Previous   Next

Would you pay $12 for a cup of coffee?

Asked at La Prima Tazza, 638 Massachusetts on May 4, 2010

Browse the archives

“I would not. I am not a picky coffee drinker. I like a black cup of coffee and I drink a lot of it, so I can’t afford a $12 cup of coffee.”

“Absolutely not. I can get a good cup of coffee for a buck-fifty. That’s good enough.”

“I would not … that is absurd, and I try to spend as little as I can on coffee because it’s probably not the best thing for me as it is.”

“No, I would not because I can’t afford it and you can get coffee that’s really good for way cheaper than that.”

Comments

spacehog 4 years, 7 months ago

Sure. Coffee and bourbon in a 32oz. mug. And hold the coffee.

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

See just when I'm about to say "H#LL NO!!" spacehog comes through with a good reason to say"Oh, yeah!"

grammaddy 4 years, 7 months ago

No! I don't buy that over-priced Starbucks crap either.I prefer to make mine at home so I can put whatever I like in it, usually a good shot of Bailey's Irish Cream.Speaking of Irish, where's she been?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 7 months ago

If Jessica Alba brought it to me, sure.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 7 months ago

Nope..... I'd have to write a check, and my account is getting low. (only 4 checks left)

Stuart Evans 4 years, 7 months ago

right on Sarah. who needs all that cream and crap to ruin a good cup of joe

ohseriously 4 years, 7 months ago

What could a $12 cup of coffee taste like? I am imagining pure gold, nectar of gods, life changing event!

somedude20 4 years, 7 months ago

Not even if the Asian Palm Civet ate the coffee berries and freshly squeezed "it" right in front of me

A civet eats the berries for their fleshy pulp. In its stomach, proteolytic enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and more free amino acids. Passing through a civet's intestines the beans are then defecated, having kept their shape. After gathering, thorough washing, sun drying, light roasting and brewing, these beans yield an aromatic coffee with much less bitterness, widely noted as the most expensive coffee in the world.

Kopi luwak is produced mainly on the islands of Sumatra, Java, Bali and Sulawesi in the Indonesian Archipelago, and also in the Philippines (where the product is called motit coffee in the Cordillera and kape alamid in Tagalog areas) and also in East Timor (where it is called kafé-laku). Weasel coffee is a loose English translation of its name cà phê Chồn in Vietnam, where popular, chemically simulated versions are also produced.

Julie Craig 4 years, 7 months ago

Nick - New question ideas:

• Which character do you most identify yourself with from "That 70's Show?"
  • What would you request for your last meal on earth?
  • What's your favorite game show of all time?

Just sign me - Dennis's mom

Deja Coffin 4 years, 7 months ago

TOB, that game show must be on Cinemax after I've already gone to bed.... I haven't seen it.

Mary Darst 4 years, 7 months ago

Andy Griffith, isn't that everyone's fav show. What autie said about the coffee. Last meal? Well, steak with Ranch dressing, fried potatoes and a big piece of chocolate cake. Oh, and a bag of potato chips.

Kat Christian 4 years, 7 months ago

Where are $12 cups of coffee? Tell me so I won't visit or move there.

Shane Rogers 4 years, 7 months ago

Hehe...that depends.

Does it come with Half and Half?

;-)

pace 4 years, 7 months ago

One the right morning. I would hope I would get refills.

ms_canada 4 years, 7 months ago

Well now, that is a lot to pay but it depends on a lot of things. Who will share the time with me? Where will we be drinking it? Venice would be nice! Or up on Maccho Picchu. And if George Clooney would join me I would gladly pay $24 for 2 cups. No kidding I would pay a lot for a really good cuppa. Just bought a Keurig brewer, anyone know this machine? Makes one cup at a time and makes the bestest coffee in less than 60 seconds, believe me. Not quite $12 per cup though.

ms_canada 4 years, 7 months ago

George Clooney has the sweetest smile........, who would not pay to watch him sip a java.

ms_canada 4 years, 7 months ago

Good gracious me, just looked out the window. We are in the midst of a hellish snow storm. May the 4th and snow and wind and blizzard. I hate this country. Made a big mistake coming here.

Ceallach 4 years, 7 months ago

Not even going to let you know that we are supposed to hit 80 today :)

Deja Coffin 4 years, 7 months ago

At least you've got some Tim Horton's coffee to keep you warm... I heard that stuff is really good.

ms_canada 4 years, 7 months ago

spacehog, they are not the same plant.. I have had coca leaves to chew. where you might ask. At Cuzco, high in the Andes. At that altitude you chew the leaves to help get more oxygen into your blood. The coca plant does not produce coffee beans.

ms_canada 4 years, 7 months ago

broadpaw 4 years, 7 months ago

spacehog, every comment of yours on this thread was an entertaining read. :)

broadpaw 4 years, 7 months ago

Does any place in/near Lawrence dare to sell a cup of coffee this expensive? Elitist snobs.

ms_canada 4 years, 7 months ago

Yeh, high in the andes, the only way to go. Hey, fella, there is no need to hate coffee, It can be made good. You just have not met the right cup yet. Hey, if I came back to larryville, I could make you a good cuppa and you could fix me up some of that good stuff and we could sort of pretend that we are high in the andes. Lot of pretending needed, I think, since Kansas is so doggone flat. Something like Alberta, but maybe with no snow today. Yikes, I hate this place.

Liberty275 4 years, 7 months ago

I'll stick with Z's breve latte and the pretty girls that make them. All for less than $6.

jehovah_bob 4 years, 7 months ago

I've got a better deal than $12 coffee. I'll sell you a swift kick in the a$$ for 9.

PM me for details.

Ceallach 4 years, 7 months ago

Ran into my favorite coffee stop this morning, espresso machine was broken, replacement hasn't arrived yet . . . no time to go anywhere else . . . I'm going to have to drink "office coffee" . . . gotta tell ya, I might have paid 12 bucks then and there . . . but it was not in the cards for today :-

bruno2 4 years, 7 months ago

Now there's a role model, Keith 'The Lizard' Richards. Hard to tell if the guy is alive or dead...

Ceallach 4 years, 7 months ago

Happy I was able to make you feel better about yourself. Proof positive that no matter how messed up one may be, there is always someone else in worse shape.

Now I feel really bad about myself . . . thanks alot!

ms_canada 4 years, 7 months ago

ceallach - my dear old friend - how are you? I am worried about the chipmunks. there is now 6, that is 6 inches of snow on the patio table since this morning. How are the little dears going to find the sunflower seeds. Zeke does clear a place on the patio for them, but they will have to tunnel their way to the patio to get the seeds. Poor wee mites.

Ceallach 4 years, 7 months ago

They are really cute, but I think they are also smart, so I'm betting they will survive just fine.

ms_canada 4 years, 7 months ago

can anyone tell me how I can get a picture by my name. I have looked this site over and over and can see no instructions for that particular action. I would be much obliged.

Ceallach 4 years, 7 months ago

You need to go to your profile and use the Edit option. At the bottom of the profile information boxes there is an Avatar box where you can browse your computer and upload an image. Hope that helps.

nnelson 4 years, 7 months ago

Ceallach has it right. The page you're looking for should be here:

Nick Nelson LJWorld.com Web Producer

denak 4 years, 7 months ago

Never say never.

The reason most people won't pay $12 for a cup of coffee is because there is a ready supply. Take away that supply and most people will.

I never thought I would pay $10 for a pint of ice cream but when I was in Saudi Arabia during Desert Storm, the little Baskin Robbins truck came around once a month. It only had 3 or 4 flavors and the man sold pints for $10 and you can better believe he had one heck of a line.

Dena:0)

ms_canada 4 years, 7 months ago

thank you ceallach - I did it. This my alter ego. My crossword buddy, Rusty. He loves doing crosswords as much as I do. He also loves getting into a lot of trouble. But I love him just the same.

Pat Long 4 years, 7 months ago

$12 dolla will get you a pound of good beans at Z's or the Merc. The world is a safer place after I've had my 16 oz. of goodness in the morning.

independant1 4 years, 7 months ago

$12 for a cup of jo, sure if it came with a massage (and free compliment)

Ceallach 4 years, 7 months ago

Thank you, Nick Nelson, four of my favorite words, "Ceallach has it right" :)