Previous   Next

Would you follow the NBA if there were a team in Kansas City?

Asked at Wayne and Larry’s Sports Bar, 933 Iowa on May 20, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes, I probably would because it would be more local and you get that camaraderie.”

“Not really; I don’t follow baseball or football, and they have both of those teams in Kansas City.”

“I think I would. It’s really hard to get behind the teams that are out there right now, but if there was a team that was local I would be all about that. But then again, I’m not a Chiefs fan, so I can’t explain that.”

“I currently follow the NBA moderately, and my interest (level) probably would not change.”

Comments

mr_right_wing 3 years, 11 months ago

The Royals are struggling... The Chiefs are now struggling too...

The NBA is watching and shaking their heads as they say "NO WAY!!"

Fine by me...we'll just stick to KUBB!!

whats_going_on 3 years, 11 months ago

maybe, but only if they were as successful as the other two...

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 11 months ago

I knew Sikhs let their hair grow out... but is Pompie doing it the right way?

I love how they cropped the photo so we can imagine it going down, like... to his KNEES.

Mike Ford 3 years, 11 months ago

I do follow the NBA, We go to Three OKC Thunder games a year. People here don't like the NBA because it takes KU players away.

distant_voice 3 years, 11 months ago

If Kansas City had an NBA team, it's highly likely they would be in the same class as the Royals and the Chiefs: Bottom Feeders. I probably wouldn't walk across the street to see them if admission was free.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Multi, all I know is you can get a quart of Barton's Vodka for $6.99, but I won't say where.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

Multi...I could care less about that heathenistic pit they call Johnson County....I want that particular company to be distributing down here!!!! In fact, I sent the unnamed distributor a note the other day inquiring about this, telling them that the 130 some miles was a somewhat cumbersome journey for the purpose of a refill.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Awesome memories, Autie! Some great names, too. I seriously was a huge NBA fan in the 70's and eary 80's. I had like 900 trading cards. I remember watching Havlicek's last game. I was pretty young. And all the great 76'ers/Trailblazer playoff games. Just just feel like the players knew a lot more about sportsmanship back then. I wasn't a big Kings fan but I wish I could have gone to some games. As for Kemper Arena, I saw: Journey- 5th row center, Escape Tour 1981 Van Halen-5th row center, Fair Warning Tour 1981 Queen with Billy Squier 1982 Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - 1984 Rush-1982? Rush-1985? Phil Collins-1984? U2-1987 God, I can't remember who else I saw there. I think rock & roll took over the NBA for me at some point.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 11 months ago

Breaking news from the grapevine (okay, many of you know him, lol).

"We've shipped 4 truckloads of (name withheld so this won't be an ad and get pulled..but it's the OTS FAV) to our distributor, (name also withheld). They'll have their crew out on Friday morning (5/21), putting (OTS FAV) on the shelves of your favorite liquor store in Lawrence."

At long last, it's arrived!!!!

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

wild thing...just a generalization of todays athletes across the board..but duly noted.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

spacey, you was talking earlier about Unseld and Sam Lacy....I was amazed when I walked into Kemper and the first thing I saw was a scotch and soda stand...I'm like, WOW, my kind a place. We saw Lacy and Archibald duel it up with Dave Cowens and Havlicek...and I'm thinking JoJo White and Kevin McHale...it was a couple of years ago. They just don't play ball like they did back in those days...back when an offense was more than bring it up, shoot first, pass second, if there is no pass, shoot....and maybe go shoot one of your team mates after the game...or yourself in the club later.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 11 months ago

Snap, I do believe ret is going to need a fruitcake for that one. I thought a chicane was the move I saw in that video I was watching right before my other computer got a virus. It had alternating half crescents too and the move seemed to slow down the action on the straightaway just enough to keep the racers in check.Your description fit pretty well. But you say this is about cars, huh?

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

I was watching a Celtics game the other night. I didn't see John Havlicek. Is he injured?

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Damn you, Ret! I just fell out of my chair!

CreatureComforts 3 years, 11 months ago

Heck yeah. I grew up an NBA fan (in Boston), and always will be. College ball is second.

Go Celtics! 2010 NBA Champs

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

space, Chicane = ½ roundabouts set to make you slow down. Not seen in NASCAR "Deliverance" Ned Beatty butt pirate racing.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Ricky, I wish you hadn't mentioned burnt ends. Now I'm gonna starve to death. Ends are my favorite.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

LOL, Ret! Gotta love ferrets! They should have FASCAR races. "And here comes Pompie, #66, around the chicane!" WTH is a chicane, anyway?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 11 months ago

KC needs to "do" something about the teams we now have. I think if the fan base for baseball and football were stronger, then we'd be more of a "sports" town. Right now: the NBA would do better in OKC than in KC.

riverdrifter 3 years, 11 months ago

I'd take the NBA. OKC had a lot of fun with the Thunder this year until they lost out to the Lakers. They'll be good for years to come with the young players they've got. A well-run NBA franchise would be most welcome. Wouldn't it be a hoot if Michael Jordan moved the Charlotte Bobcats, coached by Larry Brown, to KC? Yowsa!

BABBOY 3 years, 11 months ago

Spacehog is not officially my favorite poster. That dude cracks me up.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

g-rock...it ought to be the Kansas City Barbeques....sauce red jerseys...with spills and drips. the works....then the mascot could be a big spare rib...like in sort of a gumby lookin outfit, but brown and red....the boosters could be called the rib bones..

Ricky_Vaughn 3 years, 11 months ago

I already follow the NBA, but having a team again would be nice. I like the Thunder as well, closest thing to a hometown team and they've got some great, exciting young players.

Contrary to popular opinion, Allen Fieldhouse is not the center of the universe!

g_rock 3 years, 11 months ago

I think the more important question is: what would be the team name and mascot?

Ready, set, G O !!!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

"If Pompie isn't into sports, I wonder why he is in a sports bar?" - CW

Wearing a ferret on your chin is sporting?

Pompie.........oh, nevermind.

CWGOKU 3 years, 11 months ago

No, the NBA is a horrible brand of basketball. I'd give the NHL a try. If Pompie isn't into sports, I wonder why he is in a sports bar? Dyan Cannon was a doll, about 30 years ago.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Dianne Cannon is one of Madonna's Great Granddaughters. She used to bump and grind with Cary Grant.......

Tony Kisner 3 years, 11 months ago

I would show up if Dianne Cannon will be there. Dianne Cannon.......

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

To heck with the NBA, roller derby is the sport of the future.

g_rock 3 years, 11 months ago

I would wonder how much money and attention that may take away from college basketball or in other words, one of Lawrence's number one moneymakers.....KU???

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Yep. Muhammad Day. Oh BTW, Shadow. About 5 minutes ago, I found my dog sniffing at something in the backyard. She found a litter of baby rabbits but wasn't eating them. I figured she would eventually, so I put on a gardening glove, pulled them out of the hole, took them outside the fence, dug a new hole, and covered them. They look about old enough to fend for themselves and I barely have the heart to kill a mouse. True story. Happy? Bet you haven't done anything that productive in a while, you dolt.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

don't be starin at my man. I'll take you narly a outside and beat you a! Oh crap I'm on the wrong one again. oops.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 11 months ago

Spacehog -

Is your avatar today in honor of Draw Mohammed Day?

flux 3 years, 11 months ago

We have the Jayhawks, who needs the NBA?

Donnuts 3 years, 11 months ago

NO, unless somebody wants to bet money on them; I prefer horse racing.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 11 months ago

NBA is awful. It would fail in KC due to KU/KSU/MU/ISU/NU being in close proximity.

"WOW! You people need a life! Quit putting up comments on the ljworld site and go out and make a difference! "

So says the person that commented on the ljw site. These folks never cease to amaze.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 11 months ago

$hit, college b-ball is bad enough, start payin the lowlifes and they turn into a bunch of crybabies, besides who wants to watch a bunch of apes chasing a ball around ?

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Aw damn! I forgot. I'll see if I can put something together.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Anybody remember The Punch? I saw it live on TV. Rudy Tomjanovich's face, traveling about 20 mph, meets Kermit Washington's fist, traveling about 90 mph. The doctor asks Rudy if he has a strange taste in his mouth. Rudy says yes. Doctor says it's spinal fluid. I think they pretty much had to rebuild Rudy's face.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Three keys to the NBA: Run-and Gun, Zero Defense, No Coaching. And you can behave as badly as you want, i.e. Dennis Rodman. I still remember one of Ron Artest's many role-model games when he kept flipping the crowd off and yelling FU the whole game and was cussing Pat Riley out so close to his face I'm sure he was spitting on him. Nope, since Julius Erving, the greatest player of his era, retired I don't think I've watched a whole game. Gotta love Paul Pierce, though.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, Shadow. And don't even mess with Ret. I'll make sure you never play the piano again.

Bill Lee 3 years, 11 months ago

I've had a few friends play in the NBA, and I followed them, but beyond that I've always found NCAA basketball more entertaining. As an alum of both UCLA and KU, I've been able to watch enough good basketall, I don't need an NBA team to follow.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

shadow, I bet you have inclinations to punch 9- year old boys in the face and steal their puppies.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

So that's why Unseld hit Fitzsimmons....we always wondered about that.

To the question: No. NBA sucks....up the court, shot, down the court shot...back and forth. It looks like high level Juco ball.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

No, shadowbox66044, I just need a job. But I'll take your advice. I think I'll go out and spend the day vandalizing stuff and jump off the KAW bridge. I've done it before. I know the water is deep enough today.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

She's so deliciously low. So horribly dirty.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

Remember when the roof fell in at Kemper? More bad advice from dad. I told him once that I liked the design of the building. He says "Yeah, smartass, it's real modern. The roof is made of trampoline material. Just go up there sometime. You'll bounce like a superball". So, one rainy night about 10 of my hoodlum friends and I got really stoned and rode our bikes over to Kemper Arena and climbed up on the roof. We were jumping up and down, laughing our asses off. But none of us actually bounced until we all fell 100 feet and hit the court really hard.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

As part of Draw Mohammed Day, I'm offering this image of Mohammed wearing a kitty-cat mask. =o.o=

Diana Lee 3 years, 11 months ago

I would. I've enjoyed following the Thunder since they came to Oklahoma City.

grammaddy 3 years, 11 months ago

Most definitely! I still follow the Kings.

shadowbox66044 3 years, 11 months ago

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

I remember going to a King's game at Kemper in 1978. We were living in the Fairfax District, my dad was a disgruntled worker at an auto plant there. He used to try and scare me by telling me the KC mob buried bodies under bridges in the Fairfax. I thought it was cool. Anyway, the Kings were playing the Washington Bullets. My dad brought a pint of Wild Turkey and split it with me. The Kings were getting shellacked. Sam Lacy took forever to get anywhere. So my dad got really pissed off and threw the empty liquor bottle at Wes Unseld. Hit him right in his bad knee. Wes thought Cotton Fitzsimmons threw it and ran over and punched him in the mouth. A big brawl broke out. I didn't really see it since I was face down in the aisle throwing up. Anybody remember that game?

Chris Ogle 3 years, 11 months ago

I might .... if the playoffs didn't last 2 years.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

It depends on where it was going. I would follow it to a liquor store. Matt, you're supposed to be at the Merc. It's right across the parking lot.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 11 months ago

How much is our man on the street offering to pay me? Does this include dinner and drinks out, or just pizza and beer at his place? ;p

TopJayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

I would rather have NHL. We have plenty of basketball around here now. It ain't going to happen though. No one is going to cough the money up.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

Maybe. If they let me drive the Zamboni. . .oh, wait . .