Previous   Next

Who was your teen idol growing up?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 17, 2010

Browse the archives

“Marcia Brady. I always liked her personality and thought she was fun.”

“I would have to say Lars Ulrich … he went against the grain.”

“Madonna, because she had all the moves.”

“I couldn’t say, but it’s definitely Prince now.”

Related story

Comments

spacehog 4 years, 7 months ago

l still believe Lady Gaga has all the good amswers. I'm goIng to the shop for my once- in a- year haircut, and I would appreciate any suggestions from anyone..I'm totally rockin' the mullet right now, for Cliff Burton( original bass player for Metallica, RIP, my friend). , gave me the idea. He was so cool! I'm thinking autonomy, as usual. Ignore the media, and keep your mind and body in health. Love to you All!!

labmonkey 4 years, 7 months ago

Actually, Cliff was the second bassist for Metallica. Ron McGovney was the first.

Liberty275 4 years, 7 months ago

l still believe Lady Gaga has all the good amswers.

That's a man, baby.

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

Eddie Haskell from Leave It To Beaver. Whodathunkit?

;-)

grammaddy 4 years, 7 months ago

Definitely not hated!! I, for one, look forward to your posts. Prince is the bomb! I'd have to say Dylan was always my favorite back when he was younger. I haven't listened to his stuff in a while ( at least not on purpose) but I enjoy him whenever I do.

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

Insomniac? Nah, not me. I get 4, sometimes 5 hours of sleep every day! (an hour here, . . .hour there, . . 30 minutes . . .)

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

And hated? You aren't hated! As one former poster might have put it,"Somebody needs to keep the 'biosolids' stirred!" Most of us look forward to your every post!

AnnaUndercover 4 years, 7 months ago

No teen idol worship, here. I was totally oblivious to popular culture until an embarrassingly recent date.

(Someone has to represent for childhood's weird and unpopular crew).

Bill Lee 4 years, 7 months ago

Rick Nelson...he had a great family, amazing talent, a gorgeous wife. I'd have traded places with him with no hesitation. Eventually he had problems, like we all do, but for the most part, his life was good. His children have turned out pretty well, too.

Bill Lee 4 years, 7 months ago

I love his early music and voice. I think in some ways he's become a parody of himself. He sounds more like someone doing a Dylan impression than he sounds like the Bob Dylan I knew and loved. He released his 47th album last year. 47! I don't have time or interest in listening to that many albums by anyone. I have enough of his early stuff to be satisfied. I saw Bob and Tom Petty together at Sandstone back in the 80s. Good show, but I haven't really paid attention to either since then.

grammaddy 4 years, 7 months ago

Oooh Autie! Have you read "Run, Abby, Run". I loved the way he hid in plain sight. Good book. I've got a copy if you are interested.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

not a crush, wanted to be like: Doc Savage.

so glad I got over being so strange! lol!

yeah, if marioni were still with us, his choices would be either Vern Miller or himself!

who's been hatin' on da' Spacehog??? ain no gud.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

forgot to add: of course I am a pig and most men are pigs after all.

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

Right now my hero is JK. They don't pay him enough to put up with . . . . . . us

(do i get a "get outa jail free card" for that one Jonathon?)

dajudge 4 years, 7 months ago

Two hot babes. 1) Sally on the Dick Van Dyke show and 2) Gladys Kravitz on Bewitched. Hot, ho, hot!

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

gladys kravitz???? Sally?
I think your babe-o-meter needs recalibration.

obviously I'm too old for the recent Doc Savage stuff post 2000!

for me, it was cheap paperbacks in the 1970's. his oath:
"Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, that all may profit by it. Let me think of the right and lend all my assistance to those who need it, with no regard for anything but justice. Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage. Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens and my associates in everything I say and do. Let me do right to all, and wrong no man."

maybe Roe posts in his sleep? talent there.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 7 months ago

I remember watching them on t.v. when they had their own show! Good stuff!

mistygreen 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm surprised this one has been mentioned yet. My teen idol was Donny Osmond.

2nd place would be Bobby Sherman

3rd place would be David or Shawn Cassidy.

There I go, showing my age again.

Jim Williamson 4 years, 7 months ago

Yowza. I think she rivaled Julie Newmar as Catwoman for the "Sexy in Mod Leather" crown.

make_a_difference 4 years, 7 months ago

Wasn't into the teen idol thing during my teen years...just never leaned towards "idolizing" anyone or anything. I still don't.

But as a kid...8-11ish... I wanted to be or live like...Honey West & Emma Peel in The Avengers (tv series). I loved seeing strong, independent women...who didn't conform to the norm...in clothing that didn't restrict movement...who could, shall I say, kick butt.

Julie Craig 4 years, 7 months ago

Bobby Sherman. Davy Jones was a close second. Watched the Monkees religiously.

acg 4 years, 7 months ago

When I was a young kid I idolized Wonder Woman. I had WW underoos and I would run around the house deflecting imaginary bullets with my aluminum foil wrist bracelets. Then when I was a young teen I thought for awhile that I would grow up to form the next A Team. Once I hit 15, I stopped idolizing everything and everyone and dove into depressing literature and black clothes. I stayed there for about 6 years and then once I grew up I realized idolizing others was more like idealizing others and its a huge waste of time.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

I also liked the younger officer on 1-adam-12, was that Malloy or the other guy?

yes, Ward Cleaver was a lucky man.
but those boys, boy they were always gettin into mischif and you never knew the hijinx that'd be on a show.

I remember when Wally made hamburgers for himself and the Beave.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 7 months ago

I always wanted to be like Jody Sweeney the middle daughter from Full House..... then I find out that years later she's a recovering Meth addict and think, maybe being me isn't so bad after all.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

a little time at IMDB: Kent Mccord played officer Jim Reed. officer Reed is the character I was referring to above.

igby 4 years, 7 months ago

Can't real say! Perhaps, Hairy, Curly and Mow! I got baptistized in tang early in the 1970's. Had so much tang on my face, I didn't have time to watch tv.