Previous   Next

From a salary standpoint, what would you say a stay-at-home mom is worth?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on May 9, 2010

Browse the archives

“$65,000”

“In my day, they weren’t worth very much.”

“$50,000, at least.”

“40 to 50 thousand.”

Comments

beatrice 3 years, 11 months ago

Maybe Irish Oak was just telling Autie to go to Michigan: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/2456

puddleglum 3 years, 11 months ago

ah, it is never a party until someone gets some disappeardededdeeiddydied action.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 11 months ago

So I got disapepepepeperererereed because I pointed out Oak is Irish?

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

boy, sure am glad nobody told me to go to some other place that is really hot in their make believe minds. I might have been offended.

DmpdAgn 3 years, 11 months ago

Vaughn...... 41 years of dedication should be worth more than silence when the husband just decides to start a new life in his golden years.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 11 months ago

Adrienne Sanders 3 years, 11 months ago

Depends. Does she interact with the kids and give them activities that enrich their minds, or plop them in front of the TV? Does she cook or buy crappy fast food and other junk? Some parents are not worth much and some are priceless.

Ricky_Vaughn 3 years, 11 months ago

I wish I could tell my lady she didn't have to work...I just can't afford to!

DmpdAgn 3 years, 11 months ago

Once the husband grows bored with her she's worth nothing, regardless of the years she dedicated to multiple tasks.

whats_going_on 3 years, 11 months ago

lol @ Shorty Yost's comment...wth?

Katara 3 years, 11 months ago

Ah, Mothers' Day. Perfect timing to stir up the divisions between the SAHM & the working mother. What better way to celebrate motherhood by making both "sides" feel like crap?

amazed 3 years, 11 months ago

Nothing. The rest of us have to work AND do everything the "stay at home mom" has to do. So from a salary standpoint, they are worth absolutely nothing.

Leslie Swearingen 3 years, 11 months ago

amesn 3 years, 11 months ago

@907....I">p>@907....I hope too they ask that question since like Shewmon my husband is a stay at home dad for our 2 young young children while mama brings home the bacon! He is not like your typical husband that's for sure...it took some training but he is very domestically inclined! Even makes cakes and casseroles! I think he's priceless :)

ShePrecedes 3 years, 11 months ago

I think they are worth about $60,000 per year. But with the pay discrepancies between men's pay and women's pay, still present in this day and age, with women earning 75 cents to men's earned dollar, she will mostly likely get around or less than $40,000 for it.

9070811 3 years, 11 months ago

I hope they ask on Father's Day, "How much do you think a say at home dad is worth?".

edjayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Especially when you have an absentee Father.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 11 months ago

Ask any kid who grew up with mom right at home, vs. someone who grew up among strangers and/or staff. It goes far beyond a mere financial amount.

Mom, you are the ESSENTIAL (not optional) ingredient to your kids turning out right.

bobberboy 3 years, 11 months ago

Depends on how good they are.

Leslie Swearingen 3 years, 11 months ago

Not a dammed cent! Being a mother is not a job, those people are family!

beatrice 3 years, 11 months ago

Anyway, happy mothers' day Tom.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm a stay-at-home mother of a 5 year old, a 2 year old, and 35 weeks pregnant....... I have days where I just want to pull my hair out and feel like my kids have been replaced by aliens but I worked 60+ hour weeks before at a decent paying job and I wouldn't give this up for anything. The reward of getting to be there with my kids everyday and see them grow and make memories is priceless to me. I won't always be a stay-at-home mother but for now I am enjoying it! There are a lot of single parents out there who don't have this opportunity. They work their butts off and come home to a house that they've got to run all by themselves, those are the real heroes in my eyes.

spacehog 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm not rich and don't have a bunch of toys like Shewman. In Lawrence, I'd say $8.50/hr, about what most jobs in this town pay. I'm a stay-at-home husband. I pay myself with drugs. But my mom is priceless. I can't imagine raising kids like my brother and me. I love you Mom!

edjayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

It finally comes out as to why Shewmon is a Republican. His family has a net worth of $1,000,000. He was one of the few who benefited from Reagan's tax cuts for the rich.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 11 months ago

"ask Shewmon, he knows." -autie

Jealous? I'm worth more at home to a wife who knocks down half a mil. a year. Besides, I do some work from home----wife who is gone 50-75% of weekdays, big house, two teenagers, two dogs, 10 acres, 4 cars, a boat, huge yard, portfolio to manage, bills to pay, renovating/upkeep, chauffering, appointment scheduling, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, getting kid in college, helping with homework and the list goes on-----I'm guessing I'm worth about $75k at a minimum. All that and I have a college degree and 20 plus years of corporate experience. I feel pretty lucky.

Are libs on this forum not into diverse and changing roles? If not, how closed-minded.

pagan_idolator 3 years, 11 months ago

My mom was a stay at home mom at times and a working mom at times. Either way she worked her tail off. I love you Mom!

looza 3 years, 11 months ago

If your child grows up, graduates HIGH SCHOOL, then graduates COLLEGE, or joins the military, then gets a job where they pay taxes, contributes to society and doesn't end up in prison then give mom 5 million. Right now there are too many moms not doing their jobs and kids are failing/dropping out of school, kiling each other, not working a meaningful job and not contributing to society only to crime stats and prison populations. Next..........

edjayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Any amount higher then what a person makes on Wall Street is appropriate.

independant1 3 years, 11 months ago

misterlee wins, who gave you the answer to the trick question?

worth? Unhappily, nobody will pay them what they're "worth". I guess those mom's will just have to settle for what the market will bear.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

Uh, oh. Sounds like somebody didn't think they needed a prenup . .

Richard Heckler 3 years, 11 months ago

Millions upon miliions is more like it over the long haul.

It's easily an 80 hour work week.

Add homeschooling to the mix then the dollar signs begin to really add up.

As I see it children never forget wonderful Moms = Moms work is never done it's just part of the deal. Then again what would someone expect. After all moms nurture children for the first nine months pretty much single handedly.... how could any child forget about their Mom's?

Kiana Griffin 3 years, 11 months ago

By the time you take into account her numerous jobs (housekeeper, day care center teacher, cook, facilities manager, van driver, CEO, psychologist, etc), it really adds up!

MSN estimates over $138,000. http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/RaiseKids/ThePriceOfAMom.aspx

Gabe Hoffman 3 years, 11 months ago

So the real answer is, "these fools don't know nothing" about worth

Donnuts 3 years, 11 months ago

Wow, $65,000? 40 to 50,000? 50,000 at least? What the hell are your salaries? I hardly know what to comment on that. I know they are worth a bit to hold a house together but goodness. I would have to say that depends on the household income. 45% of total income of house. Depending on how many others including minors are in household.