Previous   Next

When was the last time you used a pay phone?

Asked at Community Merc, 901 Iowa on May 3, 2010

Browse the archives

“I used a pay phone probably about 11 months ago when I was studying abroad in Europe.”

“It’s been at least 10 years, fourth grade.”

“Fifth grade. I probably called my parents.”

“At least three or four years. It was probably after a gig in Topeka to call my wife.”

Related story

Comments

ivalueamerica 4 years, 9 months ago

It has been longer since I used the word "reckon" than it has been since I used a pay phone.

gccs14r 4 years, 9 months ago

Last time I was overseas and AT&T didn't activate international roaming like I told them to.

headdoctor 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't know what this has to do with pay phones but in any event I am glad you were able to enjoy a family reunion while mushroom hunting.

nnelson 4 years, 9 months ago

Hi The_Original_Bob. We're always open for suggestions. Just send them on over to editor@ljworld.com and we'll take a look.

Nick Nelson LJWorld.com Web Producer

whats_going_on 4 years, 9 months ago

The people that go to the Merc probably got cell phones at age 4? When was the last time you actually saw the people who go there...

Flap Doodle 4 years, 9 months ago

I called my cuzin to let him know the Kaiser had died.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 4 years, 9 months ago

We pay for all phones! We pay them to keep track of our lives! We pay big bro to keep us down!~)

whats_going_on 4 years, 9 months ago

somebody has quite an ego today/chip on his shoulder.

Did you also walk uphill to your one-room schoolhouse, barefoot, in the snow, carrying your chalkboard?

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 9 months ago

You can tell that guy in NYC didn't read any of those how-to-build-a-bomb books. He's definitely from the 'burbs. Using M-80's and a bunch of wires in a gun box of non-explosive fertilizer. I bet he watched Star-Trek and had a tricorder.

Most anyone I know who grew up in small town Kansas and worked on a farm could have constructed something more sophisticated.

Chrissy Neibarger 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm not over 40 and most of that applies to me.. (does 37 count? lol) I try to tell my kids how good they have it, but there is no way to convince them.. It reminds me of the "walking 20 miles in the snow to school" stories that my grandparents told me. Sad to see the payphones go. It was always a nice thing to carry around a dime in the shoe for "emergencies"...

Romans832 4 years, 9 months ago

I called my sister from the Oklahoma City Greyhound bus station twice, March 2009. She picked me up there after the Thursday and Friday games of the Big 12 women's basketball tournament.

mom_of_three 4 years, 9 months ago

Its been several years now.
A better question would be - when is the last time you saw a pay phone on campus?

grammaddy 4 years, 9 months ago

Tried to use the one outside the train station when my train arrived back in Lawrence, it wasn't working.

labmonkey 4 years, 9 months ago

TOB....yea, our school got Apple IIe's when I was in third grade. I remember learning cursive and being graded on it.....seems such a waste considering I can write faster and neater by printing.

Although Spacehog's rant was probably written while he was profusely sweating and having chills at the same time, I do pine for when not everyone had a cell phone, we went to the pool every day in the summer as kids, and there was no such thing as a "heat day" at school (and we didn't even have air conditioning). We liked it when the parents would come in with a big thing of ice water for us to drink in class.

Denny2009 4 years, 9 months ago

Last time I tried to use a payphone the digits and actual phone were covered with a sticky substance. Absolutely filthy.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 9 months ago

The last time I used a pay phone was over ten years ago, to help out a woman who didn't know what to do! She was all alone in the rain and locked out of her car. So I called 911, and made it sound like a serious emergency.

The locksmith showed up in very short order!

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 9 months ago

'Oregon Trail' is a computer game, I've played it. It's a LOT more complex than Pong, you stock up on supplies by either buying them or picking them as you "travel west" on the Oregon Trail. It's based upon historical records, and is pretty interesting, actually.

You stop by variious forts and emcampments, and sometimes encounter hostile Indians. You get diseases, and can die of them.

I never did manage to make it all the way, you can starve to death or die of disease, then a big R.I.P. tombstone comes up, and you lost.

But what I don't understand, is where your reference to 'Oregon Trail' came from! But I'm pretty sure that's the computer game you're referring to.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 9 months ago

Can't remember the last time I saw one...

Newell_Post 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't remember exactly, but it was sometime before the turn of the century........ The nineteenth century that is....

snoozey 4 years, 9 months ago

1999 - I called Tank to let him know Morpheus was in trouble..

independant1 4 years, 9 months ago

The last time - can't remember

do remember the old pay phone at bowling alley with nickel/dime/quarter slots at top drop a nickel in, hit coin return plunger real quick and bong get dial tone + nickel back

free call, great sport

note to space - no, not your kind of bong