You Very Much. Boy, that was all from my mangled brain! No cut-and -paste!

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 11 months ago

How would someone from India know the worst flooding spot in Lawrence.

Richard Payton 3 years, 11 months ago

The 2nd person teaches the short course program. How's that different from the long program? Maybe they just teach the short program to the kids on the short bus. Justin Bieber was on American Idol and I would have booed! Security would have made a beeline to my seat and gave me the boot. I would write a letter thanking security for my quick departure.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Becky was not only in the "Safety Dance" vid, she was the lead singer of Men Without Hats.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Oh boy, the Merc again. Glad I'm late. I would say a small area between my legs is where the worst flooding in town occurs. All the time. Wife is damn sick and tired of doing laundry 4x /day , too. Justin Bieber is now #2 on my List of People I Wanna Fight. John Mayer is holding steady at #1. As for Justin, I feel kinda hesitant about beating up a little girl, but too damn bad.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm not sure about Lawrence but in my yard it's my garden! Half of my plants are in puddles!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

When did style (show) supplant substance in the music industry? Was it the birth of MTV that swung this pendulum? Or was it Elvis? I know Al Gore is somehow responsible.

/Justin Bieber sings like a castrated hamster.

prospector 3 years, 11 months ago

The Kaw. It will put a new high water mark on the Tee Pee.

flux 3 years, 11 months ago

Wasnt Becky in the Safety dance video?

overthemoon 3 years, 11 months ago

I think that would be the comments sections in the JW.....

feetup 3 years, 11 months ago

used to be the underpass in n. law. suppose that's "fixed" now?

BABBOY 3 years, 11 months ago

Wouldn't that be along the river?

fleeba 3 years, 11 months ago

23rd and Ousdahl. & My backyard.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

636 Massachuetts Streeet

that be a special kind of flood

grammaddy 3 years, 11 months ago

19th street between Harper and Barker. Longest stretch of pothole infestation any where. When it rains, the patches just pop back out.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

23rd street in front of Dillons.

final answer