Previous   Next

What is the best roller coaster you have been on?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 28, 2010

Browse the archives

“The Zambezi Zinger at Worlds of Fun. I don’t think it’s there anymore. It had this really huge drop.”

“Shock Wave, Six Flags Over Texas. It’s a double loopty-loop; I lost my glasses.”

“Space Mountain, Disneyland. I was 7. I wore glasses and I had to take them off, so I couldn’t see any of it. It was horrible.”

“The Rattler from San Antonio, Texas, a wooden roller coaster. You think it’s going to break around every turn and it just shakes you a new world.”

Related story

Comments

Jane 4 years ago

Ghost Rider, Knott's Berry Farm. One of the longest and tallest wodden roller coasters in the world. Scary, fast, fun, exhilarating!!! Second place; Sambizi Zinger at worlds of fun, man I miss that coaster. The Schuss-Boomer was great too.

Pywacket 4 years ago

After reading Peaty's comments and some of the others, I have coaster envy. The best I have ridden are all at Worlds of Fun. My sisters have been to Cedar Point in Sandusky many times, but somehow I never got around to going there. Yet.

Snap sez: "That would be I-80 between Joliet and Gary a few years ago, a road that would make a pack mule queasy." ???? I've driven that road many times and never noticed anything out of the ordinary about it. What were you smokin', son?

sunny 4 years ago

Hope and change. It's about to come to an end!

alm77 4 years ago

Mari, that's what I was going to say!! But it seems like there was another one just like it at Bush Gardens back in '95. Also the Screaming Eagle was a wooden one that was scary because it sounded like it was going to fall apart.

Mari Aubuchon 4 years ago

Batman, an inverted roller coaster at Six Flags in St. Louis

tomatogrower 4 years ago

jonas_opines (anonymous) says… "I'm not afraid of heights, just afraid of falling from heights."

My guess is that you're actually afraid of the sudden stop at the end

True that.

jumpin_catfish 4 years ago

That divorce back 1980 was real ride......oh sorry I misunderstood the question. My bad!

jonas_opines 4 years ago

"I'm not afraid of heights, just afraid of falling from heights."

My guess is that you're actually afraid of the sudden stop at the end.

tomatogrower 4 years ago

"Emetophobia- Fear of vomiting"

This is me. I'm not afraid of heights, just afraid of falling from heights. I could stand on top of a tall building and love the view, but couldn't hang of the side of one.

Graczyk 4 years ago

BruceWayne (anonymous) says…

"the 2009-2010 Kansas Mens Basketball Season."

Damn. Beat me to it.

Peaty 4 years ago

Oak, all things considered the videos came out okay. The video recorder is about the size of half a pack of gum. I have a fear of heights too but I guess I also like being scared. The first roller coaster I ever went on was the Cyclone at Palisades Amusement Park where I grew up in New Jersey.

Check this out:

Makes me feel old though....

Deja Coffin 4 years ago

I'm afraid of roller coasters. Mainly because of the heights but also because I have a fear of not being in control of the situation. Does that make sense? I don't like being on a ride and knowing that if something goes wrong I really can't do anything about it. Guess I'll probably never sky dive either.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years ago

Peaty, just checked them out, and they are great! Now, I am even more envious. Thanks for all the work you did putting them on You Tube. You Tube turned out to be one of the best ideas ever.

JKBagby 4 years ago

The Titan at Six Flags Dallas. There seems to always be a bigger faster Ride but i think the best has alot to do with where you were, what you were doing and who you were doing it with. I rode the Mamba at Worlds of Fun in October one year. Standing in line freezing made the ultra fast, short ride memorable. I would like to ride that one on top of that casino in Vegas!

Peaty 4 years ago

to Oak - It was a blast. When you get on line as you get closer there is a line to the left that is just for people that want to ride in the front. It takes longer obviously because you have to wait for the front seats. But it's worth it if you ask me. Also, if they don't have that line you can just ask the attendant and I found them to be very accommodating. You only have to wait a little longer is all. I have a super small video recorder and took it with me, if you go on YouTube and search "Peaty" and "Roller Coaster" you can see them. I wasn't able to get a Rocket video because you are so strapped in I couldn't get to it.

dajudge 4 years ago

That old wooden one at Joyland in Wichita.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years ago

Peaty, how I envy you. It sounds like you had a great time. That is an impressive list. Please, tell me how you managed to be in the first car on all of them?

rbwaa 4 years ago

spacehog (anonymous) says… Why haven't I gotten pinked yet? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ because you are just tooo entertaining.....

Kathy Getto 4 years ago

Marriage - what a wild ride!

prospector 4 years ago

I don't do roller-coasters. They are a pain in my gluteus maximus.

Autie, I understand brown liquor is the best treatment for that.

autie 4 years ago

I rode that mamba thing over at Worlds of fun a few years back....never..ever again. That thing dislocated my medulla oblangata...ouch.

Peaty 4 years ago

We went to Orlando over spring break. I went on:

Universal Studio:

The Hulk

The Rip Ride Rocket

Sea World:

The Manta

The Kraken

I think I liked the Rocket the best:

The Kraken was a close second. I love roller coasters :)

I managed to get in front car of all of them

rubberband 4 years ago

Without a doubt, Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point. Talk about a wicked rush!! The Maverick at Cedar Point is a close second.

spacehog 4 years ago

Why haven't I gotten pinked yet?

spacehog 4 years ago

Wow, RoeDapple, you spanked my monkey while I was still typing!! I didn't think about dysentery though. I was riding the Matterhorn at Disneyland a couple of summers ago. I stood up to take a leak right when we were coming to that tunnel. I hit my head pretty hard and had diarrhea at the same time, which made this guy and his wife from Wisconsin in the seats behind me sick. I mean they both yacked all over me! Talk about a thrill ride!!

spacehog 4 years ago

There isn't really a term for roller coaster phobia. It's mainly a combination of acrophobia- fear of heights, and illygnophobia- fear of vertigo. It can also include claustrophobia, social phobia and mysophobia- fear of germs, depending on how messed up you are. I am totally claustrophobic- physically and emotionally. But I would climb a 700 ft. ladder as long as it was sturdy. My main issue is sober phobia.

RoeDapple 4 years ago

wow grammaddy you hit the jackpot!

What phobia is the fear of rollercoasters? In: Phobias [Edit categories] [Improve]

Acrophobia- Fear of heights.

Tachophobia- Fear of speed.

Ancraophobia- Fear of wind. (Anemophobia)

Aerophobia- Fear of drafts, air swallowing, or airbourne noxious substances.

Aeroacrophobia- Fear of open high places.

Dystychiphobia- Fear of accidents.

Eleutherophobia- Fear of freedom.

Emetophobia- Fear of vomiting.

Thanatophobia or Thantophobia- Fear of death or dying.

I suppose there isn't any specific terms to the fear of a rollercoaster ride, but it could be caused by one of the above mentioned phobias.

BruceWayne 4 years ago

the 2009-2010 Kansas Mens Basketball Season.

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

grammaddy 4 years ago

What's the phobia against roller coasters called?

ohjayhawk 4 years ago

Milennium Force at Cedar Point (Top Thrill Dragster was not running last time I was there. So, I haven't tried that one yet)

spacehog 4 years ago

The Porcelain Throne. It's the white ride in my bathroom. I really have to prep for this one. I drink a gallon of Gallo White, pop 3-4 ecstacy, a handful of yellow jackets and black beauties, 2 quaaludes and then POW! I'm slamming into walls, doing the half-pipe in the bathtub, ending up in the fetal position under the sink. I ended up with 7 stitches in my head last time, so I now have a seatbelt installed on the throne. Beat that, Six Flags!!

Multidisciplinary 4 years ago

↑ I'll left you know if I ever I get my braces unhooked from this one.↑

buteaa 4 years ago

Uh.... Mine would have to be this one...

Top Thrill Dragster is a steel, hydraulically-launched roller coaster located at Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, Ohio (same owners own worlds of fun).

It was the first "Strata Coaster," (a complete circuit coaster that is over 400 feet tall) and is one of only 2 stratacoasters in existence, the other being Kingda Ka (2005) at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey.

t was built by Intamin AG and debuted to the public on May 4, 2003. When Top Thrill Dragster first debuted, it set three new records:

* Tallest coaster
* Fastest top speed of any coaster
* Steepest drop on a roller coaster

Height 420 ft (130 m) Drop 400 ft (120 m) Length 2,800 ft (850 m) Max speed 120 mph (190 km/h) Acceleration 0 to 120 mph (0 to 193 km/h) in 3.8 seconds Duration 17 sec.

Official Top Thrill Dragster POV in HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbN3NU...

Donnuts 4 years ago

The roller coaster affair I had with this blonde in a house near Albuquerque. She taught me French. It was a real torrid affair.