Previous   Next

What is the best roller coaster you have been on?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 28, 2010

Browse the archives

“The Zambezi Zinger at Worlds of Fun. I don’t think it’s there anymore. It had this really huge drop.”

“Shock Wave, Six Flags Over Texas. It’s a double loopty-loop; I lost my glasses.”

“Space Mountain, Disneyland. I was 7. I wore glasses and I had to take them off, so I couldn’t see any of it. It was horrible.”

“The Rattler from San Antonio, Texas, a wooden roller coaster. You think it’s going to break around every turn and it just shakes you a new world.”

Related story

Comments

buteaa 4 years, 8 months ago

Uh.... Mine would have to be this one...

Top Thrill Dragster is a steel, hydraulically-launched roller coaster located at Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, Ohio (same owners own worlds of fun).

It was the first "Strata Coaster," (a complete circuit coaster that is over 400 feet tall) and is one of only 2 stratacoasters in existence, the other being Kingda Ka (2005) at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey.

t was built by Intamin AG and debuted to the public on May 4, 2003. When Top Thrill Dragster first debuted, it set three new records:

* Tallest coaster
* Fastest top speed of any coaster
* Steepest drop on a roller coaster

Height 420 ft (130 m) Drop 400 ft (120 m) Length 2,800 ft (850 m) Max speed 120 mph (190 km/h) Acceleration 0 to 120 mph (0 to 193 km/h) in 3.8 seconds Duration 17 sec.

Official Top Thrill Dragster POV in HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbN3NU...

ohjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Milennium Force at Cedar Point (Top Thrill Dragster was not running last time I was there. So, I haven't tried that one yet)

grammaddy 4 years, 8 months ago

What's the phobia against roller coasters called?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

That would be I-80 between Joliet and Gary a few years ago, a road that would make a pack mule queasy.

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

the 2009-2010 Kansas Mens Basketball Season.

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

wow grammaddy you hit the jackpot!

What phobia is the fear of rollercoasters? In: Phobias [Edit categories] [Improve]

Acrophobia- Fear of heights.

Tachophobia- Fear of speed.

Ancraophobia- Fear of wind. (Anemophobia)

Aerophobia- Fear of drafts, air swallowing, or airbourne noxious substances.

Aeroacrophobia- Fear of open high places.

Dystychiphobia- Fear of accidents.

Eleutherophobia- Fear of freedom.

Emetophobia- Fear of vomiting.

Thanatophobia or Thantophobia- Fear of death or dying.

I suppose there isn't any specific terms to the fear of a rollercoaster ride, but it could be caused by one of the above mentioned phobias.

rubberband 4 years, 8 months ago

Without a doubt, Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point. Talk about a wicked rush!! The Maverick at Cedar Point is a close second.

Peaty Romano 4 years, 8 months ago

We went to Orlando over spring break. I went on:

Universal Studio:

The Hulk

The Rip Ride Rocket

Sea World:

The Manta

The Kraken

I think I liked the Rocket the best:

The Kraken was a close second. I love roller coasters :)

I managed to get in front car of all of them

rbwaa 4 years, 8 months ago

spacehog (anonymous) says… Why haven't I gotten pinked yet? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ because you are just tooo entertaining.....

dajudge 4 years, 8 months ago

That old wooden one at Joyland in Wichita.

Peaty Romano 4 years, 8 months ago

to Oak - It was a blast. When you get on line as you get closer there is a line to the left that is just for people that want to ride in the front. It takes longer obviously because you have to wait for the front seats. But it's worth it if you ask me. Also, if they don't have that line you can just ask the attendant and I found them to be very accommodating. You only have to wait a little longer is all. I have a super small video recorder and took it with me, if you go on YouTube and search "Peaty" and "Roller Coaster" you can see them. I wasn't able to get a Rocket video because you are so strapped in I couldn't get to it.

JKBagby 4 years, 8 months ago

The Titan at Six Flags Dallas. There seems to always be a bigger faster Ride but i think the best has alot to do with where you were, what you were doing and who you were doing it with. I rode the Mamba at Worlds of Fun in October one year. Standing in line freezing made the ultra fast, short ride memorable. I would like to ride that one on top of that casino in Vegas!

Deja Coffin 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm afraid of roller coasters. Mainly because of the heights but also because I have a fear of not being in control of the situation. Does that make sense? I don't like being on a ride and knowing that if something goes wrong I really can't do anything about it. Guess I'll probably never sky dive either.

Peaty Romano 4 years, 8 months ago

Oak, all things considered the videos came out okay. The video recorder is about the size of half a pack of gum. I have a fear of heights too but I guess I also like being scared. The first roller coaster I ever went on was the Cyclone at Palisades Amusement Park where I grew up in New Jersey.

Check this out:

Makes me feel old though....

Graczyk 4 years, 8 months ago

BruceWayne (anonymous) says…

"the 2009-2010 Kansas Mens Basketball Season."

Damn. Beat me to it.

tomatogrower 4 years, 8 months ago

"Emetophobia- Fear of vomiting"

This is me. I'm not afraid of heights, just afraid of falling from heights. I could stand on top of a tall building and love the view, but couldn't hang of the side of one.

jonas_opines 4 years, 8 months ago

"I'm not afraid of heights, just afraid of falling from heights."

My guess is that you're actually afraid of the sudden stop at the end.

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 8 months ago

That divorce back 1980 was real ride......oh sorry I misunderstood the question. My bad!

tomatogrower 4 years, 8 months ago

jonas_opines (anonymous) says… "I'm not afraid of heights, just afraid of falling from heights."

My guess is that you're actually afraid of the sudden stop at the end

True that.

Mari Aubuchon 4 years, 8 months ago

Batman, an inverted roller coaster at Six Flags in St. Louis

alm77 4 years, 8 months ago

Mari, that's what I was going to say!! But it seems like there was another one just like it at Bush Gardens back in '95. Also the Screaming Eagle was a wooden one that was scary because it sounded like it was going to fall apart.

Sunny Parker 4 years, 8 months ago

Hope and change. It's about to come to an end!