Previous   Next

Are you concerned about privacy issues on Facebook?

Asked at La Prima Tazza, 638 Massachusetts on May 15, 2010

Browse the archives

“A little bit, yes. I just don’t think it’s fair to use my personal interests for what could turn into a marketing scheme that I’m not really signed up for.”

“I am more annoyed than I am concerned because if you choose not to link your interests with other personal pages, you can’t personalize your page as much.”

“No, because I like to moderate the information that I make available on Facebook and I try not to depend on Facebook to do that for me.”

“No, not really because I think that everybody should just live so that if everybody else knew everything about them, then everything would be OK.”

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

Privacy! Let me tell you about privacy! I don't even like to have the curtains open after sundown! When I go to the loo I think the dog is looking at me! Last time I was in the hospital they said I would need catheterized. Who did the send in to do it? Not one but two! Two young pretty nurses! One said "You're going to have to relax or this won't go." Relax?! Heysoos Chreest!!! She says"Oh it's okay, we do this all the time." Yeah? Well I don't! Is there a nurse on duty with warts on her nose, say about 75? and blind? Turns out, she's the one that removes it! Yep, walks in around 2AM a couple of days later, reaches under the sheets and gives it a big yank to take it out. Then as she turns away says, "Oh. Sorry to wake you." That's okay, just help me get detached from the ceiling.

Jeez, the hoomilliashun they like to put you through when you get gray hair . . .

I don't do Facebook.

Daniel Speicher 4 years, 7 months ago

I really like George's point of view here. It has kind of been my philosophy as well. Live your life as an open book... Leave nothing to hide. That kind of character and integrity is something missing from society today.

Having said that, I also believe in the right to choose to live a private life. But, I believe Facebook's privacy settings have been modified adequately to deal with the prior privacy breeches, if one would so choose to change them.

--Danny Speicher

grammaddy 4 years, 7 months ago

Not at all.I just don't put down things other people don' need to know.

Glenn Reed 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm confused at the number of people that place themselves under the impression that "privacy policies" on websites are designed to protect the user's privacy.

If you have digital materials (photos, home movies, other things...) that you want to keep private, keep them on hardware in your home. Put it anywhere else, and it's likely to go places you might not want.

There is no "private" place on the internet. There never HAS been a private place on the internet. The idea of privacy has no place on the internet.

The closest it comes to providing "privacy" is temporary shrouds of anonymity for idiots who like to be jerks on web forums.

That being said, I like facebook. If anyone wants to be a farmville neighbor, look me up! :)

Kathy Getto 4 years, 7 months ago

Mori, how are you???? Thanks for the post of rational thinking relative Internet "privacy"!

labmonkey 4 years, 7 months ago

You mean you and Merrill don't spambot each other on facebook?

denak 4 years, 7 months ago

No, there isn't anything on there that needs hiding.

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

I would kill for a Griff's Giant Cheeseburger.

(even if it killed me)

;-)

Kathy Getto 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm with you, Roe - a Griff's burger - mmmmmmmm. The next time we plan a day trip it just might be to Sedalia. Or a trip to Denver the next time we go out to Colorado to see the grandkids!

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

Amazing what you hear . . . . . . ♣at the back door♣

whats_going_on 4 years, 7 months ago

No, I just don't post things that I don't want other people seeing, and I have my privacy settings so that people can only see my name. I'm not even sure if they can see my picture anymore. At least now...I used to be a moron and post stupid stuff on my page. I can only hope that it isn't all over the world by now, but probably is. Ah well, we live and learn.

Kris_H 4 years, 7 months ago

People go on a social networking site and want privacy? I just use Adblock Plus so I don't see whatever they're trying to market to me, and don't allow any apps (not interested in the dumb games anyway). I set all my privacy settings to "friends only" and am careful about who I allow on that list. I recheck all my settings frequently because FB has a sneaky way of adding new stuff that resets some of them.

It's basically an easy way to keep track of what some of my friends and relatives are up to, the ones who bother to post anything anyway. I also network about events, and news of the moronic political world. It can be fun.

You should never post anything anywhere on the internet that you wouldn't post on a billboard on the highway by your mother's house, anyway. :)