Previous   Next

Do you care if Missouri and/or Nebraska leaves the Big 12 Conference?

Asked at Wayne and Larry’s Sports Bar, 933 Iowa on May 13, 2010

Browse the archives

“I think they should stay to keep the rivalries going and keep the competition as it has been for years.”

“Well A, I do care, it would hurt the Big 12, and B, I don’t think it’s going to happen because I don’t think they bring enough to the table to make it interesting to the Big 10.”

“I do care because it would damage the Big 12 as it sits now, but I do think that the Big 10 sees great value in Missouri and Nebraska, prestige-wise and the number of households they’ll bring.”

“I think it would be a shame to break up the conference but I think it’s all about money.”

Comments

TopJayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

I really hope Nebraska stays. Classy program.,,,classy folks. MU? I wish they would just fall off the face of the earth. What a bunch of world class whiners and jerks. Even folks in southern Missouri can't stand them.

KS 3 years, 11 months ago

What's the matter? Is MU getting tired of being beat by KU? Run, chicken, run!

br549 3 years, 11 months ago

How about in the north KU, OU, OKS, KState, NU, Arkansas, In the South, Louisiana, Texas, T Tech, T A&M, Houston, TCU. The Black Cats, Buffalos and Iowa are out. Baylor is out. If it all blows up I think the Oklahoma schools will stick with Texas.
Remember Texas has the following 4 year schools playing football. Lamar, Rice, Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin, Texas State, SMU, Texas A&M Commerce, Abilene Christian, Angelo State, Midwestern State, Tarleton State, Texas A&M Kingsville, West Texas A&M, North Texas Denton, UT San Antonio, UT El Paso,
I won't look up all the enrollments but this is an example. Texas State enrollment 30K Kansas State enrollment 20K. You have probaly never heard of Texas State.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 11 months ago

It would raise the average IQ's of both conferences.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

and spacehog;, I tease about the hippies...fact is back in those mid 70's, I was a regular bona fide bong-a-fide free state opera house ranger. And I let that long hair cover up my red neck...

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

spacehog, daughter noticed caps at wheatfields...but chef hat wasn't the her conclusion on what they....well, just let that one fade.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

autie, Just connecting Yello Sub to Glen Beck in 2, 3 if you are a technically picky person.

Just saying...

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

I love you, Autie! Just remember, Glenn is only pretending he's crazy, a-hole that he is. I'm a huge fan of Wheatfield's too. Don't they make them wear those stupid chef's hats there? I always thought the Merc smells like hippies crotches. Well, I need to get downstairs and get on the ham radio so I can listen to NPR.

Kyle Neuer 3 years, 11 months ago

If MU leaves, KU should follow, just so we can continue humiliating them.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

support Glenn Beck? AM radio? Jeezzzus....I just ate my french bread from Wheatfields slathered with honey goat cheese from the Merc...makes me feel like I'm dripping patchouli....good stuff but that Merc smells like..uh..hippies? I'd rather be a goat cheese, french bread eaten hippie than support Glenn ahHeck.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 11 months ago

KC Star, Wilbur. Just read it this morning. He doesn't think either are leaving for 24 months.

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 11 months ago

What does Lew think about this matter? Where is the interview with Lew?

Bill Lee 3 years, 11 months ago

I don't care what any of them do. There will be fuss and turmoil, and the dust will settle. KU will still play football, and if they win enough games will go to a bowl. Basketball is still the cash cow.

whats_going_on 3 years, 11 months ago

I wouldn't mind. I hate Missouri. Playing them used to be somewhat fun, but a**holes on both sides make it miserable. I don't want them coming here, and I could care less about going there. People have gotten too obsessed over it. I half expect another full out Quantrail-like raid most of the time we play them between the fans. Ugh.

CWGOKU 3 years, 11 months ago

Heck no I would not mind! See you Missouri and don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out. The only thing MU brings to the table is whining. Arkansas would be a better school to have in the conference. I would hate to see Nebraska go, but I would get over it in a minute or two.

puddleglum 3 years, 11 months ago

actually, it is Texas that the big 10 wants....even though the geography makes no sense, they want that texas country-sized tv-contracts for all of their schools.

irvan moore 3 years, 11 months ago

We cannot compete on a financial level if the Texas schools leave, TV revenue will go down the tubes. (yes, i know tvs don't have tubes anymore) I can't believe that the Journal world isn't covering the front page of the sports section with this everyday. It is probably the biggest sports story to hit the conference in years. I also think KU (that would be spelled Lou) must be working like crazy behind the scenes to get a deal for themselves with another conference. The first to leave will get the prime deal, everbody left will just be deserting a sinking ship. Please JW, get on this story.

Tony Kisner 3 years, 11 months ago

KU should be pro-active on this and join the Big Sky. We got plenty of open sky plus kicking a little Lumberjack tail would be nice, real nice. I hate the stupid Lumberlacks.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

I wouldn't mind losing Missouri, but Nebraska is my favorite team.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

I agree with Ret. Get rid of the Texas teams and go back to the Big 8. And give Dave Biss his job back at Oklahoma. Yeah......

edjayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

All this speculation and rumor with no official dialog on the matter. I have yet seen an article, blog, sports talk show, that has ammo to back up conference realignments. And absolutely no AD has came out to talk about it.

Danimal 3 years, 11 months ago

I don't think NU is going to leave the Big 12, Mizzou might though. I'm honestly not going to waste anymore time on the conference smash-up discussions because no one knows what will happen, or when it will happen. All I know is that big money always wins. This is just another reason for me to hate the Big 10.

Mary Sucha 3 years, 11 months ago

The Huskers are headed to the big10/11. I think the main reason is the money, but I also think they believe the big 12 is in for some real turmoil which will lead to the eventual breakup of the conference and they want to be proactive not reactive. Sounds like Texas is going to start the "Longhorn Network", and when this happens the big 12 is toast.

BABBOY 3 years, 11 months ago

I would prefer to keep the same. It would be odd to not have NU in the same conference.

I really do not care about MU. They are punks.

I am KSU fan so my feels to MU is not so much as rivalry but as finding them lacking in sportsmanship.

Jim Williamson 3 years, 11 months ago

“I do care because it would damage the Big 12 as it sits now, but I do think that the Big 10 sees great value in Missouri and Nebraska, prestige-wise and the number of households they’ll bring.”

You do know Nebraska has a grand total of 293 TVs, right? And does St. Louis really hold that much allure? It can't be KC. KC is clearly a Kansas town.

Fail.

tolawdjk 3 years, 11 months ago

Once the feeding frenzy starts, the Big 12 will be doomed. Pac-10 is going to yank Colorado. If Notre Dame doesn't go to the Big 10 for football, that puts Nebraska or Missouri on the dinner table. Strangely Missouri feels like a better fit for them.

If the feeding stops there, the Big 12-2 might make it. However, if Texas jumps to the SEC rather than staying in a reduced conference, it will precipitate the rest of the Texas schools to jump.

Just not enough left over after that to form any kind of meaningful conference.

prospector 3 years, 11 months ago

They could call it something catchy like the Big 10. Nebrasky can bite it.

Rex Russell 3 years, 11 months ago

Keep Nebraska. Chuck Missouri. Invite Arkansas

Alfred_W 3 years, 11 months ago

If we lost two schools, we could change our name to the Big 10, except that name's already taken by a league with (go figure) eleven schools....

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

Yello Sub, that cool hip happening bastion of Lawrence, Kansas was the starting point of Planet Sub. Planet Sub underwrites WIBW 580AM. WIBW hosts the Glen Beck Program.
Eat Yello Sub, support Glen Beck.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 11 months ago

I really wouldn't care if Missouri left the union.

g_rock 3 years, 11 months ago

Well, at least Joe College is already closed. They would lose money on the Missouri t-shirts not selling as well...

But for some odd reason I'm craving another lost Lawrence landmark now....Joe's bakery donuts...hmmmm.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

I didn't know there were any glaziers left...kind of becoming a lost art form.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

We could call it the Big 8.

Sure Has A Nice Ring To It....

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

Just where would Batman be without the Riddler and the Joker? Yes, if the Big 12 is to lose something, let it be the teams from that foreign country south of Oklahoma.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 11 months ago

I say we kick out Baylor, Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech, Rice can go back to playing Texas