Previous   Next

Would you patronize a pedal-powered pub crawling vehicle in downtown Lawrence?

Asked at Kansas Union, 1301 Jayhawk Blvd. on May 11, 2010

Browse the archives

“I think that would be a lot of fun to use, to travel between bars downtown.”

“Yes, I would because I think it’s fun and convenient.”

“Yes, I think it’s a good idea, it’s fun and would probably make a lot of money.”

“No, depending on how much it cost, I think it’s better just to go by yourself.”

Related story

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

no . .ossifer, i'm the degisnated drinker.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 7 months ago

hey! I'm fat and I just used the parking garage last weekend. even parked on the top floor and used the stairs. There were two very nice men at the top smoking a fat joint and making a wonderful aroma all over the stairwell. it was a nice day.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

Can't you get busted for pedeling under the influence?

Jay_lo 4 years, 7 months ago

Why when I was young we didn't have no such thing as pedal power. I crawled out of many a pubs on my own, uphill both ways!!

Calliope877 4 years, 7 months ago

Why when I was young we had to walk 10 miles in the snow to get drunk....

ozzynbn 4 years, 7 months ago

Gammons was a good club. Used to go there a-long-time-ago.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 7 months ago

Horus..now that dude has an interesting life. it's like Jesus, but much earlier.

lastcall4oh 4 years, 7 months ago

Also on Alan Parsons Project album, "Eye in the Sky"

Bill Lee 4 years, 7 months ago

I don't drink downtown very often. When I do, I don't go to another bar. I go home.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 7 months ago

this comment sponsored by Dos XX. Stay thirsty my friend.

januarygirl 4 years, 7 months ago

NOT A GOOD IDEA AT ALL!!!!!!! THERE IS ENOUGH OF A PROBLEM WITH BIKES. I HAVE SEEN SO MANY PARKED CARS IN DOWN TOWN LAWRENCE BACKING OUT OF PARKING SPOTS AND THE BIKER NOT EVEN WATCHING FOR THIS AND A ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN. I DON'T THINK BIKES OF ANY KIND SHOULD BE PERMITTED ON THE BLOCKS BETWEEN 6TH AND MASS. AND 11TH ST. AND MASS. PARKED C ARS ON BOTH SIDES OF STREET IN THE DOWNTOWN PART OF MASS. IS SO DANGEROUS FOR THE BIKES. I HAD A GUY ON A SKATE BOARD IN FRONT OF ME LAST WEEK IN THE MIDDLE OF MASS. BETWEEN 8TH AND 9TH ST. AND DIDN'T CARE. WASN'T PAYING ANY ATTENTION TO THE CAR BACKING OUT OF PARKING. THE DRIVER OF THE CAR SAW HIM JUST IN TIME TO AVOID AN ACCIDENT . THE SKATEBOARDER WAS NOT IN THE DRIVERS LINE OF VISION. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE BEFORE SOMEONE GETS KILLED, AND ITS NOT ALWAYS THE DRIVER OF THE CARS FAULT.

Kontum1972 4 years, 7 months ago

Ole' Ashley......Aye carumba chula...!

Jay_lo 4 years, 7 months ago

Apologies to Roger Miller

Sitting on a pedi-bar with the rest of the guys, six blocks pedaled and I pedaled five! Dang me, dang me the motorists on Mass. want to hang me...

BigPrune 4 years, 7 months ago

The people that say they support this idea, will most likely not ride it. It's kind of like the people who want a vegetarian restaurant in town that they'll never visit, or a grocery store in north Lawrence that never got any business, or even Drake's downtown - they brought it back and nobody went there.

dajudge 4 years, 7 months ago

A little bird told me it would not be a good idea.

BigPrune 4 years, 7 months ago

I called the cops on you one day a few years ago. Of course, trying to explain it to dispatch was a little different. That thing is dangerous. Driving it on Wakarusa is stupid dude. Nice fro BTW. Is that a wig?

BigPrune 4 years, 7 months ago

puddleglum 4 years, 7 months ago

still waiting for a new dragstrip out west here....then downtown can do whatever they want.

50YearResident 4 years, 7 months ago

Sure, and bring in a camel and an elephant for people to ride that don't want to peddle. But I don't know what to do with the rest of the circus!

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

what? no all-knowing wisdom from merrill? no cut-and-pasties?

just briefly: merrill promotes nude biking. so, he should be incharge of making the pedicab into a "nude biking experience.
might improve its popularity!

or ... not.

somedude20 4 years, 7 months ago

LJW has been promoting this dude and the other dude who bikes people around (forgot his name but it is a buck a block) a hell of a lot in the last few weeks. Makes me wonder if these dudes have a connection to the LWJ. Anyway, I believe that the "bar bike" costs around a $120 an hour to rent plus the customer does the bulk of the work. Does not sound like fun for me

Stuart Evans 4 years, 7 months ago

knowing Shane (the other dude), he isn't in the least affiliated with LJW. no idea on this feller.

BigPrune 4 years, 7 months ago

Doesn't the LJW have an affiliation with Geeks on Wheels? I think that answers that.

flux 4 years, 7 months ago

Space Hog just broke the record for the most comments on one thread and for the most comments no one actually read.

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

Awwwww . . .spacehog has a new fan...

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

spacehog (anonymous) says…

LOL, bearded_gnome! I think I saw him the other day. He was riding a beach cruiser with no seat. He had a big smile on his face.

---big smile, well, okay then!

motorized barstool? must the participants in the race be predrunk to enter?

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

I would not ride it, To a bar. I would not ride it, Very far.

I would not ride it, Down the street, Nor pedal it. With my two feet.

But I would call up, All of my buds, To watch you pedal, And drink your suds.

We wouldn't want, To miss the crash, When that big SUV Runs over your A$$.

~RoeDapple~

flux 4 years, 7 months ago

RoeDapple comment # 4961 Most comments of all time nobody has read

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

Wrongo, flux! (I go back and read them all the time!)

ozzynbn 4 years, 7 months ago

I know many of you on here are Dyan fans, but I'll take a Croce song over a mumbling Dylan song any day.

somedude20 4 years, 7 months ago

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

Hey space hell yeah! Dylan definitely near top of the list, but lean a little more toward Jim Croce myself. Having a brother who is an entertainer/musician makes me a little leery of them all. My problem though, not necessarily theirs. The dog needs a rest though, how's this?

Back in my drinkin' an' carousin' days I got jumped by three guys. Trouble was I was sober and they weren't. Took them a while to get over it.

(Too damn brittle anymore for that though!)

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

And I did get severely trounced by one guy once. Felt like he had six fists and four feet all wailing on me at the same time. That's when I figured out I'm not a fighter

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

Wow, 5 comments deleted so far on an OTS column? Zombie apocalypse must be coming sooner than expected!

somedude20 4 years, 7 months ago

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

Wow, every time I come back another one has bit the dust! You may have something there R_I. Heading for the bunker asap

Flap Doodle 4 years, 7 months ago

R_I, I didn't know that. I'd heard that the Clinton people sat around with a gun magazine and picked out the features they considered to be scary and used that list to write the law. What a pack of salad-eaters!

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

Funny how the anti-gun party is responsible for the years of highest sales of guns. On the not funny side, they get prices skyrocketing in the process.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm stocking up on pointy sticks, just in case.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

Roe, that was great work sir! very LOL.
maybe we should totally rewrite green eggs and ham for the pedicab.

yes, this thread was originally some derned question about the pedicab thingy.

I'm wondering about the "training" for the driver, I mean do they use a high-tech simulator with simulated drunks vomiting and throwing things and speaking offensive words? programming, programming!

wth happened to mr. flux. did he get his psych meds from that nigerian pharmacy again?

and amazing how many posts got swept out a this thread!

Jay_lo 4 years, 7 months ago

spacehog (anonymous) says… Okay, let's back up. I've been following this thing, but someone explain it to me. Are we talking about 16 different pedicabs, a "bicycle built for 16", or one guy pedaling 16 people

This might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LWc3a...