Previous   Next

Will the Kansas City Royals do any better with a new manager?

Asked at Checkers Food Store, 23rd and La. on May 16, 2010

Browse the archives

“No, I just don’t think they’ve got enough good players to play.”

“For about a week.”

“No, they’re always going to suck no matter what.”

“No, it isn’t going to make any difference.”

Comments

Bill Lee 4 years, 7 months ago

Many factors go into who wins a baseball game. The manager is not responsible for all of them, so we'll have to wait and see. I've been a Royals fan too long to ever give up on them. Even when they're losing, they're "my team."

parrothead8 4 years, 7 months ago

A new manager won't make a huge difference over the long haul when you're talking about a team with one of the worst overall collections of talent in the major leagues. Luckily, the Royals have some of the best talent of any team at the AA-level. When guys like Mike Moustakas, Mike Montgomery, Edgar Osuna, and Aaron Crow get to the majors in the next year (or two), the Royals should become much more competitive. Noel Arguelles could turn out to be a nice investment as well. And who knows? I hear Alex Gordon is turning into a heck of an outfielder in the minors, AND that he's starting to finally swing the bat better.

SouthWestKs 4 years, 7 months ago

IMHO, since Glass bought the Royals & is running it like Walmart, they will not be competitive.. Hoping for the best, but not holding my breath..

phoggyjay 4 years, 7 months ago

Until Glass sells this team, it will always be about making money the easy way with a crap team year after year. What a low life, living off revenue sharing. Doesn't Glass have enough money from his walmart days. Pathetic!

dajudge 4 years, 7 months ago

I wonder what optomistic answers we would have gotten if this was asked at The Merc.

"The Royals? I thought they were in England."

Deja Coffin 4 years, 7 months ago

I don't think we'll get anywhere until we get some decent relief pitchers. I'm so tired of seeing us leading the whole game only to lose because we gave up too many runs in the last innings. Here we have by far one of the best pitchers in the league (in my opinion) and the second we take him out of the game, we know we risk losing the game. My husband and his father will be Royals fans until the day they die and I respect that but it has to be heartbreaking to see such disappointments time and time again.

parrothead8 4 years, 7 months ago

I think we need to give Moore another few years. He replaced Allan Baird only days before the 2006 draft, so the 2007 draft was really his first good chance to start getting talent into the system.

Moore's first pick in 2007 was third baseman Mike Moustakas, who most believe is one of the top 5 hitters in the minors right now. In 2008 he took first baseman Eric Hosmer in the first round, and pitcher Mike Montgomery in the supplemental round. Most scouts think Hosmer will make Billy Butler a full-time DH in about two years, and Montgomery is looking like a legit ace right now in the minors. Moore took Aaron Crow first in 2009, and he looks like a solid second or third starter in the majors. Signing Cuban defector Noel Arguelles for far less than what the Reds gave Aroldis Chapman was a stroke of genius.

We need to give Moore's guys a chance to succeed. If his first three drafts (2007, 08, 09) prove to be a bunch of busts at the major league level, then I think he's on the hot seat.

parrothead8 4 years, 7 months ago

Me neither, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. A few good draft picks really can change the course of a franchise for years. Jack Zduriencik was responsible for a series of great drafts in Milwaukee, drafting Prince Fielder, Yovani Gallardo, JJ Hardy, and Ryan Braun, among others. Hopefully Dayton Moore can do the same if he gets the chance.

Besides, we can't expect him to turn around the suckiest team in baseball in just a few years. It's a way bigger project than that.

parrothead8 4 years, 7 months ago

parrothead8 4 years, 7 months ago

danemary 4 years, 7 months ago

OH SURE KC WILL BE BETTER? THEY WILL ONLY LOOSE 99 GAMES THIS SEASON!